How to test the batteries and motor ...

gte

100 µW
I bought the battery pack and motor linked below. I'm trying to establish baselines as I'm wiring it up.

Can I test both of them by hooking the battery pack to the motor directly? Once I can establish a baseline, I can finish the wiring, but I'd like to make sure everything works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-Battery-48V-4AH-Battery-e-bike-Lithium-Battery-Lot-Of-2/264065477028 (scroll down for the listing)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-800W-Scooter-Motor-Brush-Controller-Throttle-Grip-Electric-eBike-ATV-Go-kart/263369168257

Do NOT hook up the battery directly to the motor. Doing that can damage the motor.

It is good to test components before permanently mounting them. Set the bicycle upside down and put the motor in the drop-outs.

Hook up all the wires and see if the throttle spins the motor, and spins it in the correct direction.

Every ebiker should buy a digital multi meter / DMM, and a small 6-FET SENSORLESS controller, along with a spare throttle from the same company as your kit (so the connectors are the same)

Thanks. I have a DMM and scope, but not the test controller and spare throttle.

I did hook it up with the controller and throttle I have and nothing happened, which led me to post this topic.

In establishing my baseline, can I leave the motor disconnected and see a ramp up in voltage from the controller output to my DMM? At least this way I can try and narrow down why my motor didn't rotate when I had everything hooked up.

I'm trying to establish a baseline process.

spinningmagnets said:
Do NOT hook up the battery directly to the motor. Doing that can damage the motor.

It is good to test components before permanently mounting them. Set the bicycle upside down and put the motor in the drop-outs.

Hook up all the wires and see if the throttle spins the motor, and spins it in the correct direction.

Every ebiker should buy a digital multi meter / DMM, and a small 6-FET SENSORLESS controller, along with a spare throttle from the same company as your kit (so the connectors are the same)

Some controllers have an ON/OFF switch wire stub. If yes, shorting the wire provides a 5V ON signal as long as the controller is plugged into the battery (some builders use the battery plug/socket as the on/off switch). End users (or dealers) can add a key-switch if desired.

You definitely need to start off with a wiring diagram from the company you bought the kit from. Red and black are fairly reliable as the power pos/neg, but...the rest of the colors on the wires are sadly quite variable from one manufacturer to the next.

The USA is a very small portion of the global ebike market, and the documentations provided from the manufacturers are typically written as the minimum needed to assist a dealer who is contracted to a single vendor of parts. Once the dealer learns the manufacturers wiring color-code and controller features, the companies have very little incentive to make instructions easily understandable for any particular language or culture.

Back