CSC City Slicker

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
Post Reply
User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 794
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

CSC City Slicker

Post by skyungjae » Jun 08 2018 12:53pm

This bike might be a game changer in the US for EV bikes. I know there has been an electric grom clone that people have been tinkering with for a while, but this one comes with lithium-ion out of the box and is legitimately street legal. It's going to be $1995 plus fees. Shipping will be free in the Continental US like all of their ICE motorcycles.
WhiteCS_01.jpg
WhiteCS_01.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 810 times
L×W×H (inches) 71" x 30" x 41"
WHEEL BASE (inches) 49.2"
TOP SPEED 46.6 mph
RANGE 37 miles @ 37mph, 62 miles @ 20mph
BATTERY Li, 72V30AH
VOLTAGE 180V~250V
CHARGE TIME 6-8 HOURS
CONTROLLER 72 VECTOR MOTOR
WEIGHT 216 LB
MINI TURNING 13.1 FT
LOADING 330 LB
GROUND CLEARANCE 7.1 IN
I've been following their Facebook page and blog, and they are currently testing 3 of them in the US.

More info can be found here:
https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=328
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=29451
https://www.facebook.com/cscmotorcycles/

I've been curious about these since I've seen them pop up on their website. I recently plated my most recent clonebix, but this bike seems like it has a lot more to offer for commuting for its price.

I'll try to get my hands on one when they become available to the public. It helps that their store is only about 20 miles from me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2005 Jamis Dakar build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p972546
2005 Kona Stink-E build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 64#p690597

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Jun 13 2018 7:09am

Looks pretty great! Seen anything about kw output?

How do they do they make it for that price? I've been looking at building and ebike and just the kit is over $1500. No bike, no labor.

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Jun 13 2018 7:54am

looks like it may be using the QS mid motor and swingarm ..

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93627
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Jun 13 2018 8:05am

Seems like not enough power. Also, any idea why it's 216 pounds? It seems like less power than the Sur Ron and twice the weight. Same battery capacity

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Jun 13 2018 11:23am

Got more info from CSC Motorcycles:
Yes it does weigh 216lbs, the battery itself weighs 35lbs, yes it will come with a C.O.O. and VIN and it is legal in all 50 states. The introductory price will be $1995, 55 doc fees, and $345 for Assembly/Inspection/Ocean Transport. The crating and shipping will be no charge in the lower 48 states. We will be taking $500 deposits in about 2 weeks.
Still can't figure out how it weighs so much. The battery should be between 18 -24 lbs, they are saying 35 lbs. Maybe some cheap Li-Ion cells, not 3500 mAh?

The Sur Ron seems similar, but weighs 110 lbs? Just don't know where the extra 100 lbs comes from...

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Jun 13 2018 11:26am

Can see more detail here, like an on-board charger...
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/c ... er-at-1995

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Jun 14 2018 3:10pm

More info:
rate power 1500w
peak power 3200w
range:90km @ 30 km/h

Power seems kind of low for a 216 lb bike. How does it get up to 46 MPH?

User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 794
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by skyungjae » Jun 19 2018 8:29am

n2mb wrote:
Jun 14 2018 3:10pm
More info:
rate power 1500w
peak power 3200w
range:90km @ 30 km/h

Power seems kind of low for a 216 lb bike. How does it get up to 46 MPH?
Hopes and dreams? :lol:

It looks like they postponed their release until Fall of this year. I wonder if they'll abandon it altogether if it doesn't perform to expectations.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2005 Jamis Dakar build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p972546
2005 Kona Stink-E build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 64#p690597

Chillax   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 07 2017 11:43pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by Chillax » Mar 17 2019 8:01pm

Has anyone had success modding this? I'm considering tapping into the controller and potentially upgrading the QS motor. Is it right that this is using the VOTOL controller from this thread?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=95969
Last edited by Chillax on Mar 18 2019 12:25am, edited 1 time in total.

sendler2112   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1040
Joined: Dec 07 2012 6:14am
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by sendler2112 » Mar 17 2019 8:29pm

If It could do a double battery, aero mods, and a gearing change to do 50 miles at 50 mph I would buy one.

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Mar 17 2019 8:45pm

Did anyone get one?

Chillax   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 07 2017 11:43pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by Chillax » Mar 18 2019 12:00am

n2mb wrote:
Mar 17 2019 8:45pm
Did anyone get one?
I did - it's pretty great, but I'm used to my old electric bike where I could change the controller settings. This thing has a Chinese 'aneco' app that requires a mainland phone number to use some of the hardware. Apparently it has a GPS locater, but I can't use it :(

Chillax   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 07 2017 11:43pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by Chillax » Mar 18 2019 12:24am

sendler2112 wrote:
Mar 17 2019 8:29pm
If It could do a double battery, aero mods, and a gearing change to do 50 miles at 50 mph I would buy one.
I'll bet there's some pretty savvy folks on this forum that could get it to do this easily. To get to 50 miles, you'd probably have to use up the storage space on top though.

sendler2112   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1040
Joined: Dec 07 2012 6:14am
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by sendler2112 » Mar 18 2019 5:07am

Did they ever post a price for a spare battery?

User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 794
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by skyungjae » Mar 18 2019 8:04am

n2mb wrote:
Mar 17 2019 8:45pm
Did anyone get one?
I couldn't wait and ended up getting a Sur Ron from Luna.

I hope CSC sells enough to keep that bike up on their roster. I think it'll benefit the EV community as a whole having something entry level at that price point.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2005 Jamis Dakar build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p972546
2005 Kona Stink-E build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 64#p690597

sendler2112   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1040
Joined: Dec 07 2012 6:14am
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by sendler2112 » Mar 18 2019 8:23am

The nice thing about the City Slicker is it has a street legal VIN. But they didn't put quite enough into it to make it better than an outlaw ebike. I need 55 mph to compete with a gas scooter like the Honda PCX.

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10855
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by spinningmagnets » Mar 18 2019 8:38am

I believe Micah Toll did a youtube review. It's too small if you are above six feet. I seem to remember he said it wasn't bad for around town.

I also seemed to remember there was a lead acid version, and a lithium version. Since this appears to have been built to a low price point, I am certain there are plenty of opportunities for upgrades.

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Mar 18 2019 9:32am

skyungjae wrote:
Mar 18 2019 8:04am
n2mb wrote:
Mar 17 2019 8:45pm
Did anyone get one?
I couldn't wait and ended up getting a Sur Ron from Luna.

I hope CSC sells enough to keep that bike up on their roster. I think it'll benefit the EV community as a whole having something entry level at that price point.
I ended up getting a Sur Ron as well. I was concerned about having 3kW motor power on a 215 lb bike, vs 5kW on the Sur Ron X which weighs 110 lbs. I thought the City Slicker might be too slow.

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by n2mb » Mar 18 2019 9:39am

sendler2112 wrote:
Mar 18 2019 8:23am
The nice thing about the City Slicker is it has a street legal VIN. But they didn't put quite enough into it to make it better than an outlaw ebike. I need 55 mph to compete with a gas scooter like the Honda PCX.
The street legal VIN is nice. And storage! Also, unclear if it has an on-board charger of if is just uses the IEC AC connector to connect to an off-board charger. That would be a terrible idea, since someone is going to screw it up and connect AC power direct to the battery and blow something up....

Anyway, 55 mph on an electric bike is not possible at this price point and still having good range. To go 55 mph, you need a 7kW motor and you consume ~125 wH / mile. If you could get that power out of the battery and motor, with a 1.8 kWHr battery, you'd get 15 mile range.

User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 794
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by skyungjae » Mar 18 2019 9:48am

n2mb wrote:
Mar 18 2019 9:39am
sendler2112 wrote:
Mar 18 2019 8:23am
The nice thing about the City Slicker is it has a street legal VIN. But they didn't put quite enough into it to make it better than an outlaw ebike. I need 55 mph to compete with a gas scooter like the Honda PCX.
The street legal VIN is nice. And storage! Also, unclear if it has an on-board charger of if is just uses the IEC AC connector to connect to an off-board charger. That would be a terrible idea, since someone is going to screw it up and connect AC power direct to the battery and blow something up....

Anyway, 55 mph on an electric bike is not possible at this price point and still having good range. To go 55 mph, you need a 7kW motor and you consume ~125 wH / mile. If you could get that power out of the battery and motor, with a 1.8 kWHr battery, you'd get 15 mile range.
Looks like a generic brick charger. I wonder how big that battery actually is. Looks like a lot of space for some lipos. :twisted:
charger-022.jpg
charger-022.jpg (191.2 KiB) Viewed 59 times
charger-026.jpg
charger-026.jpg (187.61 KiB) Viewed 59 times
csc-city-slicker-locking-storage.jpg
csc-city-slicker-locking-storage.jpg (144.85 KiB) Viewed 59 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2005 Jamis Dakar build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p972546
2005 Kona Stink-E build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 64#p690597

sendler2112   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1040
Joined: Dec 07 2012 6:14am
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by sendler2112 » Mar 18 2019 10:34am

n2mb wrote:
Mar 18 2019 9:39am
Anyway, 55 mph on an electric bike is not possible at this price point and still having good range. To go 55 mph, you need a 7kW motor and you consume ~125 wH / mile. If you could get that power out of the battery and motor, with a 1.8 kWHr battery, you'd get 15 mile range.
Depending on the aerodynamics.
.
.
Image
.
.

User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 794
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: CSC City Slicker

Post by skyungjae » Mar 18 2019 10:46am

sendler2112 wrote:
Mar 18 2019 10:34am
n2mb wrote:
Mar 18 2019 9:39am
Anyway, 55 mph on an electric bike is not possible at this price point and still having good range. To go 55 mph, you need a 7kW motor and you consume ~125 wH / mile. If you could get that power out of the battery and motor, with a 1.8 kWHr battery, you'd get 15 mile range.
Depending on the aerodynamics.
.
.
Image
.
.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that faux fur on his seat?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2005 Jamis Dakar build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p972546
2005 Kona Stink-E build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 64#p690597

Post Reply