Wheel lacing San Francisco Area

A place to list links to sources for EV related parts and services.

Wheel lacing San Francisco Area

Postby PRW » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:41 am

Hello,
does anyone know who will do lacing of a supplied hub motor in the San Francisco or surrounding areas?
thanks
Peter
PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Re: Wheel lacing San Francisco Area

Postby footloose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Peter,
Know this doesn't answer your specific question, but have you considered lacing your own?
Looks daunting at first but is actually pretty simple.
If you can lace up sneakers and tune a guitar, guarantee you could build your own wheel.
Very detailed instructions: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
Spreadsheet to calculate spoke length: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
The only project-specific tool you absolutely need is a spoke wrench -- truing stand, tension meter, dish stick etc are nice to have but not critical in my experience.
Lace the wheel loosely. Flip the bike and use it as a truing stand. Tension the spokes until they all sound approximately same note, and that note sounds about like a known-good wheel. Mount a baseball card to a stay for measuring wheel trueness and dish. Tweak tension on individual spokes until it all comes together.
I've built half a dozen and they all turned out great using this very low tech approach.
It's a fun project.
Kind of like laying tile for a bathroom floor, you find out it takes some thought and attention but is very doable. And after that every time you take a whiz you appreciate the floor.
Plus, you'll save some money if you lace the wheel, which you can then spend on more battery :lol:
footloose
10 kW
10 kW

Postby PRW » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:44 pm

thanks footloose - very tempting, I don't see why I can't give it a go! Would be fun to try...
PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Postby footloose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm

If you give it a try and get bogged down at some point... give me a shout, I'm local, would be happy to lend a hand.

First build I did took a few hours.
Most of the time was spent trying to figure out "what is this diagram trying to tell me???"
Once that sank in, assembly goes pretty fast.
Last edited by footloose on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
footloose
10 kW
10 kW

Postby PRW » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:34 pm

footloose wrote:If you give it a try and get bogged down at some point... give me a shout, I'm local, would be happy to lend a hand.

First build I did took a few hours.
Most of the time was spent trying to figure out "what is this diagram trying to tell me???"
Once that sank in, assembly goes pretty fast.

excellent, thanks very much! I will get the motor in a couple of weeks (ex Australia...)
PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Postby flat tire » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:55 pm

As mentioned you can do it yourself, OR you can find a bazillion people in a place like SF by asking on craigslist or at a bike shop.
Orange DH w/ Cyclone mid on 6kw
Gary Fisher w/ Leaf hub on 6kw
RC Lipo and domino throttles only!
flat tire
10 kW
10 kW

Postby amberwolf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 pm

There's a lot of lacing info here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64324&hilit=lac*+wheel*
and in similar threads around ES, if it helps.
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Postby PRW » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:18 pm

great, thanks for the help, all! I will give it a go myself, and if I fail miserably, reach out...
PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Return to Resources & EV Related Parts and Services