Chinese Motor Controller Throttle

jordan314

1 mW
Hi!
I'm trying to control a 36V brushless motor with a 36V motor controller I bought from China. I have the five hall wires hooked up, 3 motor wires, power and ground to the battery, and also there's a "ignition" wire that I hooked up to the battery at 36v as well. I bought an ignition switch that has a momentary start connection that I tried hooking the ignition line up to, but that didn't work so I just hooked it up to the 36V line.
When I turn the controller on and turn the throttle, nothing happens. When I plug the learn line in, the motor spins up to full speed, then goes to half speed for about 10 seconds, and then stops. Still, twisting the throttle does nothing. I'm measuring the throttle outputting between .8 and 4.5V or so when open. It's just a hall sensor throttle so I tried a 100K pot as well but that didn't work either. Do I need to do something else, such as connecting a brake or anti theft, to have the controller start responding to the throttle?
Thanks!

If you're getting 5V on the throttle supply, then you know the controller is on. You already tested the throttle itself. That leaves only connections or the controller. Activating ebrake is typically a short to ground, so make sure that's not activated. If the controller has PAS (Pedal ASsist) then that could prevent the throttle from working independently, so if it has it try the throttle plugged in there. Anti-theft could also make it not go.

A picture of the controller with all the different wires spread out would be helpful.

Thank you for your reply! Photos attached. I don't have pedal assist but do have an anti-theft connection. I also have "Brake High" which is one yellow wire and "Brake Low" which has 4 wires. Not sure what connections those are expecting.
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 10.24.23 AM.jpg
View attachment 1
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 10.23.07 AM.jpg

Attached is also the instructions the seller sent when I emailed him, not too helpful.
"1. Connected the controller, turn on the power lock, docking the learning line."

The only way i can get it to do anything is to attach the power and ignition line to 36V, and plug the learn cables into each other after.
=====
"1. Connected the controller, turn on the power lock, docking the learning line."
2. If the motor clockwise running, switch off the learning line,then use normally.
3. If the motor reversed running, switch off the learning line then docking the line
again.
4. After the motor clockwise running, please switch off the learning line, then use
normally.
The connect wire direction for Intelligent controller:
Power Input
Thick red line positive power; black line negative power; thin red (orange) line power lock
Motor Output
Thick yellow line U; Thick blue line V; Thick green line W
Rolling handle signal input
Thin red line+5V; thin green line rolling handle signal; thin black ground line
Hall (U、V、W)
Thin red line+5V; Thin black ground ling; Thin yellow line W; Thin green line V; Thin blue line U
 Button of 3 Speed
Thin pink line; Thin black ground line
 Shift of 3 Speed
Blue low speed signal; Brown high speed signal;Black ground line
Brakes (Soft EABS+
Thin purple line (soft EABS); Thin black ground line (low storage battery brake)
 Mechanical brakes
Thin yellow line (high storage battery brake: +48V)
Assist power sensor
Thin red line +5V; Thin black ground line;Thin yellow sensor signal
Instrument (Speed)
Thin green line
 Cruise
Thin blue line; Thin black ground line
Self-learning
Thin white line (docking the SM line)
 Reverse
Thin black ground line; Thin gray line
 Split alarm
Thin red line+48V power; Thin black ground line
Thin orange line of power lock; Thin green line for alarm output; Thin blue line for alarm signal
Caution: The function with label is optional.

Attachments

• 265000-018.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 541
So according to the instructions, the non-optional wires are power, ignition, motor output, throttle, hall, brakes, pedal assist, gauge, and learn.
I have power, ignition, motor output, throttle, hall, and learn hooked up. I don't think the controller has pedal assist (I don't see the wires that would connect them).
So I'll try hooking up brakes next, and also just ordered a gauge...Maybe it won't run without a battery gauge? Either that or I have the wrong kind of throttle. It wouldn't be a resistive throttle would it?

I hired a local ebike expert to help me figure this out. It turns out the 4 wires labeled "Brake Low" were incorrect and had the three throttle wires I needed. The 3 wires labeled "Throttle" were...Who knows. Anyway, it's working now!

Back