volt converter from 48v to 12v

musa yesh

1 µW
hi guys,am from kenya and i have an electric scooter dt the lights and horn dont work due to converter malfunction.i wanted to know if i can modify a led tv charger for that.plz advice

It might work without modification. Try just connecting the cord from the charger that normally goes to the wall to the 48v battery instead, and see if you get 12v out of the charger. It shouldn't hurt anything.

If not, you can try others if you have them laying around; some work and some don't. If you have to order anything to do it you might as well order the original part (or one like it) that's meant to be a DC-DC.

If it does give 12v out, you can then disconnect the original DC-DC and connect this one in it's place, and test the lights.

As long as it is rated for enough current to be the same or more than the original, it should work. If it is not rated as high as the original it could overheat and burn out, or might just not work at all (self-protection).

Since the 12v is probably lower than the original (was probably 13-14v) the lights will be a little dimmer.

Also if it doesn't work initially, try reversing the polarity on the input side. I've tried a few AC adapters that were sensitive to this.

Back