Bernel's new electric motorcycle build

Bernel

100 W
Hi everyone, I will shortly be embarking on a new project to build a road legal electric motorcycle from the ground up. For those who don't know I have already converted a YZF600R and from the lessons learned from my mistakes on that conversion I hope to create an impressive road bike.

I have already ordered a Gen4 Size 6 matched with a ME1507 and I will be sourcing a Nissan Leaf pack as funds allow. I will be starting with a blank canvas but I do have some prerequisites, I want the bike to have a trellis frame, chain drive and full fairing.
So please chip in with any suggestions you may have.

I look forward to all comments and suggestions.

Bernel

Subscribed! :D

Looks good mate! I would advise that you make the seat subframe separate to the main frame. It's one of the first things to bend when you have a crash, even a minor one, so being able to replace it is a good idea.

Also, put the motor a bit lower - you'll want some of that antisquat action for mod-corner stability.

Chris

Here is frame rev002 following Chris Jones' comments. I must add I am not a motorcycle frame builder and I am taking my cues from existing bikes of all types. This bike is not going to be for racing it will be a commuter/weekend warrior bike.frame rev002.jpg

I was thinking keeping the swingarm as it was before, but simply lowering the motor about 20 mm relative to the pivot point. You don't want a flat swing arm - only at full compression.

Agree with Chris, higher motor mount and swing arm pivot will definitely work better.

Another vote also for rear subframe that can be unbolted. Having it part of the main frame will cause you problems in the long run.

Here is the third iteration, I think I am getting closer now.

I am thinking of using the front and rear sections of a Sprint ST 1050 with the trellis frame sandwiched in the middle. There are plenty of these parts on ebay. What do you think?

Bernel

My two cents:

Try to find good used motorcycle parts from as similar a bike as possible to what you're trying to finish up with. Think about final bike weight, bike type (sport, standard, cruiser, etc), rough power output, etc. Then go further and try to find something with a good aftermarket following (as an example: buy used CBR parts ilo: Hyosung 650R parts). Try to measure (as much as possible) what you're after so you really *know* as much as you can about these prior to purchasing. Always try to buy entire assemblies from the same bike (differences arise even between model years).

After all that, go for it.

I'm going to be watching this closely as I just purchased the same exact motor and controller for my build. I'm retrofitting them into a 2011 Zero XU.

If you wanted to covert an ice bike with a trellis frame there are a bunch of ktm rc390 and duke 390s out there for cheap.

Rc390 trellis frame check, full fairing check, rad looking cheap bike check.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 3,492
Hello!
I am new to this forum.
I need some help in figuring out the encoder pins. I am working with the ME1507 and Gen4 size4. I got the 11 blinks in the controller while operating for the first time which concludes that encoder pins are mismatched. I don't have the exact pin definition of ME1507 motor's encoder.

I hope Bernel is doing well in his project.
Have a nice day!

Unless you already have the cells, I'd suggest going with a different battery. Leaf cells aren't up to the task...too saggy for a proper motorcycle build, which means a much shorter life due to higher current draw than they're made to deliver. Better ecar batteries will also fit in a better looking and riding orientation.

John in CR said:
Unless you already have the cells, I'd suggest going with a different battery. Leaf cells aren't up to the task...too saggy for a proper motorcycle build, which means a much shorter life due to higher current draw than they're made to deliver. Better ecar batteries will also fit in a better looking and riding orientation.

There is also an issue with early Leaf cells degrading rapidly. I could tell you exactly what years to avoid and which to look for in the US, but I'm not sure about European Leafs. I do know that the best pack Nissan ever made, known as the "Lizard Pack" was produced in 2015 and 2016 (24kwh version) so if you can find a 2015 pack that's your best bet, should you stick with Leaf cells.

Definitely interested in seeing this build get done.

I'm considering using a ME1507 with a Sevcon gen4 size6 controller in a 2002 zx6r conversion with lithium batteries

Just a quick update, the advent of the Lightning Strike has fulfilled a gap in the market that I was trying to achieve with this build. As such I will using the Sevcon Gen4Size6 and ME1507 to upgrade my electric Thundercat. I have already replaced the the Gen4 Size4 with the Size6. I will definitely have to replace the swing arm on the Thundercat (YZF600R) to accommodate the ME1507.

I will close this thread and continue the details on the Electric Thundercat EV.

Oh I forgot to mention I will probably be putting a deposit down on a Lightning Strike.

Wish me luck and thanks for following this thread.

Bernel

I think the LS might kill a few projects :D

Looks like a fun bike for a relatively low price, electric motorbike prices and all that... might need to trailer it to a ride though. :roll:

G'luck with the Thundercat.

Back