Another new guy trying to convert a motorcycle to electric.

Arcaon

1 µW
First of all HI this is my first post on here.
secondly I'm trying to convert a dirt bike into a street legal electric that looks something like a tracker/brat. The top speed I'm looking for is bit over 90km/h so I can get into town, I need a bit over 90 so I can go up the hill back home at a reasonable pace. the farthest I'm looking to go one way is 13.4km well within the next year or so ( not my real address but shows what I'm talking about ). I have two frames kicking around a 1986 honda xr100r and a Yamaha XJ550 Maxim I'm not too sure about motors but I have found a 5kw ($1382cad with controller) and a 10kw ($2193cad with controller) not sure if there is anything that much better out there, also unsure about batteries if you guys can help that would be pretty sweet.

Arcaon said:
First of all HI this is my first post on here.
secondly I'm trying to convert a dirt bike into a street legal electric that looks something like a tracker/brat. The top speed I'm looking for is bit over 90km/h so I can get into town, I need a bit over 90 so I can go up the hill back home at a reasonable pace. the farthest I'm looking to go one way is 13.4km well within the next year or so ( not my real address but shows what I'm talking about ). I have two frames kicking around a 1986 honda xr100r and a Yamaha XJ550 Maxim I'm not too sure about motors but I have found a 5kw ($1382cad with controller) and a 10kw ($2193cad with controller) not sure if there is anything that much better out there, also unsure about batteries if you guys can help that would be pretty sweet.

welcome mate

you could also look at cyclone, they have a couple high powered options http://www.cyclone-tw.com/ and the china version of golden motors https://www.goldenmotor.com/.

you can also look at motenergy given your near the states. USA made iirc, at a good price (basically the golden motor you linked is the 'cheap knockoff' version, but its not that much cheaper :p ). Very good motors, used to be used on the old zero motorbikes i think.

you could also look at some of the larger hubs from QS motors (ali express) the 273 size motor would probably be a good match, though you could get away with a smaller one, maybe.

Controller id also look at mopibus (not sure i got the spelling right, but you can find 'em discussed on ES) very good $/power and great in general from what ive read.

battery wise, how much work do you want to do? ie are you happy to build your own and save a few bob, or buy a pre made and save yourself time?

would there really be any advantages to a hub motor other than saving space? I would prefer to have a chain/belt drive I'm mainly unsure if I need to go upto 10kw or if I'm going to regret not getting enough power later.

As for batteries it would depend on how much work vs money saving. One big problem I have is that the main thing I know about is cutting and welding metal so I'd have to say it would have to be a decent saving, but if I'm also able to control the shape of the battery packs that would be nice.

Welcome,
First off, you can get some good ideas and advice here, and you can also join the Elmoto forums, http://www.elmoto.net/forum.php where you can find even more motorcycle conversions. Whatever kind of motor you choose, get the most power right away. Too much power can be tamed down with controller programming. For battery, the Nissan Leaf modules are a favorite for motorcycle conversions from what I have read. http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/ind...cid=24&name=li-ion-battery-modules&Itemid=605.

Arcaon said:
would there really be any advantages to a hub motor other than saving space? I would prefer to have a chain/belt drive I'm mainly unsure if I need to go upto 10kw or if I'm going to regret not getting enough power later.

As for batteries it would depend on how much work vs money saving. One big problem I have is that the main thing I know about is cutting and welding metal so I'd have to say it would have to be a decent saving, but if I'm also able to control the shape of the battery packs that would be nice.

you wont have to big an issue finding a 10kw+ hub... the main issue is if you want to deal with the unsprung weight. if your only riding onroad/commuter, then that wont be an issue. if your doing off road... it may well be, though can be surmounted. it does however free up some space for batteries, and should be more efficient at crusing speeds too, so better range.

one of the most powerful bike builders on here uses hubs, i think his is about 30kw iirc, and it handles that power with ease (look up John in CA) the other is live for physics (luke) who is currently building a ~ 50kw monster, again using a hub. So yea... power aint the issue between hubs and mids.

that said, i say this as someone who's building a mid drive frame myself (as a bike). this is mainly because i dont want the unsprung weight. if i could get a hub that would provide the power/torque i want <5kg I'd never look back.

sn0wchyld said:
you wont have to big an issue finding a 10kw+ hub... the main issue is if you want to deal with the unsprung weight. if your only riding onroad/commuter, then that wont be an issue. if your doing off road... it may well be, though can be surmounted. it does however free up some space for batteries, and should be more efficient at crusing speeds too, so better range.

one of the most powerful bike builders on here uses hubs, i think his is about 30kw iirc, and it handles that power with ease (look up John in CA) the other is live for physics (luke) who is currently building a ~ 50kw monster, again using a hub. So yea... power aint the issue between hubs and mids.

that said, i say this as someone who's building a mid drive frame myself (as a bike). this is mainly because i don't want the unsprung weight. if i could get a hub that would provide the power/torque i want <5kg I'd never look back.
not sure what it is but hub motors just seem unappealing for whatever reason . I guess my main problem is trying to figure out the minimum to get up 90km on safe frame, would I love a 20kw motor on a bike sure but I'd love to be able to get away with just a 5 or 10kw motor(money is part of the problem). hmmm you wouldn't happen to know of some way to math it out and get an idea of how powerful of a motor I'd need to get up a certain speed with how much weight?

Back