Mobility Scooter upgrade

jeromep

1 µW
I own a a mobility scooter, it is pretty dull max speed 5 mphl and would like some more speed out of it, I would also like it to wheel spin.

The motor is a dc 24 volt 530 watt 3/4 hp 8 amp 3700 rpm Chien ti model 1110-3200.

The controller is a 70 amp rhino dynamic made in New Zealand model number ds72ko1.

It has a Throttle Potentiometer that has anywhere between Snail and Rabbit.

Something in this set up seems to be restricted, how could I fully derestrict the scooter ?

G'day Jerome, maybe I can help. You won't get wheel spin without over volting & from memory the Rhino controller has 30v caps that would blow. It is fully programmable though. There's a 4 pin socket on the controller, often used for charging, that's actually a serial port. Red is positive, black negative & green is signal. The software is called " Dynamic Wizard ". You can change max speed ( limited by gearbox ratio ), max current draw, acceleration & lots of other parameters. I had fun reprogramming a 90 amp Dynamic controller to use in an ebike & often think it would be hilarious to have a hot mobility scooter at a burnout comp!

AussieRider
( If you put where in the world you are in your profile, you might even get help locally )

I've been out of the mobility equipment repair business for a few years, but if anything, innovation in the industry is slow, so I imagine not much has changed.

Yes, you can program the controller with a pc, or a proprietary device that mobility dealers have. Not much can be done, however, as the full speed is limited by the 24v batteries and as mentioned before, the controller can only handle 30v max.

So there are a few things you can do, but nothing as simple as I assume you would like. You can rewind the motors for more speed or you can get a higher voltage controller like one for an ebike.

Speed was the biggest complaint by far with mobility scooters. I was not allowed to do anything for customers, but I did add a scooter controller and throttle to a few scooters for my own amusement.

Thanks for your replies,

I have downloaded the software just need to find a DWIZ kit as the website says I need a dongle to change settings.

I would like to find out what the current setup is capable of.

Would a Chinese controller be easy to wire up ? Do I need a brushed or brush less controller ?

You need a brushed controller. If there's a place near you that services mobility scooters, they may have used controllers for cheap. The Rhino range goes up to 160 amps & there were some 36 volt models though they are very rare. I repair & service mobility scooters for a living. I've only seen 2. You could use a Chinese controller, you'd just have to work out how to set up a throttle & how to do reverse.

AussieRider

Greetings, did you get the scooter working any faster?

Also could the 30 volt caps be changed for a higher voltage?

Hello. In terms of using a mobility scooter controller, are these a simple plug-and-play sort of set-up? Or are they detecting if e-brakes are present /working and generally difficult to re-purpose for a project?

G'day peoples.
I've used a mobility scooter controller in an Ebike so it's doable but I wouldn't call it plug & play. First you need the pinouts of the main plug; on/off switch, throttle, ebrake etc. Then, you need to program the throttle type from wig-wag to uni direction, disable the electric park brake, set up aux in port for ebrake input & so on. Also, I found these controllers don't accept Hall effect throttles, only resistor type. On the plus though, they're robust, reliable, fairly easy to get from 50-160 amps & versatile.
Hope this helps.

AussieRider.

Back