Distance on Battery's

dan_wax1

1 µW
Hi guys, first time post, can't wait to get exploring the forums and learning as much as possible.

I'm relatively new at building scooters but have been doing quite a bit of research on batterys, lipos to be exact. Now I'm ok with the wiring and I understand that they need to be handled with care when charging! But the one thing I can't work out is the amp hours.

I was thinking of getting 3x3s 5000mah in series to give me 36v - 5000mah but my question is what sort of range would I get out of these batterys? Is there a calculation? I understand this is a difficult question to answer due to so many variables, but if I could get a ball park figure before commuting to buying batterys that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

No way to give a useful answer without knowing a whole lot more. See this post for some of what we'd have to know:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

As an example, my CrazyBike2 takes about 20-30Wh/mile for the exact same commute and speed under the same conditions that my SB Cruiser trike takes 50-60Wh/mile, even though the bike has more powerful controllers, faster acceleration, etc.

Typical ebikes would do the same commute and speed and conditions using only half of what CrazyBike2 takes.

Made-for-efficiency ebikes could probably do it with a quarter or less of that.

But...the battery the latter bikes can use would probably be damaged or killed by my trike. The battery my trike uses is so large and heavy it would weigh down the efficient bikes so much they wouldn't be that efficient anymore, and it'd take so much space you'd have to add cargo compartments to them just to hold it.

So...don't buy any batteries until you have all the rest of everything you need, and know exactly how much battery you need, as well as how much power you'll need to pull from it, because if you pull more power than the battery can supply you can damage it, or else simply have it sag in voltage so low that the vehicle stops operating when you apply throttle, even though the battery is full.

Back