ego scoota fully charged but nothing happens

egoscoota

1 µW
Hi all,

first of all thank you guys for all the info you put in these forums.
It's after reading hundreds of posts in endless-sphere that I decided to buy
an Ego scoota, willing to mod the little baby in something powerful
and reliable to ride.
I managed to drive it to my place after the purchase with no problems, then I recharged the batteries using the factory charger, until full charge.
I turned the isolator switch to ''OFF'' and went to work.
When I was back home I plugged the charger again for few minutes, forgetting to move the isolator switch to "ON". I unplugged the charger again, turned the isolator to "ON" and the ignition key as well.
Surprisingly the meter of the battery indicated a low level of charge and after few seconds there were no signs of life from the scooter. Even the light of the battery meter disappeared.
What's happened????? The batteries look full, I tested the master negative and positive
and the reading is 54v (there are 5 12v batteries, 4 in series and the fifth is in parallel with the fourth one).

Please help,
thanks in advance

Hmm, interesting that there should be a fifth battery in parallel with the fourth one, rather than all in series.

Will the scooter charge at all? Or is it completely dead?

Perhaps some more photos of the battery arrangement and what the instruments say would help.

54V from 4x 12V SLA looks about right. At first I would try to switch ON/OFF the circuit breaker as well as the keylock to be sure there is not a weak contact. Also check the wires leading to the circuit breaker are on place and firmly tighted.

Hi again guys,

jonescg, the batteries are charging properly.
yes ctirad, the isolator switch is the problem!!!
But turn it on and off is not enough.

I've taken out the cables that are inserted in it, connected the cable manually, got a nasty sparkle, then I put the cables back into the isolator switch, turned the switch to "ON" and everything come back to life.

Now I a want to sell the batteries and upgrade to lithium, and increase the size of the wheels. Do you know any resource I could look at to gather some info about this mod?
I'd like to have 13inches wheels instead of the tiny ones I have now, I don't mind to change forks and suspensions if required.

Thanks

Back