Ebike Test Lab - new review website

EbikeTestLab

100 µW
I've started a new review website where I provide actual data regarding range, acceleration, braking, etc. I've only reviewed one bike so far, a Magnum Metro+, but should have more done within the next few weeks and months. I'd appreciate any feedback you all may have! Thank you in advance!

Check my new site out at: www.ebiketestlab.com
Thanks,
Jason

Looks great, I certainly like the concept as explained on your 'why' page.

Can you include initial thrust in your measurements?

The VBOX sport that I’m using does have an accelerometer so I could certainly include an initial acceleration “g” value. I could also calculate a zero to, say, 5 mph value as a measure of initial thrust. I think both may be helpful, especially when the ebike has a throttle. I’ll add those in.

Thanks for the review and suggestion!

Oh, I forgot to add that I’ve now also reviewed a Faraday Cortland. And I’ve completed the hill climb testing on both the Metro+ and the Faraday.

After the failure of the Ancheer ebike that I tested last year, I've become more and more interested in the reliability of different ebike brands and components. Therefore, I've created a reliability survey to collect data directly from owners. Once enough responses are collected, the results will be shared in a report on these forums. This report will include a brand reliability ranking. More questions will be added in the future to include a component reliability ranking (Bosch vs. Bafang vs. Brose for example). Please take the survey here, your response is greatly appreciated:

https://ebiketestlab.survey.fm/ebike-reliability-survey

If you have suggestions for additional questions, or changes, please let me know!

I'm glad you're doing this research and hope people are filling your survey. If people are as unmotivated as me to fill out surveys, I think you can probably get a lot more data by scraping forums.

I had a look at the survey and see some problems. There is no n/a column. Some owners may not know their top speed, or perhaps they don't care about speed so they put in an awkward position of equating high speed with high quality. They may not have tested their range.. and maybe they never needed mfr support so which q/a level should they select?

The survey also fails to collect data for more than one bike per person. Why limit them? It should probably encourage people to take the survey for as many of their bikes as they are motivated to evaluate.

I suggest removing the "features" row. Everyone attributes different importance on various features. This can be more objectively assessed by one person comparing all the significant features published for each bike.

The survey implies that you're only collecting data for complete bikes, so it neglects those who buy a muscle bike and add a motor. It's also important to capture reliability metrics on kits. In particular, the TSDZ2 spindles for fat bikes are commonly breaking, and riders are likely getting injured. So this should be highlighted.

After the failure of the Ancheer ebike that was tested last year, I've become more and more interested in the reliability of different ebike brands and components. Therefore, I've created a reliability survey to collect data directly from owners. Once enough responses are collected, the results will be shared in a report on the EBR forums. This report will include a brand reliability ranking. More questions will be added in the future to include a component reliability ranking (Bosch vs. Bafang vs. Brose for example). Please take the survey here, your response is greatly appreciated:

https://ebiketestlab.survey.fm/ebike-reliability-survey

If you have suggestions for additional questions, or changes, please let me know!

I just saw this post, need to sort out my notifications from endless sphere. None of the questions are mandatory so they can just be skipped. I have also thought about scraping data from forums and other online user reviews and will probably start working on that soon (as time allows). I do suggest that people just take the survey again for each ebike that is in their household. Perhaps there is a way to have the survey modify based on the number of ebikes, I'll have to look into that as I'm sure it can be done but CrowdSignal is new to me.

I'm not using the features row as part of the calculation but thought it would be interesting data to collect.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back