Motorino XPD Speed Limiter Removal

RavenDF

1 µW
Reposting this here in hopes of a better chance for some info.

I last year i purchased a Motorino XPD from my local ebike shop(Here in Beautiful BC, Canada)
I ended up getting the Lithium-ion battery upgrade for it (went with the 60V one for that extra speed boost, currently getting about 45 km/h) but i was wondering if it's possible and what it would take to remove the speed Limited on this bad-boy i could see it easily hitting 50km/h or more and i'd love to do it providing it's nothing too complicated, as i'm still rather newbish regarding E-bikes.

After reading some forums and thread, i've heard a lot of people saying it was easy, but no one ever says HOW to do it, like where the hell is the youtube video with a step by step haha, or maybe it so easy that a monkey can do it,, ether way some help would be lovely.

(Also yes i realize TECHNICALLY it's illegal to exceed 32 km/h, but as i said above mine does 45 km/h currently anyway, but the cops around my area don't mind as long as your're following the road laws and not doing anything stupid and you have your pedals on (my god if they stop you and you don't have those pedals on.. look out here comes a fine up the ass.)

Thanks in advanced for all and all help.

~SRN

If you are already doing 45 km/h with your 210 pound scooter equiped with a 500 watt motor and a 60V battery, I'm pretty sure that the speed limiter has been taken off the controller. Another thing that tells me the limiter is off is the fact that the e-bike shop sells 60V upgrades for scooters that are built with a 48V system and are supposed to be limited to 32 km/h. It's a good way for them to void your warranty from the start.
You are at maximum speed that 60V will give you, to go faster, you need more volts which your controller will not accept, your DC/DC converter will not accept and your 500 watt motor will not accept without overheating in the first 3 km you travel, frying the hall sensors or shorting the windings.

If you are lightweight, like under 180 pounds, then enjoy your scooter at 45 km/h. If you are heavier than 190, think of going back to limiting the top speed. On a hot summer day, the motor will not like carrying a heavy rider at a constant speed of 45 km/h.

Good luck.

I have an XPD which I've removed the limiter from. On the stock 48v SLA battery with the limiter removed, I get 45km/h. I'm about to upgrade to 60v, so I'll let you know what speed I'm able to get out of that.

I'm a bit skeptical you bought yours new at 60v. It seems like that would void the warranty, and I have doubts any official motorino dealer would do that. I'm also confused that you say you're going over 32km/hr. Since, A: it's illegal and I doubt any dealer would risk the liability of selling it. Also, B: they'd need to replace the dc-dc converter and probably the controller; they can't just drop in a 60v battery and expect it to work. And finally, C: like mrcrash said, the limiter should be stopping you from going over 32km/hr anyway.

Anyhow, the limiter is a jumper wire that goes out of the controller and back into it. I think it'll be a different colour of wire depending on what revision of the controller you have. On mine it's a thin, 24ga wire that's white with a blue stripe. It has a connector in the middle of it, and if you unplug that it takes away the 32km/hr limit.

Okay, so by "blue and white wire" I meant the other white wire instead. The blue/white is the regen function, the solid white one is the governor. At least on my controller. Your mileage may vary, offer in participating stores only, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. If symptoms persist more than four hours, contact your doctor.

Edit: I've now upgraded to 60v. The top speed I've gotten so far is 59km/hr, fresh off the charger, carrying my 215lb ass, the 40lb lithium battery, and the 60lb lead acid battery. After it settled down to 63v, I was getting a max speed of 55km/hr.

That's about right that is what I get with my beastie, I will soon bee adding a secondary 60 v pack made to fit all the cranies in the bike, lithium with a BMs

inedible said:
Okay, so by "blue and white wire" I meant the other white wire instead. The blue/white is the regen function, the solid white one is the governor. At least on my controller. Your mileage may vary, offer in participating stores only, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. If symptoms persist more than four hours, contact your doctor.

Ok, lurked here for a while, posting now because I just "found that wire" today and whoooooo! Before I seemed to be capped at 28 kmh on flat ground with my 140lb body... and now I can hit 38 kmh but thats it. Its still better but is there any reason I was only getting 28 kmh (not 32!) and now just 38 (not 45?).... ?
I just have a 48 v battery.... is that it? If so, how much for Li-Ion? Thanks....
(PS - yes, it is the single, skinny, white wire to disconnect!)

210 lbs!!!!! Holy god, man! Get an ebike! My build comes in at like 75 lbs and it's not that light and will do 90 klicks top speed cruse at 60 all day.

Little bit late here, but I can't seem to find how to do this. First off, how do I access the controller?

3 screws on the right rear panel, lift up and remove indicator plug. Now you should be looking at a mess of wires, there's a plug (2 pin) that is probably grey/white, could be anything, but basically its a loop that you can unplug and viola! The loop is about 1 1/2 inches long and you should be able to spot it, all the rest go somewhere but this one doesn't, it just loops back into the other side of the 2 pin plug. Try it before you put it back togetg just in case it's the wrong one. Unlikely. Also solder 1/3 of the shunt solid, it gives you much better acceleration and makes your battery charge disappear followed by a huge grin.

Does anyone live in Vancouver area that could help me. I’d pay you to do this for me. I’ve taken apart the seat but can’t make sense if any of the wires. Let me know. Thank you. Jennifer.

2020 Motorino Xpn - 60v 500W - 5X12v Batts

Even with the 'white wire disconnected' still only getting 'barely' 30km/h. Have owned others - same model - and am thinking that 'Steve' or gang has done something else to limit speed. Previous bikes - no problem. Want to switch to lithium and wondering if it best to buy a new, cheap controller from Amazon (which one?) or wire in my 'ok' controller from my 2018 Xpn. Any advice as to exact inputs so I have a Lio batt pack and a controller that allows me ~ 45'ish would be highly appreciated. Can reach me - strongjobs@gmail.com
If you own a Motorino then you know that you need do your own repairs as the staff (that change 100% every year) are complete morons - and the owners could give a shit about you. They embarrass themselves with their lies.

Vancouver rider said:
Even with the 'white wire disconnected' still only getting 'barely' 30km/h. Have owned others - same model - and am thinking that 'Steve' or gang has done something else to limit speed. .
Is the speed of the wheel exactly the same with the wheel offground as it is when riding, at full throttle in both cases?

If it is faster offground then it's typically not a limiter, but rather insufficient motor power for whatever reason.

Back