Where do people get their BMS from?

A place to list links to sources for EV related parts and services.
aybabtme   1 µW

1 µW

Where do people get their BMS from?

Post by aybabtme » Jan 14 2020 11:43pm

Hey folks,
First post, hope this goes well! This might be the dumbest, most often asked question, but I attempted to search for it and didn't find anything about:

- List of BMS manufacturers that people trust.
- Where people purchase these BMS.

I can find BMS on AliExpress and the likes just fine, and I know/own an Orion Jr BMS, have used cheap BMSes from AliExpress before as well on unimportant practice projects. But while I trust Orion BMS, they're pretty expensive and I'm not sure how to differentiate the good from the bad on things like AliExpress, since there's so many clones of variable quality. Sorry if I totally failed at searching and finding the relevant thread. If there's no such thread, maybe this can be it?

Which BMS do you use in which situation, and where do you procure them from? Is there an trust worthy, gold standard open source project?

st35326   100 W

100 W

Re: Where do people get their BMS from?

Post by st35326 » Jan 15 2020 12:07am

Im using this 24s BMS on a battery build Im just finishing with Sony VTC6 cells, I bought from Alta motors when they closed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295406 ... b201603_53

There is a bluetooth app on the Google Play store called VBMS that connects to it so you can adjust all parameters.

I cant vouch for the durability or longevity of this item, yet. I do have a BMS (and pack) from Alex from like 4 years ago that seems to be a very solid system. No Bluetooth or connectivity options, but very good at just doing the basics. Perhaps he will post a link.
Attachments
BMA!@.JPG
BMS Wiring
BMA!@.JPG (133.76 KiB) Viewed 489 times
battt1.jpg
battt1.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Last edited by st35326 on Jan 15 2020 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 15 2020 12:09am

there isn't a single thread with the info you're looking for; i also don't have the answer you're after, directly.

so...i don't know if it helps, but the most common question asked is "which bms", for which there are a few threads. not all of the ones in this list are relevant, but a number are, and might help.
search.php?keywords=which+bms&terms=all ... mit=Search

and "use bms" is anohter common question phrase, so this search finds some too
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&key ... =titleonly

unfortunately afaik almost none of the "open source" diy bms projects that actually produce a working bms actually end up open source; instead they end up just being sold commercially. the rest of them die off before getting something functional, or the creator just disappears, etc.

the only one that stuck around is ennoid, here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92952
and that thread also lists a number of other diy bms projects, though again most are abandoned.

john61ct   100 MW

100 MW

Post by john61ct » Jan 15 2020 9:05am

Best to post with specific need parameters

Ah capacity, cell type (chemistry, size, form factor) and count / layout, desired max amps, any specific features, balancing or not, adjustable or not, comms capabilities, desired price range

etc

aybabtme   1 µW

1 µW

Post by aybabtme » Jan 16 2020 10:49pm

I don't have specific needs right now. Just curious what people's goto resources are. Who they buy from, where they start their searches. Which company's product they like/trust.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 16 2020 10:56pm

rojitor   100 kW

100 kW

Post by rojitor » Jan 17 2020 7:32am