Direct Drive with no regen / Freewheeling

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
Remi812   10 mW

10 mW

Direct Drive with no regen / Freewheeling

Post by Remi812 » Apr 13 2018 10:32pm

I have in mind building my own electric ATV. I was thinking swapping the engine for a 18kW Cyclone mid drive Motor that comes with a controller that has no regen capability.
To keep things simple and to get reverse I was thinking going direct drive meaning no freewheel on the motor as you would have for an eBike.
My question is what happens to the motor when you are doing let’s say 50mph and you back off the throttle ? I understand that you will get drag from the motor but is it going to overheat or damage the motor if done repeatedly ?

e-beach   100 MW

100 MW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Re: Direct Drive with no regen / Freewheeling

Post by e-beach » Apr 13 2018 10:41pm

Like a fast golf cart she just slows down. But remember motors are a physical thing and can be warn out by hard usage. They usually can take a good beating, but can snap an axle or overheat or burn a Hall sensor. Run her without too much abuse and she will last a long time.

:D
Favorite Quote: "This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." --- Chris Erskine

Current build: Liahona w/ cheap front suspension and suspension seat post. Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front hub motor. 15ah Headway triangle mounted pack. Tronsung 30 amp,

Previous Build:1992 Trek Antelope 800 - Bone Crusher (no suspension) - Yescomusa 800 watt 36 volt front wheel kit. Don't do it! Get suspension!!!