China’s largest electric scooter maker

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
cropped-electrek-logo1.png

China’s largest electric scooter maker Niu files for $150 million IPO in the US:
https://electrek.co/2018/09/25/chinas-electric-scooter-files-ipo/

Starts:
While electric scooters (Vespa-style, not Razor-style) are not very widespread yet in the US, they are quickly becoming the most common form of transportation in Chinese cities. This is largely due to environmentally sustainable government policies which make gas-powered motorcycles and scooters either illegal or impractically expensive in Chinese cities.

Niu, the self proclaimed “largest lithium-ion battery-powered e-scooter company in China” has now taken one more step towards growing their electric scooter empire by filing for an IPO in the US.

The relatively new Chinese company, founded in 2014, is hoping to raise $150M through an initial public offering in the US.

Fittingly, the filing is being made under the symbol Niu.

8)

They are a fast growing company because they have chosen to sell a better (higher quality, more functionality and cooler looking) scooter than their competitors. Their prices are a little bit higher but people here are now beginning to pay a little more for higher quality.

pengyou said:
They are a fast growing company because they have chosen to sell a better (higher quality, more functionality and cooler looking) scooter than their competitors. Their prices are a little bit higher but people here are now beginning to pay a little more for higher quality.

Good Stuff Pengyou! Tks for the "3rd party feedback". Yup. When buying "stuff" I look for quality of design and construction as equal to reliability and long life... and expect selling price to be... "higher". Beware of "cheap". :wink:

^^ Hehe... Asked an electic scooter manufacturer in Yongkang once, "Why so cheap?" His response... "Those are made to sell to north americans and not for domestic markets." :wink: But in this new world, "cheap" is everywhere... Mass consumption and waste the sign of "wealth". [Grumble Grumble] (Hehe...)

pengyou said:

if you want the highest quality people would only buy govecs. they are not just high quality but overbuilt to a fault, they usually use sevcon size 4 controllers capped at just 10% of their rated capacity. that's a 1200 USD controller made for cars and heavy industry used in a 30mph scooter....

flippy said:
pengyou said:

if you want the highest quality people would only buy govecs. they are not just high quality but overbuilt to a fault, they usually use sevcon size 4 controllers capped at just 10% of their rated capacity. that's a 1200 USD controller made for cars and heavy industry used in a 30mph scooter....

:shock: ... 8)

LockH said:

this:

go_s24_right_white.jpg

has this inside:

03pHMukl.jpg

:roll:

rims are from a motorbike, the 12v DC-DC converter is from mean well, the motor is designed for heavy industry machinery and so on. the only thing that sucks is the belt drive. (and the price)

i make a living now from rebuilding and reprogramming these with bigger batteries and more power. lots of these are used for pizza delivery in my country so after 2~3 years the the pizza company tosses them away when the battery dies or the warranty expires.

the best ones are supplied with a parker SME 1422815 industrial motor but they are still limited to 155nm and 6kW peak from the factory programming...

Hehe.... "flippy"... I'm a "Pedal Guy" when it comes to electric bicycles? Pedaling for WARMTH and for EXERCISE, but also in "EV Terms" to shave off peak powers at starts and against gravity ("up" hills), etc... to extend ranges per charge but also so the cells ("battery") last longer before final recycling and replacement. AND, in "physics terms" the energy required to accelerate and move and contained in ("kinetic" energy) is more, the greater the mass/weight of any object? So. In MY view, the "highest quality" would include less weight and better design... and construction. So the govecs looks hard to pedal... and "heavy"? And are those lead-acid batteries? [Shudder]

to each their own, i dont like physical effort, done plenty of that during my service to last me a lifetime.

and if i want warmth i turn on my heated gloves. :mrgreen:

you can get a govecs with 96v lead or 72v lithium. 40Ah 72v being the biggest from factory. i can upgrade them up to 80Ah if i really put some effort into it.
i got one myself, its running at 28S15P (4.3kWh) limited to 8kW peak in order to prevent the belt from stripping or exploding.
fun fact: you can legally buy them in a 50mph light motorbike version. :roll:

still not as fast as my 90V 200A monster with a 18kW peak 205 hub but it gets the job done, my wife already confiscated it as a daily driver to work. :mrgreen:

prehaps not as cool looking as a old motorbike but much more practical. :roll:

and lifespan is something you control. i just finished testing cells from my old pack and it only lost 150~200mAh from 2.9Ah after 4 years. but that was with a normal 4.05v charge and about 1200 cycles.
yeah, a govecs is pretty heavy, but the battery and motor is sized to match and the frame is motorcycle grade. so expecting some light economical sprinter is looking at the wrong thing. it is built like a brick shithouse with a heavy frame and thick ABS panels just like a proper motorbike/car.

I'll defend the right for anyone to waste their own money. :mrgreen:

... and the human body is designed for movement. Move it... or lose it. :wink:

Back