Monster Moto 1000w Build / Discussion

Monster-Moto

1 µW
I picked this Monster Moto Mini Bike for $199 + tax at Home Depot a few months ago. I have ridden it a few times since purchase, but would really like to make it a little more dangerous. :twisted: I have some questions and would like to see how you all would go about doing the things I want. I'm quite novice when it comes to the terms and specifics of electric bike builds, so I may need some help explaining what i want.

Specs right now:
- 36v 14Ah lead acid batteries
- '1000 watt' motor, unknown controller
- top speed 17-18 mph
- range '45 minutes' (have not actually tested this)

Performance goal:
- range 15 miles at cruise, 10 miles 'turbo'
- top speed 27-30 mph

Budget:
- TBD

https://store.monstermoto.com/products/electric-mm-e1000?variant=33730057729

I intend to do some searching but I wanted to introduce myself and pose a few questions to the forum before I get started on this project.

Attachments

• MM-E1000_BB_left_grande.png
    MM-E1000_BB_left_grande.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,911
Brush (I assume) or brushless? Which would you want? Start with some extra voltage. You need to look at what other motor fits.

Damn, wish I'd known of something like that for $200.

Dauntless said:
Brush (I assume) or brushless? Which would you want? Start with some extra voltage. You need to look at what other motor fits.

Damn, wish I'd known of something like that for $200.

The current motor is brushed. I was pretty excited when I saw it for $200. They had two of them, but I couldn't justify two at the time. In hindsight I should have bought both and used the batteries of both bikes on one bike for ~72 volts...

So, the motor is "1000 watt". But I have a feeling that it's not getting all that juice. There's a 30 amp fuse in line to it so the theoretical max it could be getting is (36-40v * 30amp) = 1080-1200 watts, but we all know that that's not happening. I plan to buy an RC watt meter and use it to measure the current draw to get a baseline. Are some better than others? I found these two with minimal searching.

Newegg and Hobbyking

Once I establish that the motor is running out of RPMs not power, I plan on buying this adapter so I can mount a smaller sprocket.

If that gets me to 23 mph or so without overloading the battery I think I will change to street tires on this bike and call it a day. If not, I will look into adding another battery. Bumping the controller to 48v and seeing if I can feed the motor a real 1000 watts.

I would ditch everything and just keep the chassis.

In which case, you would need:
-a brushless hub motor, this way you'll have lots of space for the battery and it is very easy to fit
-a brushless controller, 1000-3000W should be plenty
-a few new batteries to go up in voltage and/or capacity.

The only issue I see with that is that I don't think you have a front brake, and no suspension either, so it might be suicidal to go fast.

Back