Scooter hub motor hums and turns slowly

jhartzhe

10 µW
Hi, I have a Green Bee electric scooter (very similar to what's described here: https://websdecode.com/greenBee/metro1) that won't run. It has 5 12V SLA batteries in series and a motor that is stamped "3000W" (no manufacturer). I replaced the controller with a Kelly KEB72450 controller, and I posted a few weeks back about a problem I had with the key switch. I've since solved the key switch issue and its been running great since then (about 2.5 weeks ago), although occasionally it "stumbles" under hard acceleration. It looses power then suddenly accelerates a few times until it gets to about 10 mph, then runs fine. It also flashed a "hall sensor error" light when I first replaced the controller, but I switched some hall sensor wires around and the went away.

Until today. I drove the scooter about 2 miles this morning. At a stoplight, I started accelerated, and the motor made a loud humming noise and stumbled / jerked while rotating very slowing, even with the throttle wide open. I didn't see any smoke, burning, or error lights on the controller. I tried to slowly drive a few more blocks but the stumbling got worse, until nothing happened when I turned the throttle. A hall sensor error light is now flashing.

A possibly related symptom is that one of the phase wires warms up quite a bit more than the others when I'm driving hard (up a hill).

Could this be due to a bad hall sensor or phase wire connection in the motor? I'm thinking this is an issue with something in the motor, but I'm hoping someone's seen something like this before.

Alternatively, I've run out of time and money to put into this thing. I had to leave it parked on the street and continue on bus today, and I don't have a way to get it back to my house. If you are in the Los Angeles area and you'd be interested in this thing, you more than welcome to have it (free). Its a lot of fun (when it works) and I'd love to see it go to someone who could get it running.

Thanks!

Back