Battery Sizing for Electric Motorcycle Races?

VietJr

10 mW
Hello EndlessSphere,

I've been pretty interested in the electric racebike scene, reading a few of Chris Jones threads, along with Ripperton, Zero, Brammo and a few varsity teams such as Team RIT or EMUS. I'm wondering how they go about calculating the battery capacity they need for a race?

Would you try to estimate the average speed around the track you would have and then size the battery to maintain that speed for the duration of the race? Or would you just size the battery to supply the peak power for the duration of the race? The latter would seem to carry a lot of weight though, and the former might limit your performance a lot if your estimation of your top speed is inaccurate.

Or do teams usually size their batteries according to experience after multiple races on a specific track? That seems it would take a very long time to get an optimized battery though. Is there any general rule for sizing a battery according to the track layout/ power constraints of a motorcycle?

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,

I find 14kWh is pretty nice capacity in a race bike if the cells are capable of 5-10C rate discharge.

Back