E moped prototype

sjofels

10 mW
This took a while.
Custom frame, made by me :) , chromo front, mildsteel rear.
Crystalyte h 4080, phaserunner, 10p 13s 48v battery panasonic 33,5ah
Now to get it road legal, possibly.
TY0BmIV.jpg

JdOsCWf.jpg

eGM7xym.jpg

8LwQ4du.jpg

Looks cool. Has a real retro look with the brown tires. Personally, I like the raw metal look of the frame and battery box but it should have some kind of paint to keep it from rusting. Could use clear :wink:

The downtube is going to have a lot of bending stress on it, so better be some thick stuff or it may fatigue and crack later. Much stronger if the tube was straight and triangulated.

The front tire looks like it will come really close to touching the frame if the fork is fully compressed. OK as long as it can't touch.

If it had pedals, it would be legal most places as an ebike. Laws vary widely from place to place. In California, it would be legal as a "Motor Driven Cycle" without pedals.

fechter said:
Looks cool. Has a real retro look with the brown tires. Personally, I like the raw metal look of the frame and battery box but it should have some kind of paint to keep it from rusting. Could use clear :wink:

The downtube is going to have a lot of bending stress on it, so better be some thick stuff or it may fatigue and crack later. Much stronger if the tube was straight and triangulated.

The front tire looks like it will come really close to touching the frame if the fork is fully compressed. OK as long as it can't touch.

If it had pedals, it would be legal most places as an ebike. Laws vary widely from place to place. In California, it would be legal as a "Motor Driven Cycle" without pedals.

Thanks, for the reply!
The frame has to be clear of paint, for the authorities to inspect it here in the Netherlands, in order to get it under the designation of "home built"
the 38mm seat tube bending towards the top tube and head tube are made of chromoly 2,5mm tube wall, all attachment points on this part are 3mm domex.
Under the battery box is a sub frame from 20mm x 20mm x2 square tube. The force of the spring is directed towards this point.

Front tire is +9cm from the battery box so no more than 80mm of travel for me :)

yscoUyf.jpg

video is now here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96980
I will continue posting pics and videos there since it is a little more appropriate for the pictures and vids section.

OK, good explanation. I have seen plenty of moped frames that use a single heavy tube. A good test would be to use a string or wire to measure from the swing arm pivot to the head tube and put your full weight on it and see how much deflection there is. The tube sounds heavy enough to stay in the elastic range.

If you keep the speed reasonable, you should get really good range out of that battery. The metal box is also good for fire safety.

Is the PhaseRunner going to get a cover? Seems like it would get some road spray from the tire.

fechter said:
OK, good explanation. I have seen plenty of moped frames that use a single heavy tube. A good test would be to use a string or wire to measure from the swing arm pivot to the head tube and put your full weight on it and see how much deflection there is. The tube sounds heavy enough to stay in the elastic range.

If you keep the speed reasonable, you should get really good range out of that battery. The metal box is also good for fire safety.

Is the PhaseRunner going to get a cover? Seems like it would get some road spray from the tire.

Speed should be around 45 to 49 kph, to keep it legal.
The phaserunner is recommended to stay outside for cooling, so probably no cover.
There is no nice way to mount a good classic fender on this fork, (plus this fork is a bit lightweight) so next up will be probably a springer fork, with front fender, to keep the spray off.
The cycle analyst would work great with this setup, it is just so cheap looking.

You could mount the Phaserunner inside a small aluminum box with heat transfer compound. The box then both protects it and acts as a heat sink. Box could even have fins on the outside. The Phaserunner itself is potted, so should be pretty waterproof. It's the connectors going to it that are prone to water ingress.

fechter said:
It's the connectors going to it that are prone to water ingress.

That is why all the connectors are in the "tank", which does not show very well because of the wires still need to be tidied up :)

sjofels said:
That is why all the connectors are in the "tank", which does not show very well because of the wires still need to be tidied up :)

OK, that should be great. The Phaserunner could be inside the "tank" too if it was thermally connected to the side. Heat would transfer through the thickness of the metal quickly.

I like that frame a lot. It's super cool.

Does your swingarm pivot have a bearing in it?

neptronix said:
I like that frame a lot. It's super cool.

Great thanks man!
The philosophy behind the build was "K.I.S.S." and form follows function.

Chalo said:
Does your swingarm pivot have a bearing in it?
Yep, 2 in fact 21mm outside diameter 12mm inside diameter, 800n load a piece.
However I might replace them with some solid bronze.

So; a question, I am undecided about the style of fork I would like to put on it, it should be a simple one, I am torn between a regular 26" no nonsense mtb suspension fork, a springer or possibly build a suspension fork myself.

-I think a regular mtb fork is simple, technically refined and reliable, and easy to replace.
-A springer in my mind is beautiful, but a bit on the nose with the retro look (cliché), and more expensive yet less efficient then a standard mtb one. but a spring on the back and the front is a nice duet (although not aesthetically the same).
- building one myself is going to take a long time to get it right, and can be done at a later stage.
What would you do?

404168_3548300.jpg

372978_3245404.jpg

6158-2OKet0zwuy2JBf.jpg

Honestly, go all the way with the retro look. You are too deep in it already. Go full hipster :lol:
I think it will look good.

TilmanBaumann said:
Honestly, go all the way with the retro look. You are too deep in it already. Go full hipster :lol:
I think it will look good.
You are probably right..
I will build in a espresso machine as well :)

update, new fork, new headlight, new custom handlebar, cleaned up cables, brake through frame.
Nicer saddle also :wink:
Comments are always nice!

dsDlmtq.jpg

K3uAYHJ.jpg

ieG8qja.jpg

e1rjJtD.jpg

gdYP62F.jpg

Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock: Your retro theme truly stands out among the others here in ES. I wish there are more e-bikes like this.

armandd said:
Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock: Your retro theme truly stands out among the others here in ES. I wish there are more e-bikes like this.
I would like to think it is because I built it from the ground up, rater then take an existing bike or moped frame.
Well I'm hoping to produce in some future (or lala land, who is to say)
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot.

It's looking great.

What about some fancier foot pegs? Simple is good, but something like this would be a nice touch:

Foot pegs.jpg

fechter said:
It's looking great.

What about some fancier foot pegs? Simple is good, but something like this would be a nice touch:

Foot pegs.jpg

Too chrome for my taste, but thinking about maybe slapping on some denfeld (functional and no BS) ones in the distant future, first some other areas need my attention (LOGO!!!)
gvRoHCD.jpg

sjofels said:
Too chrome for my taste, but thinking about maybe slapping on some denfeld (functional and no BS) ones in the distant future, first some other areas need my attention (LOGO!!!)

Those look good. All my '70s vintage motorcycles had rubber pegs like that.

I'll be interested to see your logo :thumb:

sjofels said:
armandd said:
I would like to think it is because I built it from the ground up, rater then take an existing bike or moped frame.
Well I'm hoping to produce in some future (or lala land, who is to say)
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot.

Many of the e-moped build here looks either like a motor cross or the stealth fighter/bomber, which looks rather boring. :lol:

armandd said:
Many of the e-moped build here looks either like a motor cross or the stealth fighter/bomber, which looks rather boring. :lol:

E bikes/mopeds do often look like either a stealth bomber (EDGES EVERYWHERE), a fridge (white plastic everywhere!), a bicycle with stuff slapped on (so many wires and bags!), or do the retro thing just for style (Beach cruiser with harley davidson styling, but still no rear suspension, or front suspension, or fenders).
I wanted to make a hommage to the old kreidler/zundapp/honda mopeds.
And I like the philosophy of the ford mustang; make it simple so that it can be tinkered with/ customized. Which was true for mopeds too.

fechter said:
Those look good. All my '70s vintage motorcycles had rubber pegs like that.

I'll be interested to see your logo :thumb:

Yeah my kreidler florett from 1968 has those too. (50 years old!!, how is that for product sustainability)

Back