"Eye-catching" DIY bike lights

A place to list links to sources for EV related parts and services.
MattyCiii
100 kW
100 kW

"Eye-catching" DIY bike lights

Post by MattyCiii » Jan 11, 2016 10:44 am

I'm making a shameless plug for an "Instructable" I just posted.

For short money and using skills any ES member has (a little soldering), you can build yourself some big, bright likes to enhance your biking & e-biking safety. Check it out!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Crazy-G ... ke-Lights/
1st build: Dahon Jetstream folding bike. Quick, reliable, capable of 32mph. Light enough to lift, folds for easy transport by car/bus/train.
2nd build: RC powered 2009 Norco A-Line. Top speed 39mph. Built like a tank, it's resistant to Boston potholes, can stop on a dime, easily goes up/down curbs when necessary.
3rd build (just started): Scratch build ultimate utility bike. Based on a common power module using a NuVinci left side freewheel.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: "Eye-catching" DIY bike lights

Post by amberwolf » Jan 12, 2016 2:36 am

How about building the eyes with "roll around" pupils, on a very slightly curved (upward on outer ends, down in center) clear retainer bar inside a clear "envelope"?

That way as you shift back and forth, the eyes "move". :)

FWIW, I have two EL panels (green) nearly the size of a regular sheet of paper, saved a couple decades back out of some ancient grayscale LCD panels (cant' remember what they were from). If I can remember where the other one is (one is in the next room), I could see about working out an inverter to drive it and making something like this. I probably won't get around to it, unfortunately. :/

In my case, to do the same thing, it would go on the back of the actual bike or trike seat, because my own back isn't visible.

Dauntless
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jan 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Eyes that follow you wherever you go would be the ultimate.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

MattyCiii
100 kW
100 kW

Post by MattyCiii » Jan 15, 2016 1:19 pm

I got a $1000 grant from the Awesome Foundation to host a DIY make your own eyeball bike lights party in Boston. That money will cover about 40 sets of eyes!

Hopefully all those bright eyes on jackets and back packs will make drivers around here more polite and civil.
1st build: Dahon Jetstream folding bike. Quick, reliable, capable of 32mph. Light enough to lift, folds for easy transport by car/bus/train.
2nd build: RC powered 2009 Norco A-Line. Top speed 39mph. Built like a tank, it's resistant to Boston potholes, can stop on a dime, easily goes up/down curbs when necessary.
3rd build (just started): Scratch build ultimate utility bike. Based on a common power module using a NuVinci left side freewheel.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Somehow I doubt it, but we can hope--and it's awesome that youv'e got the help to spread the idea! :)