Apollo 250 Dirt Bike Conversion

skeetab5780 said:
Ya temp monitor would have saved the motor but wouldnt have made it more capable. Tbh if it dies that easy i dont want the pos!
Maybe it would have need a larger reduction and more RPM (usually motors overheat due to to high load, thus phase curren's).

macribs said:
Well look at the bright side, no thieving bastards will walk a mile in the pooring rain to push an e-moto a mile uphills in the mud and the flood.
I better would take the risk of a thiev than knowing battery and controller are in the rain :lol:

I took the battery and camera with me, motor and controller left with bike.

Ya higher reduction would have helped but it was only geared for like 40mph at 20s

I just know if i geared it for 34mph id get bored with it, but now its really boring!

How far is the bike swamped up the road? Could you possibly push a wheelbarrow or garden cart in there and do 2 trips, one for the wheels and whatever else you could pull off and another trip to get the frame out?

Thanks for the ideas and concerns guys, I finally recovered the Apollo this morning! I brought some hand tools with me and decided to take the chain off the bike and it made it waaaay easier to push, that was half the problem. I think I exaggerated a bit since it was more like a half mile from the road but I was able to push it back resting for a few short breaks on the hills.

The Apollo Recovery!
[youtube]OZ1jNtMWmcc[/youtube]

Here is what she looks like in the AM
IMG_1878.JPG
A little more rust today!
IMG_1879.JPG

So I ripped the bike apart with a hope to tear the motor apart...Got it all taken apart but didn't get to open up the motor, it smells awful though
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1892.JPG

Yep you weren't kidding that trail was a tiny bit wet there wasn't it? Good job on the recovery effort, you going to punish it by making it run again?

Raisedeyebrows said:
Yep you weren't kidding that trail was a tiny bit wet there wasn't it? Good job on the recovery effort, you going to punish it by making it run again?

The motor and controller may run again but i scrapped the bike. May make a custom frame now that i own a good welder. I have a headtube already!

Would you recommend this motor? I'm on the cusp of ordering one for a trials bike. 10T front 70t rear.

bigpie said:
Would you recommend this motor? I'm on the cusp of ordering one for a trials bike. 10T front 70t rear.

Should be ok with this motor, id gear it even higher of a ratio depending on the weight of you and the bike combined. But usually trial riding is slower so 8:1 wont fry the motor like I did.

I can't find any EU suppliers of larger rear sprocket. If I need a larger I'll have to make up a jack shaft. I've gone and bought it. cheers

bigpie said:
I can't find any EU suppliers of larger rear sprocket. If I need a larger I'll have to make up a jack shaft. I've gone and bought it. cheers

Price is right... I wish their smaller motors had mounting options

skeetab5780 said:
Its still on the trail that i know of and we have two days of rain with flood warning forecast...its pouring on her right now :(

any idea what kind of power you were pushing into it? or what phase amps were set to?

sn0wchyld said:
skeetab5780 said:
Its still on the trail that i know of and we have two days of rain with flood warning forecast...its pouring on her right now :(

any idea what kind of power you were pushing into it?

18S X 120A 8000W maybe?

this is just a guess based on a 300a Kelly controller (300a phase current)

How long did the "Soft start" on the KLS7230 last for before it actually started pulling? Did it seem like it was based on anything in particular (speed, distance, time, etc)?

I'm planning to use a pair of them to run two 120mm outrunners on my street bike.

I originally wanted to build an electric dual sport, but gave up on finding a decent donor and bought a Ninja 500.

Here is a copy paste from another forum topic with the same controller. I have since sold mine and no longer have it

Post by 2WheelsMovesTheSoul » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am

As a KLS-7230S owner, user and abuser, Imma chime in here.

I run mine on QS205 50H V3 3t motor with Statorade and Hubsink fins. I also have a 300a shunt metering power consumption. My pack is 72v nominal and 200a capable.

I routinely pull the controllers limit of 120a which pushes my tubby ass and 150lb bike up to a swift AF 55 mph and have had no overheating issue with the KLS as of yet. It is externally mounted (using Qulbix shield)and gets plenty of air though. As far as it being a small controller, internally, nearly all available space is utilized. Say a KT controller, one of those candy bar shaped ones, there is a huge waste of space inside and there's very little mass for heat to get out. That's why it's so long. The KLS is far heavier in a smaller overall footprint.

However, I do share the same gripe. From 0-10, it is an absolute fuggin slouch. It feels like any basic bitch 500w controller, once you reach say 8-10mph, with the right settings it ramps up like a mofo and begins to perform like a motorcycle. Generally speaking when I ride my bike, I'm only at 0mph when I leave my house and occasionally at traffic lights. When already rolling... even down to 5 mph. The slow start BS virtually disappears.

If you want a smooth, silent and very efficient controller, the KLS is a relatively good choice. I only say good because by now Kelly really should have some sort of LCD, OLED or TFT display. While it may have a Bluetooth app, its by no means a real time HUD. That would be my 2nd biggest gripe.

07-acc-d7500-06-size.jpg

hi skeetab i know you've fried the D7500 but silly me i'm considering it as an "upgrade" motor to replace the BHT (which heats up a lot on slow technical climbs).

is that 127mm dimension accurate? if so then 127mm should have no trouble fitting in my frame

lastly, do you even recommend this plan? :lol: coz you've owned both BHT and D7500. planning to use 11t motor, 70t rear

127mm is correct, but the bolt pattern face of the motor is pretty wide its like 190mm square

that gearing sounds a bit better than mine, the weight of my bike and the gear ratio being a tad off burnt it up real fast, BHT seemed similar in performance until the mounts bent IMO

temp monitor for sure and this thing should be good, without it idk

Some lost footage from atleast 5 years ago of the Apollo BHT before I swapped it to a D4500 Denzel motor and fried it...You can tell it was my old camera because the audio quality is awful!

Back