Hub motor wheel seizing after a few Km

Njay

10 kW
Hello All,

A friend of mine has a chinese electric scooter (9KW hub motor) whose rear wheel started to seize after a few Km, it looks like it seizes due to warm up. Letting it cool a little it will spin freely again. I made a few searches but couldn't find anything similar, maybe I'm not using the right words. Any input on this, what may be the cause? The wheel starts seizing progressively until it gets completely blocked. After some time (cooling... we supose) it unblocks again.

Many thanks!

Sounds like it could be a short in the phase wiring. Might not short out until something heats up and expands. Inspect the wiring coming out of the axle first, most likely place to get a nick in the insulation.

Thanks dust, but it is mechanical, that is, when it blocks, it blocks, it's not like a shorted motor resisting spinning, it just blocks and you're not able to spin it at all.

replace the bearings.

also when the motor seizes check the resistance of the phase wires. you might have a dead short. then the motor will not move unless you put a prybar on it. with smaller motors you can overcome this by hand, but with a 9kW motor you have way too much magnetic holding power to move it by hand.

There's not really many possibilities. I would expect a seizing bearing to make a hell of a noise in the process, and get hot as all hell. You should be able to track that down pretty easy.

Phase short on a motor that size is gonna stop it, as flippy said. You ain't moving that by hand until it lets go.

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I'm going to pass on the information, let's see what will be found.

Back