EVT 4000 E electrical problem

yellowscooter

100 µW
Hoping someone here may be able to help. I have an EVT 4000 E scooter, 2003, brushed motor. Scooter has been solar charged since 2005 with 120 watts of on board solar panels. It was siting outside for a couple of years, needing a new set of batteries. Installed those a couple of days ago. Have an intermittent electrical problem. Scooter will turn on properly, all lights correct, will run when throttle twisted until braking. Then stops and will not run unless sitting overnight.

I may have kind of figured out problem. Pondering solution, hoping someone may know.

I think the problem is related to the brake levers when they disengage the throttle electronically when applied. If I ride and do NOT use the brakes there is no problem running (went a couple of miles starting and stopping without using brakes and no problem. If I apply the breaks, the motor will not go forward using the throttle. Interestingly, the rear/brake light disables when this happens. Everything else stays on, except the rear/brake light. I have to wait over night for it to run again, or....take the rear/brake bulb out of the socket, turn on and then off the bike, then on again and the motor will run.

I am going to take out the brake levers and clean them to see if an internal fault from sitting outside for many Michigan winters may have moisture or corrosion inside the switches.

Is anyone aware if I can disable the brake lever switches without the rear light going out? Since the actual brakes are hydraulic, they won't change if the switch is disabled.

G'day Yellowscooter.
I think your US is like our Australian model, with a kill switch instead of a headlight switch so the lights are always on. You say removing the tail light bulb & replacing it fixes the problem for a while? Could be you've got a bad earth/return from corrosion in the bulb holder or bulb itself. Some of the voltage from the tail light might be shunting back through the brake light to the controller. Not full voltage, but enough to hold the brake lead high once full 12v from the brake switches pull it high. Try cleaning the inside of the bulb holder & the bulb.

Cheers, AussieRider

Thanks Aussie Rider,

Socket looks clean on from the bulb side. Bulb tests good, however getting a new bulb today in case internal short. Also going to follow wiring from brakes to light to see if any grounded shorts. Snakes live in the scooter during the summer which is good as it keeps the mice from building nests around wiring.

Checking the back side of the socket in a few minutes.

Tip makes sense.

Thanks.

Took bulb out to take to town for a replacement....to get correct bulb....tested scooter and no problem using brakes with NO bulb in socket and motor would restart with each twist of the throttle. Bulb tests ok, but getting new in case internally shorted. Will post update.

Electronics and vehicles can be strange.....purchased a new bulb and all is well. Brake light and rear light both work. After using brakes, motor returns to drive when throttle twisted. Must be a strange circuit. It would be nice to get a schematic of the controller and the rest of the electrical system. Thank you very much for your suggestion Aussie.

G'day yellow, you're welcome. Glad I could help.
You mentioned schematics. If you ever come across schematics, wiring diagram or controller info, please let me know. I've got a shed full of new EVT spares but no info apart from the "service" manual that only shows how to take the scooter apart. BTW, I've got a 168 I've put it's first 300km on since I got it on the road in April. There's 2 4000e's with 0km in the shed, waiting only swingarms to get them on the road.

AussieRider

They are nice bikes. Seems strange that info is not available, but maybe this series of transportation was just an experiment that failed when gasoline prices dropped. I posted a photo of scooter charging in the pic section below this link. Enjoy your down under time. Not related, Michigan has 2 peninsulas...Upper and lower. Those north of the Mackinaw Bridge, on the upper peninsula are called Yoopers. Those of us south of the bridge are called Trolls (we live under the bridge). We are also told we live down under. Enjoy your day.

Back