Zero SR

flat tire

100 kW
I would like to get another street bike and don't want to deal with building it. So a new Zero SR seems to be one obvious choice. I might go ride one tomorrow. Talk me out of it. Here are some arguments I've already come up with for and against:

Cons:

--expensive. you can buy some pretty trick gas bikes for that money
--superior, quiet belt drive can break unexpectedly with debris and chain replacement is noisy and requires regular maintenance (this concern may be really overblown)
--Quick but not going to impress the busa boys down the strip

Pros:

--Lack of top end keeps me from getting in too much trouble while still giving reasonable headroom on highway
--Quiet, stealthy, fun
--Reduced maintenance

The fact that you think a lower top speed is better is ridiculous because if you get caught going top speed you can't keep accelerating to 180 and get away like a motor bike and you'd also run out of electric in a Chase and why would you want that problem when you're paying SOOOOO much. The bike is more then a R1 after all maintenance costs which not everybody does all of anyways. Including the cost of gas too so it just doesn't make any sense. I've built a few bikes so far and holy shit if I had $17k budget I would have a racing bike that I build myself that goes 160mph and quick!!!!!

At £20000 for the top model it's not going to be cheap, I could get a electric car with alot more bang for my buck, its a good product but needs to drive its cost down so hard working people that don't earn 6 figures plus with they feet firmly on planet earth can buy them.

I bought a new but Demo 2015 SR in 2016, IIRC. I got in maybe three rides (plus the test ride where I traded it for my Vectrix) because it was riddled with fault codes, including a ground fault code that you are not supposed to ride with. It was fast, it handled great, but it was a POS quality-wise. Zero was little help, and the owner forums were of little help. I'm not the only one who has had a lot of trouble with Zeros. Oh, and they regularly move up the year at which they stop supporting their own bikes, so about the time they start to wear out instead of being defective, you can no longer get parts for them. At that price, don't - just don't. Especially if you don't live near to one of their better service centers.

Went and rode a FXS 6.5. Didn't touch the SR. It was a blast and that thing spins tires all the time at low speed. But the bike really wasn't very fast and most disappointingly at all I couldn't get it to wheelie. They really have the response toned down especially off the line. It's a real shame. The motor also heated up to 200* and I used 20% battery in 3 or 4 miles racing around. Don't get me wrong I would still buy the thing, and may yet do so if I can get a good deal.

Fastass, avoiding any police getaways is a riding objective for me now. If not, I would get a Panigale V4 or something. I just want to ride around for fun. Running from the cops is always a terrible idea unless maybe it's a sure shot with complete plausible deniability. The stakes are too high and there's too much to go wrong even if your piloting is good and vehicle is fast.

flat tire said:
Went and rode a FXS 6.5. Didn't touch the SR. It was a blast and that thing spins tires all the time at low speed. But the bike really wasn't very fast and most disappointingly at all I couldn't get it to wheelie. They really have the response toned down especially off the line. It's a real shame. The motor also heated up to 200* and I used 20% battery in 3 or 4 miles racing around. Don't get me wrong I would still buy the thing, and may yet do so if I can get a good deal.

Fastass, avoiding any police getaways is a riding objective for me now. If not, I would get a Panigale V4 or something. I just want to ride around for fun. Running from the cops is always a terrible idea unless maybe it's a sure shot with complete plausible deniability. The stakes are too high and there's too much to go wrong even if your piloting is good and vehicle is fast.

Think of it from the polices POV. You see a biker doing 120mph. You go to turn on your lights and accelerate to catch up and he starts accelerating more the biker. Now the police officer has to follow and not lose the bike while still calling for backup and not losing sight of you and not crashing. This is a lot to ask for and if I was the biker I'm saying Ciao!

I wouldn't spend all that money to go on a police chase with a limited range bike that has a low top speed, it may accel decent but the bull bars on the local cop cars will happily spread you all over the pavement, its stupid if you think it's a ride to be a dick on, you will soon lose it and your right to be on the road in the first place if you want to think your on mad max then best of prepared to lose your life in that chase with eyes popping out of your head as the interceptor takes you out.

Most folks that get an SR are still enjoying trouble free riding. I would recommend a DSR if evasion is a key buying metric, the bikes that can run you down on the freeway well tend to not have much to offer in chasing off-road.

Fastassmotors said:
Think of it from the polices POV. .....

Depends on where you are from I reckon. Around here between the helicopters, tire strips and pit maneuvers, what you get is 15 minutes of fame and
If convicted of felony reckless evading a police officer, you face up to 16 months, two or three years in state prison, a maximum fine of $10,000, or both prison and fine.
And that is if you don't die in the process of running.

As for the expense of an SR, they are only as good as their ability to get parts and repairs. If you need to get aftermarket parts custom made, get yours made plus 5 others. Sell 4 for a profit to cut the costs of the two you keep. (that is with one on the shelf of course.)

:D :bolt:

I didn't realize parts of the US civilisation had decayed to a point that it's like cival war times just to go out grocery shopping, maybe you should consider this.

Looking into replacing the controller. The bike is pretty tame and I need it to be more wild.

flat tire said:
Looking into replacing the controller. The bike is pretty tame and I need it to be more wild.

The bike tried to pull my arms from my sockets in Sport mode. You likely rode one in Eco. I used the Custom mode to get 80% of max power. Then it only tried to spit me off the back.

liveforphysics said:
Most folks that get an SR are still enjoying trouble free riding. I would recommend a DSR if evasion is a key buying metric, the bikes that can run you down on the freeway well tend to not have much to offer in chasing off-road.

This. My getting away ratio on my dirt bikes has been 100%. You don't even have to go fast, what's officer fatass gonna do chase you on foot?

They don't send helicopters after traffic offenders here, and they certainly don't knock you off your bike at high speed with PIT maneuvers and spike strips. What kind of police state do you live in?

LeftieBiker said:
The bike tried to pull my arms from my sockets in Sport mode. You likely rode one in Eco. I used the Custom mode to get 80% of max power. Then it only tried to spit me off the back.

I rode it in Sport mode. It's not that fast but it's fun enough that I'm still gonna buy it.

I know a guy who broke several belts on FXS by taking off from a side walk too quickly (wheel in the air). I had 13,000 miles on 2014 DS before belt started stripping likely due to incorrect tension set by the shop when replacing tires. Currently onto the second belt with 14,000 miles and no signs of failure. 2014 DS had a narrower (weaker) belt, but then of course I'm not pushing the limits on the bike either, it is just a year round commuter for me.

I got the bike and it had a battery issue. One of the two removable modules was dead. So now they're changing that out while I have another zero.

Yeah the lack of belt capability for shock loading and off road is disappointing cuz the silence of the belt drive is compelling. I will still upgrade to a chain so I can hit the dirt and power out of jumps.

Overall the bike is a lot of fun.

I got the bike and it had a battery issue. One of the two removable modules was dead. So now they're changing that out while I have another zero.

Don't be surprised if the first attempt to repair it isn't completely successful. I too would have minded less if they'd shipped me a loaner bike. ;)

Back