Design Rules to comply with Resigtration requirements in Victoria Australia

SPanna23

1 µW
Hi All, I am new to this forum and have tried searching but cannot find any info.
I have a 1982 Suzuki GS550 rolling frame that I want to fit with electrics.
Looking like I can fit a ME1114 motor & 72V 120Ah LiFePo pack without going over the original GVM of the motorcycle.
Can't find any guidelines other than for light vehicles which states not for motorcycles.
It seems I will require a VASS engineering inspection to get roadworthy.
I am interested in finding someone else who has done motorcycle conversion in Victoria & if they can recommend a VASS engineer
Greatly appreciate anyone help.
Cheers,
Sam

Where I live, the path of least resistance is to register the thing as a Suzuki GS550 and be done with it. If there's a VIN, that's all they want to know about.

About to go through the same process in QLD myself... just hunting a donor bike/chassy still.

I find it extremely interesting how blasé transport departments are with some bike modifications.
Put a 1000cc engine in a 600cc bike, what does Qld DoT require? Engine number update on a form, that's it.
I can only assume Vic is similar in that regard (not that it helps in this instance).

It will be interesting to see how putting an electric power-train on an ICE bike will differ.

Please do share anything you uncover, it'd be great for future reference for others.

Chalo said:
Where I live, the path of least resistance is to register the thing as a Suzuki GS550 and be done with it. If there's a VIN, that's all they want to know about.

Must make insurance, namely lodging a claim ... interesting?

In Vic. ICE that fits in frame without mods you will get away with getting them to view new engine number if it already registered. However if not registered you would need to ensure it is no more than 20% greater capacity than original engine else VASS engineering certificate required.

Back