Products that you just can't seem to get

Lurkin

100 kW
It seems there are a few products I've wanted since I first put my ebike together, which I've been unable to find solutions for and haven't gotten around to modifying something adequately to fill the need.

I thought this thread could be a good place to start listing out things people want, but can't buy because they are either unavailable or don't exist yet. Ideally, others can check them out and provide solutions, be it links to existing products or perhaps using it as an idea to start making things for others.

The list so far consists of:

- Waterproof sock or cover for BBS displays. I had a ghetto cover made from a chopped sandwich bag and tape, which despite being hideous, was very, very functional. No water ingress problems when I was using it. I removed it because I hated its ghettoness and was caught in rain shortly after - dead display. I've looked around, but never found, a well made, waterproof baggie or sock to sneak over it. I tried making a silicon cover, ideally ending up like a silicon cellphone cover, but it turned out rubbish and has since been binned. Given the display is now dead, I don't have a pressing need for this, but it could be something for others in the future. Given the displays are expensive to replace and are relatively vulnerable, makes sense to me to have a reasonably priced cover protecting it.

- Clip on mudguard for the BBS motor/controller unit. It sits right in the spray of the front wheel and when theres a decent downpour it isn't ideal. Sure, the units are waterproof and the controller potted, but I've learnt the lesson the hard way with the 'waterproof' display failing due to water ingress. Happy with a plastic guard to redirect the water off downtube/front of the unit, was thinking a flexible plastic guard that could be generically larger than required and easily able to be cut to fit? Neoprene comes to mind. Alternatively, I'd settle for a aluminium bash guard for the more robust offering?

- Waterproof cover for Dolphin Batteries. Their considered waterproof and no doubt others have had good results with them as I have. However, doesn't hurt to have additional precautions to ensure nothing gets wet! I've been electrical taping a single use regular shopping back over the battery, which fits pretty well and keeps the battery perfectly dry, but again, its ghetto as hell and draws the wrong kind of attention. A neat silicon sock would be pretty ideal or even just a water 'over baggie' like that for tramping packs or pannier bags. I have a few on the way from China (tramping pack covers) which I thought I'd cut down to make a neat over baggie, so we can see how that goes. Silicone cover would probably be better because it would be waterproof and also provide a layer of insulation on super cold mornings? Would also protect the battery from any small knocks/ abrasions.

- Lighter weight and middrive ready DIY frame offerings. I don't need a motorcycle powered bike, sub 1kw is probably enough for me. I'd love to see more aluminium and carbon fibre being used, obviously the main deterrent there cost and likely an assumption that the niche for lightweight frames is already covered by regular bike manufacturers. But the reality is far from it, I'd really like to see a light weight, thin, more bicycle shaped frame designed to be peddled but having both the benefits of a regular bike frame AND a 'battery box' frame. Cant help but think there could be plenty of thicker than usual bike frame tubing which could be made to accessible specifically for 18650 stick insertion and an appropriate mounting platform for a middrive set up. Food of thought anyway.

- A reasonably priced, openly tested, reliable, safe source of BMS. Preferably programmable with LVC and HVC points which can be changed, programmable/controllable current and voltage.

There's a leather cover for dolphin batteries: http://www.bicyclejunction.co.nz/products/linus-roadster-electric
This version is not waterproof but you can probably get one made. This is the manufacturer: http://meniscus.nz/
I'm sure you could find somone local who could make something similar.

BJ_Stock-7_large.jpg

Waterproof is a big deal to me too. I avoid riding in the rain and am setup (displayless and resistant batteries and controller) ok for a drizzle or any puddles, but for actual waterproof accessorization I'm thinking of checking out diving products?

This was the first site I clicked on. http://www.leisurepro.com/c-2021/dry-bags maybe there's useful items or at least thought provoking.
All I really want is more offerings of middrive brushless inrunners weighing 8-15lbs for parallel drives. With integratable cooling as a bonus. And of course cheaper/ better performing/ more compact and light batteries than today's lipo offerings.

This video demonstrates some techniques for waterproofing RC electronics. I've not applied to my ebike yet but I'm tempted.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z8QMgTEA4

Nickel strip suitable to be used with 18650 spacers which have fusing cut into the strip to allow for cell level fusing in the pack, by default.

Back