Electricmoto blade build/upgrade

agniusm

1 MW
So i have a task on building enduro bike for my brother. i need to choose the frame wise so i can slip into legal path. We have new law that allows motor bikes of up to 1kW and 25kph here. Nothing said about pedals so there is no need for them. i am looking for light frame at the moment and at this moment settled on Peugeot XPC 50CC.
I have bought 8 new Nissan Leaf modules so this will be our battery pack, 60V 55-60AH. I am thinking and getting sorted for Transmag 6.5 inch 6kW nominal motor. I think single reduction will be fine. I hope to use HY-XDRIVE sinewave controller on the bike which is 6kw nominal. More to follow

agniusm said:
We have new law that allows motor bikes of up to 1kW and 25kph here.

That is a reasonable step, does it replace the usual 250W 25kph ebike limit, or something else?
It would be good to spread in more countries. In fact I prefer more power and only speed limit for ebikes, because 2-300W is enough only to roll on a flat road. But when there's a small hill... I would allow ebikes to have enough power to climb any hill at 25kph (or 30), because if we can go on a flat road at 25kph, then why not on a hill?

Is this 1kW 25kph allowed on bicycle lanes? Registration and driving license needed or not?
Is it allowed to have more power/speed modes, or the law does not speak about that?

I could only find pictures of Peugeot XPS, not XPC. It looks to be a true backbone frame that doesn't need the engine for any structural reason. You'd be wise to confirm this for yourself, and worse case would probably be using just the rear part of the transmission case for rigidity near the swingarm attachment area.

It takes a large motor like that to provide all the low speed torque allowed by the law. Smaller, lower torque motors only work well at full RPM. I like the approach you are taking with robust equipment instead of over-stressing bicycle parts.

Got all components for the battery:

20141008_183632.jpg

Hi !

I'm working on a similar project so i'll fllow yours. I use the rolling chassis of bultaco Astro. It was my 50cc ICE when i was younger... It also exists as a dirt bike called Bultaco Lobito. The frame is a bit old in its design but the suspension is the best you can get on a 50cc.
My project is budget limited so i'm using spare parts from work. The motor is Motenergy/Mars 0907 that will be pushed to the limit and the controller is a sevcon size 4, 48V/450A but can handle 69v i think.

Bultaco astro.jpg
bultaco-lobito-06.jpg

I was thinking of RC Lipos for the battery but the Nissan leaf modules are getting popular! i might reconsider ! Where do you get them ?
The transmag motor looks cool but do you have more details on it ?

good luck with the build !

Thanks. I am not sure on the rest of the components, money is limited factor at the moments till winter time. I didn't liked lipos fro the start, its a mess and risk. These batts are all oem with connectors and brackets. I got them from a felow that I get some of the stuff for ev projects and he is local country wise. I like your bike and motor/controller choice I would think is not bad ether.
I cant go with 48v controller as they top out at 60v and my battery would be at 65.6V if I'm conservative at 4.1/cell. Need to figure out how much I loose charging to 3.75v

So took a bite and bought Electricmoto blade, almost complere. Need fork, front wheel axle and mudguards. With it came genuine Etek motor and 60V 400A alltrax conttoller. Will be fitting 7 leaf modules and from tgis point in time it looks difficult. Might need to do some work on the frame. Does anyone know material of the frame? Is it steel, cromoly or aluminum?

After looking at various conversion possibilities this bike came up on ES for sale section. We have received the bike in a nice shape. Few bits still needs purchased like front fork, contactor, charger and bms. Will go with DNM USD-8 fork. Will be fitting 7 leaf modules. At the moment I have relocated controller under the seat. Made cover so it does not look blunt and fitted tail light. Still need to make cable side controller cover from dirt out of plastic.
Will be fitting 5 modules in frame and another 2 outside the frame if there is enough space when fork is fully compressed. Should be a nice bike to ride.
Progress:
20141031_092824.jpg

20141031_093603.jpg

20141031_153110.jpg

20141031_153048.jpg

20141031_153100.jpg

20141102_161151.jpg

20141102_161139.jpg

20141102_161200.jpg

Could someone advise on contactor? Alltrax states 250A for 400A controller and 400A for 450 axe model. I have 400A but I can only get 200A or 400A contactor. Which one to go for?

Had a blast yesterday/today. Made battery boxes. Made enclosure for fingerprint ignition. Also mounts for the outside frame battery module:
20141107_190426.jpg

20141108_162300.jpg

20141108_114824.jpg

20141108_162236.jpg

20141108_162242.jpg

20141108_162247.jpg

I think i will need to lower the motor. Not enough space for large battery module.

Have reworked motor mount to lower the motor to allow more battery space:
20141110_170511.jpg

Now I need to take off the pulley but I dont know how. Does any one knows how to proceed?

20141110_170810.jpg

Got the pulley off, preliminary fitting of the main battery box:

20141111_141533.jpg

20141111_141539.jpg

20141111_141603.jpg

Had to cut into top tube to allow some more space to fit the battery:

20141111_141628.jpg

Started to work on a battery web:

20141111_172735.jpg

Hi there , looking good !
The only thing I'm not sure about is your motor guard. I get the weight reduction with the holes and such but I'm afraid it'll catch stuff rather than slide on them. ... It happened to me once with a branch between the gear selector and the protection plate on my dirt bike ... and it hurt !

Its not meant for sliding. I had to lower the motor and now it protrudes the frame. If I would hit it on a stone or rock, no doubt it would crack motor casing. I awoided smaller holes just to save some weight as my battery is heavy - 22kg.

Are you going to use a forced-air blower? I see your motor has the port for one.
It might be a good idea since the air flow to the motor is blocked by box in front of it.
Might be OK without it depending on how much power you run.

I haven't thought about it yet :) My top power i am playing with is 6kW. This one is 17 peak. Do you mean the hole in plastic lid? Is that designed for forced air cooling?

agniusm said:
I haven't thought about it yet :) My top power i am playing with is 6kW. This one is 17 peak. Do you mean the hole in plastic lid? Is that designed for forced air cooling?

Yes. In the floor buffer application they used a centrifugal blower attached by a hose (looks like a vacuum cleaner hose).
Even without the blower, the spinning rotor will push some air through the motor.

Good to know, thanks. I could perhaps mount somewhere a good 120mm pc fan out of debris and dirt with some filtering and chanel it down the hose. Will see if it needs be. Always good to have a reserve :)

agniusm said:
.....i need to choose the frame wise so i can slip into legal path. We have new law that allows motor bikes of up to 1kW and 25kph here. Nothing said about pedals so there is no need for them. ...
I'm confused ?
Does this build allow you to run on the highway under this law ?
Or is this purely for "off road" use ?

Back