Motorino XPn Upgrade to Kelly controller

Greetings,
I bought a not-so-used (130km) 2012 XPn for $1400, which was a steal considering it was in a showroom condition and the battery was well kept. Lucky for me, the guy lived a few blocks from me, near Ottawa's IKEA.
Click on each picture for a larger version.
Side-shot.jpg
Since I had 4 new 12V 22AH SLA batteries, I decided to put them in parallel with the existing 4x12V 20AH batteries for extra range.
After charging them individually, I hooked them up and used expanded polyurethane foam ($7 @HomeDepot) and nothing will ever move these lead weights. It's very easy to take out with a large kitchen knife when the time comes. I uses left over household wire from electric dryer wiring. I think is 8 AWG, composed of 7 strands conductors (Red, Black, White) and a separate solid copper ground wire. A lot cheaper ($0) than buying wires. I am pretty sure they are at least twice as hefty as what is currently being used.
before:
original-batteries-small.jpg
I cut the rear wall out.
Rear-batt-compartment.jpg
and after:
Bat-upgrade-full.jpg
Rear-batt-comp-finished.jpg

Does anyone have a more detailed and complete wiring info? It will save me hours trying to find what goes where on the small signal wires?

I don't like the way the current controller's throttle responds. Or should I say the inability to keep a steady or linear speed movement. Also I would like to be able to go to Li batteries when these fatsos die. Speaking of fatsos, I weight 210 lbs and the batteries are around 120 lbs. That's one fat pig of a scooter! The range I got from the original setup was about 40 Km on the economy setting. about 20 Km on speed setting which did about 45Kph. Now I get about 60 Km on Torque setting which goes around 40 Kph.
Hard to tell with the crappy stock speedometer, so I checked with 2 different GPS makes and they both showed that the speedometer was 2-3 km faster than actual. which isn't a big deal.
I got in touch with motorino and asked for a wiring diagram! They must have had a good giggle! They said they don't, but sent me this crap as an official motorino knowledge base. :D
View attachment XPWiringDiagram.pdf

I asked the guy "What does the factory use to wire the scooters? From memory?" the guy tells me "that's all we have" :x
Well, I wanted to say "maybe you could contact the factory and ask them to email or fax you a copy?", but then realized, the whole story of any part of this scooter was designed in Canada, is bogus. I am beginning to think that some Chinese company copied the Yamaha Vino 125 chassis and converted them to electric with new fiberglass panel designs and are selling them to whomever fulfills factory's quotas. I bet If I knew which company, I could approach them and ask them for the exact same thing but with a different name. I was thinking 100 units a month should do it. Not an expensive new business to start!?
That would explain why Motorino Canada does not even have a wiring diagram. The Factory won't give it out. The Chinese copycat factory is afraid that someone will copy them if they gave out this sort of detailed info.

Has anyone in the XP family owners, experienced front rotor warping?

Mine has warped now and I hardly ever used the front brakes and the regen slows down the bike so much that I could come to a stop the "Fred Flintstone's" way.
The wobble when braking is very slight, but enough to bug me.
I think my next order of business is to take all the paneling off (again) and attack the wires with a multimeter and tag the wires before messing with it and figure out what the hell am I dealing with, before I dive in and find the pool empty halfway in the air. :oops:
I am a retired electrical engineer. In my 30 years, I only got to design about half a dozen H-Bridge controllers but they were all for brushed DC and under 50 Amps.
Did a bit of training using the Microchip's BLDC motor kit for the PIC18. These boards where for educational purposes and only handled 1/2 Amp. So, I am quite familiar with small scale hardware. Which mind you, with the right FETS and FET drivers, you can get any power you want, as long as you don't go over the limit of the output stage's design specs.
I could use your experience if you've done a conversion with a Kelly controller (KEB72451X) or if you can comment your ideas and experiences with your conversion.
I am curious to see what would stop working? Any of you around the west end of Ottawa?

Sent you a pm, i am in east end ottawa, ie Orleans but can take a trip out your way

Jim

Not meaning to be a jerk, but I would definitely read a comic book where Electronman meets up with Laserman! If they conquered the evil MotorinoMan, it would be all the better.

Lol we will have to take a pic or two if we meet heh and look for Spider-Man to take out heeh

I was expecting that you already did the change to a Kelly controller and you were sharing all the details on how you did it. I'm a bit disappointed. But I look forward to see what happens with your date with Laserman :lol:

IMHO, Motorino is just a brand name that belongs to Greenwit Technologies, which is supposed to be the Canadian manufacturer of Motorino scooters. I'm afraid they are nothing more than an importer of Chinese scooters with a Chinese motor that they claim to be of their own design. But then I might be wrong.

LOL :)
That was really funny. I needed the laugh after today.
I got a close look at the Kelly controller and was shocked when I saw the $38 extra I paid for a waterproof case, turn out to be a glue job. and not a good one at that.
It doesn't look like I am going to use this controller and will send it back. :cry:
I will deal with that Fany Bi*ch from Kelly later.
Anyways, I ordered this controller instead;
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6129201754.html
Can you believe the prices? right? and no shipping fees.
Since I was in the neighborhood, I bought one of these digital blue voltmeters.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6129201754.html
and one of these for good measure
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6123685487.html
since they are so cheap and cute, and 3 times being the charm and all that, I bought one of these as well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6123685482.html
Xmas in Ottawa's June Hey :D

mistercrash said:
I was expecting that you already did the change to a Kelly controller and you were sharing all the details on how you did it. I'm a bit disappointed. But I look forward to see what happens with your date with Laserman :lol:

IMHO, Motorino is just a brand name that belongs to Greenwit Technologies, which is supposed to be the Canadian manufacturer of Motorino scooters. I'm afraid they are nothing more than an importer of Chinese scooters with a Chinese motor that they claim to be of their own design. But then I might be wrong.
Sorry to disappoint mistercrash. I enjoyed reading about your journey through the years on this forum. Nice job.
This is a nice scooter but the wiring sucks big time. Everything else under the hood looks well made. The electronics, I don't know. They look generic half-ass (half surface mount) typical Chinese standard.
I don't think any part was even designed here. Specially the motor. I don't see anything special about the motor. Or am I missing something?

Well we talked on the phone today and had a bit of a blast, sparks and laser beams going wild everywhere hehe, I ordered some goodies a while back and if you want to see them the are here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58654 the total cost was 27$ delivered

Well was able to get a few caps from a buddy here in Orleans, the only thing is instead of 100v they are 200v would that make any difference and I will be getting him some close up pics of the controller board and seeing if he or my electronics club could figure out the regen section and get it working with higher voltages

Laserman said:
Well was able to get a few caps from a buddy here in Orleans, the only thing is instead of 100v they are 200v would that make any difference and I will be getting him some close up pics of the controller board and seeing if he or my electronics club could figure out the regen section and get it working with higher voltages
They may be twice as big! But the will work.
Make the extension leads as short and thick as possible to minimize inductance. Which will negate the purpose of a capacitor (reservoir) to provide power faster than the PCB traces and the battery will allow, and also to capture the reverse spike when the power is switched off to the phase coils.
Some good designs put a lot of capacitors in parallel. Let's say you wanted a 470uF 100v. the best way is, to find smaller 100V caps (like 10 x 47uF) and hook them up in parallel. This will reduce the ESR (effective series resistance) just as if you put resistors in parallel. The lower the ERS, the better the cap.
However, unlike resistors, the values get added as in resistors placed in series.
Hope this tidbit helps some one.

Yes they are large but if they do not fit I will have to get some true 100v caps

Thanks I forgot about caps acting like series in parallel for the values :roll: been a while for me since I have been working with ccts

Well, I decided to shed the 60Kg SLA batteries for a 48v LiFePo4. Since the 48V 22AH I added is only 2-3 weeks old, I think I can sell them on Kijiji for anything from UPS batteries etc...
I was searching and searching for the best deal I can get my hands on.
I came across this seller on AliExpress.
So, I email ping and asked him why his prices where so much higher?
Here is his response,

Hi Mark,
Based on the size and weight they listed, if they’re true, that battery pack cannot be 48v30ah. It could be only 22-25ah. You can purchase one to verify it with cycle analyst.
The BMS and charger on our battery pack are totally different with theirs. Our BMS has red LEDs to indicate if those channels have been fully balanced. Our charger has aluminum casing and has almost double cost of theirs.
The biggest difference should be the battery cells. I don’t like to bad mouth others. You can find many references on bike forums.
Any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Best regards,
Ping

On one hand, I want to believe him, On the other hand, I can buy a 48V 40AH and even if it gives me 30AH, I will be saving hundreds $. Who cares about LEDs when I can't even see them when installed in the current battery bays inside the chassis?
My question to you guys is;
"Have you heard for - or dealt with this seller"?
I thought about going to 60V or even 72 volts, but I don't really need the extra speed. I am comfy doing 40-45 Kph. I think shedding the 45 Kg (a small person) difference in weight alone will help in acceleration and millage. Also, I don't want to change the 12V DC/DC converter, and possibly lose the dash instruments.
What say you? :)

A lot of people here have used ping , go to the battery tech section and ask about more info from there

Jim

Laserman said:
A lot of people here have used ping , go to the battery tech section and ask about more info from there
I have no doubt it's because ping sells quality stuff. I am seeing many new suppliers popup on aliexpress and some have very good deals, but have not established credibility yet.
I am weary of the Chinese quality, but then I remind myself, it's all made there anyways.
There are a lot of these sellers that are not manufacturers but pretend to be. The best way I can tell these pretenders apart, is by looking at their "ready to ship in ? days". If it's more than a couple of days for them to ship it, they are the pimps of the hi-tech industry. :pancake: They take orders first, then order it from the real factory and ship it to you when he gets it.
That's what a lot of the young intelligent Chinese are doing. They know a bit of English and know how to work the web and get themselves registered here and there and you have yourself a new seller of many electronic items.
It's actually very interesting to see how we are swapping places with a communist third-world nation like China of the 50's.
Now, the communist party is as corrupt and money loving, as any capitalist on earth. :evil:
Anyways, once in a while, a whole bunch of good batteries like the ones from the Nissan Leaf and other A123 types of Li-xxxx hit the online market.
That's the time to buy. I prefer the LiFePO4 chemistry and they are showing up more and more.

I have been checking the local wreckers for possible. Leaf batteries as I have a friend that runs one and knows others and is keeping a eye out for me for some packs when ever they might come in and I would be doing a self pull on the battery pack. If any come in would you be interested in some 8)

Laserman said:
I have been checking the local wreckers for possible. Leaf batteries as I have a friend that runs one and knows others and is keeping a eye out for me for some packs when ever they might come in and I would be doing a self pull on the battery pack. If any come in would you be interested in some 8)
I would be interested if you can get them in LiFePO4 chemistry but doubt it. Anyways, put me down for 48V @ 40AH or there abouts.
Cheers, Mark

Found this on amazon witch is similar to my motorino xpr scooter e bike and looks like it is for the instrument panel / gauges if not let me know i will keep looking for you sending a picture of it as well

Back