Not an Onion headline

Warren

100 kW
Harley is going to come out with an electric motocycle within five years. Everything is always five years away. But this headline made me spill my coffee.

Harley recalls bikes; oil line can detach, cause crash

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/06/02/harley-davidson-recall/102418806/

I don't understand why this is funny or even notable there are all kinds of recalls on motorcycles including on stuff that can kill you or cause a crash like this.

What is more American than apple pie? Harley Davidson. When I was a kid growing up there, we used to have field trips to the plant, "See kids. When you grow up you can get a job here." By the time I was a teenager, the Japanese had eaten Harley's lunch, and we called them Harley Fergusons...a play on the farm equipment manufacturer Massey Ferguson. To their marketing department's credit, they managed to salvage the company by selling the Hollywood fantasy of Harley=cowboy/bad boy=freedom. Now they are stuck with that marketing image. They can't sell electric motorcycles to their coal rolling customers. It is a metaphor for today's America. Stick with fossil fuels, get oil spills, and crash. I didn't think I'd need to explain it.

Back