Hoverboard & motorcycle hub motors MAXIMUM load?

Pegasus195

100 mW
Hi, I've been trying to reverse engineer and experiment with the hoverboard's hub motors since it's pretty easy for me to get. I'm planning to make a homemade onewheel using these motors. However, I am sill on a dilemma whether to use 1 or 2(paralleled) hoverboard hub motors. In case I'm gonna use a single motor, I am afraid if the motor can't withstand a standard weight, which is; 100kg, i would be a huge flaw. So does anybody know how much load/weight can a SINGLE hoverboard hub motor can withstand? Also I really want to know the maximum load of motorcycle's hub motors(for safety reasons) like this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Power-QS-Motor-14inch-2000W_60608421401.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.91PtGP
Cause the manufacturer never really told me their maximum load. Thanks

The maximum load for the hoverboard motor depends on the exact motor in question. This is assuming the batteries and controller are not the bottleneck (though on a typical hoverboard, they are likely to be).

The QS motor can move more weight than you'd ever need to move on a hoverboard. They are meant for scooters and motorcycles, plus rider, plus cargo etc. You would snap the board like a toothpick before you overtaxed the QS motor. I wouldn't put one of those on a hoverboard to be honest, it's overkill, and don't you want a low powered motor because the amount of battery you can carry is limited?

Noq said:
The maximum load for the hoverboard motor depends on the exact motor in question. This is assuming the batteries and controller are not the bottleneck (though on a typical hoverboard, they are likely to be).

The QS motor can move more weight than you'd ever need to move on a hoverboard. They are meant for scooters and motorcycles, plus rider, plus cargo etc. You would snap the board like a toothpick before you overtaxed the QS motor. I wouldn't put one of those on a hoverboard to be honest, it's overkill, and don't you want a low powered motor because the amount of battery you can carry is limited?

Assuming the "regular" 200-300 USD hoverboard...
I'd like to purchase a QS motor, or any other hub motors that are convenient for my project, however I have plenty of hoverboard hub motors, and I'd like to use them before buying another one.

Besides my current project is actually building a homemade onewheel using hoverboard's hub motors, not a motorycle( I forgot to mention it previously), and so the total weight of rider and apparatus won't exceed over 100kg, but I jut want to make sure that a hoverboard hub is strong enough...

Oh. So, you want to use hoverboard hubs on your one-wheel, and you're asking about max load on the QS as a separate project. Okay. So two projects.

For the one-wheel using hoverboard motors, you may post the details of the motor. Diameter, wire gauge, wattage, voltage winding, width, anything else.

For the QS, I can vouch for their ability to handle heavy loads. I had an 8kW 16" rim that could take myself (180lbs), my bike (200-250lbs), two saddle bags/trunk/backpack full of cargo (~100lbs), and a passenger (110lbs). Similar torque off the line as when unburdened by cargo/passenger, although with that load it used more power from the battery.

Noq said:
Oh. So, you want to use hoverboard hubs on your one-wheel, and you're asking about max load on the QS as a separate project. Okay. So two projects.

For the one-wheel using hoverboard motors, you may post the details of the motor. Diameter, wire gauge, wattage, voltage winding, width, anything else.

For the QS, I can vouch for their ability to handle heavy loads. I had an 8kW 16" rim that could take myself (180lbs), my bike (200-250lbs), two saddle bags/trunk/backpack full of cargo (~100lbs), and a passenger (110lbs). Similar torque off the line as when unburdened by cargo/passenger, although with that load it used more power from the battery.

Then I could be safe to work on my project with the QS.
However, the hoverboard hub specs are as listed:
Single shaft hub motor (16.75mm diameter)
10 inch Diameter(including tires)
7inch Rim
1.75 mm gauge for the phase cables
36volt unknown amps (unknown watt)
The motors are exactly the same with this one: http://100scooteronline.com/mobile-app-control10-inch-big-wheel-balance-hoverboard-scooter-in-black-p-111.html
Voltage winding?
I am not an expert at electronics, but I am still learning, despite I am still 18

Back