2010 Zero S. Project update:2/12/18

Duck-Stew

10 mW
New to the forum, new to electric vehicles and am in awe by what some here (and elsewhere) have accomplished w/their projects. I have some ideas for electric motorcycles, but this was so cheap that I figure it will be a great low-$ learning tool for me. Been an ICE-motor-head for decades now... Just tired of pistons, valves, timing, fuel injection, ignition curves, clutches... Yeah. I don't need to continue here. Pistons suck.

Purchased a cheap (it would have to be, right?) 2010 Zero S only five minutes from my house on Tuesday. Typical (or so I'm learning) poor maintenance of the poor to begin with battery pack and a LOT of neglect by the former owner...

So, some of the LED's light up on the charger (I believe it's the charger... black box under the battery, yes?) but that's about it. Quickly quits flashing after removing the 110VAC power.

My question is this: Where do I begin to investigate if the charger/main board are even good? I'd like to do a 7-leaf cell conversion and put a few miles on this for (hopefully) cheap $ but if the charger and/or main board are history, then I'm thinking 10 leaf cells, a charger, controller and BMS might be in order... Or just sell the parts off and start up a custom build (which was going to come a year or so later anyways).

Humbly submitted,
--Stuart

You'd probably have to start by checking

individual cell (group) voltages, first without charger plugged into wall, then during charge

output voltage of the charger during charge

Then list all those here, so we can further advise. If a cell is too low, the BMS should stop the charger from being able eto ever charge the pack at all, so at that point you'd either have to bring that cell up (potential fire risk depending on why it is low and other factors) with an individual cell charger or power supply, or replace it.

Duck-Stew said:
New to the forum, new to electric vehicles ...
.....Or just sell the parts off and start up a custom build (which was going to come a year or so later anyways).

Humbly submitted,
--Stuart
Use this as a self learning tool....you seem to know what is going to be needed, but.if you cannot fix this issue then you may be biting off too much with a full scratch build.
At worst, you already have a decent frame, power train , etc to build on .

I should be able to get it onto my work-table in the next few days where I'm planning to remove the cables from the controller to the Agni and connect up a 12VDC power supply to the Agni to verify its' operation...

Any progress with your Zero?

Here are some more links that may be useful
adding external balance connectors to battery by Doctorbass http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2076.0
BMS interface pinout by Doctorbass http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4250.msg26960#msg26960
List of commands for MBB and BMS by Doctorbass http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2364.msg9549#msg9549
MBB settings by ElectricCowboy for race and commute http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2484.0 and Doctorbass http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2925.0

there was also a circuit that Doctorbass posted showing how to activate the battery pack with a relay when it was removed from the motorcycle, maybe do a search on here or the electricmotorcycle forum

Duck-Stew said:
I should be able to get it onto my work-table in the next few days where I'm planning to remove the cables from the controller to the Agni and connect up a 12VDC power supply to the Agni to verify its' operation...

Hahaha... August 8th I said I would get it onto my work-table in a few days. That happened last night, November 3rd! Wow. Life DOES get in the way!

Ok, since it's now officially a "GO", I will certainly check out all the information provided 'jateureka'. Thank you!

(side-note: Purchased a '15 Leaf SL 3 weeks ago. My wife & I's *first* EV. We're LOVING it and since we both ride, we're getting more excited about the Zero project!) 8)

Ok, so things are evolving... I now have an electrical engineer on board and we're thinking of upping the ante a bit:

So, here's the list:
Higher battery voltage
New bms
New charger
New controller
And most importantly: BLDC motor swap. So, what BLDC would you all recommend in place of the Agni 95R?

My goal is to improve range (would like ~60-70 miles) over the original bike, improve top speed for occasional freeway stints (75mph would be good) and to just use this chassis as a blank page.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_H6Z4cXJY

Decided on a 96vdc system (12x Nissan leaf cells) with a Re-Volt RV160-Pro (same as project Blue-Smoke) wound to 56KV. Kelly has a 500A sine-wave controller (KLS96501-8080I) to slightly over compensate for the overrated Kelly specs as the motor is said to take 300A max. 16/72 gearing (1:4.5 ratio) and a 130/90/16 tire yeilds ~4500motor rpm at about 80mph.

That yeilds a 6.1kwh battery pack, about 28hp and from what I'm understanding about 56#/ft of torque. ReVolt now offers the motor with a liquid cooling option so I'll be getting that for sure.

Now to find a charger (set up for 240 & 120 vac input to take advantage of my J1772 Juice-Box charger), a BMS system and a 96-12v DC to DC... Suggestions? Thoughts? Am I missing anything here?

How did this end up going? I have a zero mx frame and was thinking about a similar set up: RV-160/leaf/Kelly. Also, any more info on water cooling the RV, I didn't see anything about it on the site. I hope this project worked out!

Reedicus said:
How did this end up going? I have a zero mx frame and was thinking about a similar set up: RV-160/leaf/Kelly. Also, any more info on water cooling the RV, I didn't see anything about it on the site. I hope this project worked out!

Got put on a "hold" due to funds. When I was last in discussions w/the guy @ ReVolt, he mentioned a new RV-160 with a liquid cooling option. I'm guessing he was about done w/prototyping. This was February?!? I'm not sure.

I still have the chassis and honestly, I really want to put it on the road but funds just won't be available for this until late summer at the earliest.

Also, the Motenergy ME1507 will fit in the chassis of my '10 Zero S and it's a brushless motor of higher power... So there's that.

Project soldiers on.

Sevcon Gen 4/Size 6 and an ME1507 is on order from Travis w/EMF-Power. Power will be from (yet to be purchased) 13x Leaf cells.

Another of my goals is to source quality motorcycle grade components to replace the Chinese "pit-bike" sourced suspension, brakes and wheels. So far, the only thing on that list I can say has been replaced is the rear shock. Nearly a direct swap to a Honda Grom shock. I'll be seeing how it rides/suspends and if inadequate, will replace w/an Ohlins unit.

Sevcon Gen4/Size6 & ME1507 arrived today. Stoked!

Attachments

• 8D76958E-F3E5-487D-95D4-EA56E0CCE6A6.jpeg
    8D76958E-F3E5-487D-95D4-EA56E0CCE6A6.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 4,049
  • 98EB25FB-9CE9-4DB8-9718-33249FAA875D.jpeg
    98EB25FB-9CE9-4DB8-9718-33249FAA875D.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 4,049
how much was the motor and controller. I might have access to a non-running 2010 Zero X

I got them from Travis @ EMF. He's dropped the pricing since I purchased them, but I *think* the controller was a group buy and he may not have access to anymore. Best to contact him direct.

www.emf-power.com

Duck-Stew said:
I got them from Travis @ EMF. He's dropped the pricing since I purchased them, but I *think* the controller was a group buy and he may not have access to anymore. Best to contact him direct.

www.emf-power.com
These are still available for the near future.

Back