Kelly KEB Reverse speed

Rich

1 µW
Hi...just joined up and hope someone can solve my issue for me...

I have built an E-Quad by fitting a 48 Volt 3kw BLDC motor, Kelly KEB48600 controller and 4 x 12v lead acid batteries to an old Suzuki quad bike...

I built it because I live a small sloping property and pushing a wheelbarrow up hill is no fun. I works really well, heaps of power, stupidly fast(I'm going to change the gearing to slow it down)...

Just this one issue, it's slow and gutless in reverse...

I've tried the setting in the controller and nothing I do makes a difference to the reverse speed/power...

So I start thinking it a phase issue. It sometimes won't take off in reverse without first giving it a little shake to move the rotor.

So before I start swapping wires and "letting the magic smoke out" I'm after a bit of advise from people...

Can I swap two phases, and their corresponding hall wires to test it going backwards at full speed?

Generally, yes, to the last question--but....

Does your motor have it's halls physically "advanced"? (rotated as a group toward the direcion of forward rotation) If so, it may not work well in the other direction from "forward". Some that are like this may have them on a board with screws in slots so it can be moved back and forth (advanced and retarded) to fit the application.

It could also just be the controller simply doesn't obey all of it's settings (seems to be a common enough issue, where documentation or programs show options that don't actually exist in the device, or at least not in all versions).

Thank you...

I did a quick bit of research and yes having the hall sensors timed wrong would give the exact problem I have...

Opened up the back of the motor and sure enough it has an adjustable plate for the hall sensors and it was fully one way...

A check of the screws and they aren't even the right size for the threads so can't be tightened...

Adjust and tighten and away we go...

Problem solved...

Back