Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles

teddillard

100 W
16422551_10212475930672809_2116600086481242296_o.jpg

It's official- Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles is finished, and available on Lulu.com.

Thanks to all in the community for the support, help and patience... it was a little more than I bargained for, but I'm pretty proud of the result. I've kept the hardcover version for my Kickstarter backers, but I'm making the PDF and the paperback available. You can read more here: http://www.powerinflux.com

What was really interesting was how the time period of around 2004-2014 was truly a "confluence of innovation", something that you tend to miss when you're in the middle of it, like a lot of us were. Lithium batteries, high-power-capacity controllers, motor development, the online communities, the Maker movement, CAD, 3D printing... all of that, and even world events, all contributed to what you can pretty much describe as an explosion of events in the 2008-09 period which put electric motorcycles where they are now. The more I dug into it, the more of this I saw... and you guys were all a part of it.

I also discovered the influences of a few people who, in spite of the importance of their contributions, liked to stay quietly offline and in the background, looking for nothing out of it themselves more than just making their bikes go faster and farther... "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" guys. Fun stuff, and a fascinating journey.

timeline2.jpg

(timeline from 1940-2015, with notable events as described in the book)

Hope you enjoy it!

...now I gotta go fit the new packs on my bike before Spring. :shock:

You should spend more time on the forums Ted. We miss you!

Actually I should spend more time here... So much better platform for idea sharing than facebook.

Not for nothin' (as we are fond of saying in Boston) I just got this message from Lulu:

25% Off Print Books & Calendars - Extended!
Use Code: LULU25
Cannot be combined with other offers
Does not apply to ebooks or services
Ends March 21st at 11:59 PM

Only applies to the paperback... enjoy!

I just bought the PDF and am looking forward to reading it later today. I'll try to read it straight thru and whenever it's done you will get my honest opinion.

Still haven't got my hardcover yet, but it can't be far away. Come on Splinter! :mrgreen:

Turns oit it was sitting on my desk waiting for me. Just that my father in law is staying in the office so I didn't notice it :) Thanks Ted, its an amazing effort. Well done!

Awesome! Nigel Morris just posted a really detailed review over on ReNewEconomy! (I think he likes it lol)

http://reneweconomy.com.au/a-short-history-of-electric-vehicle-evolution-69175/

Just a minor note, an error was pointed out to me that doesn't really warrant re-publishing, but out of my concern to be correct, I've put an "Errata" page on the site: https://powerinflux.wordpress.com/category/eratta/

We went through about 6 rounds of proofreading, but I'm sure we still missed stuff... If you see any other errors or typos, let me know and I'll add them. If the list gets too long I'll update the published versions. :roll:

It reads better as "Brammo Owners Forum" in my opinion. I've updated the text (for the next update) for all the forum sites to reflect that format.

Just got another offer from Lulu:

25% Off Print Books & Calendars
Ends March 28th at 11:59 PM

...good for another day or so.

[strike]Kindle version in Amazon doable?[/strike]

Found the pdf @lulu, that will work. Missed it the first time.

I've been enjoying reading mine the last couple of nights.

It kind of feels like there's nothing going on these days by comparison to just a few years ago!

Big players are still on the sideline for electric motorcycles. Even companies that already got prototypes up and running (ie Harley D) are holding back. And other major players like Yamaha have been teasing us for years with concept bikes, that are really only eye candies and a great idea. Still not even presented and test ridden even by motor journalists. Could it be because electric vehicle is still plan B? Just a mock up and some sketches but not a ready to ride project?

To be honest, I hope we get even more strict government regulations on ICE vehicles. That seems to be the shortcut to force major players into the ring and away from their ICE treasure chest. Look at YZ 250. Same frame, motor and gearbox as it had more then 10 years ago. Its a shame really. Tiny updates, mostly plastic. Of course it is hard for Yamaha to let their cash cows go and to steer into the unknown and untested world of electric vehicles.

Lulu's been pretty quiet on the special prices, but I just got this notice:

Save 25% On Orders of Print Books & Photo Books
Ends April 24th at 11:59 PM

One last "Special" and I'll lay off it here...

Save 20% On Orders of Print Books & Photo Books
Use Code: LULU20
Ends May 4th at 11:59 PM

Order here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/ted-dillard/power-in-flux-the-history-of-electric-motorcycles/paperback/product-23091516.html

From here on in, I'll post any specials Lulu sends me on the Electric Chronicles Facebook page. That is here: https://www.facebook.com/electricchronicles/

And just as the first comprehensive history of electric motorcycles hits the shelves, MotoGP says they will be running an electric motorcycle class alongside the the other three premier classes by 2019. Single marque racing apparently, which means one lucky company will do very well out of this. Just as Dorna would have liked...
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/motogp-set-for-all-electric-support-class-in-2019-901355/

Back