Yamaha FZR-8000 Genesis

r9NsLX4.jpg

Started cutting the tank, still some tweaking to do but sort of fits now. Also "fixed" the broken parts of the front fairing with semi transparent acrylic.

DWwLJuO.jpg

BMS wires finished, but looks like absolute chaos.

gvBNcDf.jpg

Bought a second hand right side pedal hanger, plan is to machine a custom left hand side one.

Latest update:

1Zk6LKh.jpg

WIP mounting for the charger under the seat.

QXERe1c.jpg

What will be the instrument cluster.

0S7NAgZ.jpg

Phase wire junctionbox, designed so I can cut down the thin flimsy original phasewires as short as possible. Originally intended to have it mounted as pictured on the inside of the swingarm. It fits this way but it makes it very difficult to install, so the new plan is to instead mount it behind the charger in the rear subframe.

And yesterday I finished one of the most important milestones for this project and got my motorcycle drivers-license!

a6iRwIy.jpg

Tablet dashboard mounted, but I should probably redesign this so I can take the tablet with me when I leave the bike so it won't get stolen.

dlpBx26.jpg

All internals done in the battery pack, hopefully I won't have to open that for a while, it's still a hellish mess inside. Safety disconnect and contactor tested.

Took a few days off work and actually got a lot done for once.

yQQsVnZ.jpg

Phasewire junctionbox halfway done.

byHciAD.jpg

Junctionbox fully finished. Don't love how big and chunky it is and how much it juts out, might make a v2 at some point.

KegLLCG.jpg

Front brakes assembled, picture from the bleeding process.

3cfAPIL.jpg

With working brakes and the phase wires finished I could take the bike out for a very sketchy first test ride.

MkDTZ24.jpg

First dirt on the tires!

Could never get the Domino throttle to play nice with the Kelly so it's back to the flimsy one QS sent me, works fine but feels like it will fall apart any second.

Need to get a front mudguard, the tank back on and footpegs on both sides ASAP now.

Super excited about your recent progress! How did the first ride go? Have you installed the throttle bars from QS yet?

I'm about to order similar parts from QS as you: 8000kW HUB-motor, Kelly controller, throttle bars, rear brakes. Probably the same kit you bought. What are your battery and BMS specs. Also, what charger are you using?

I'm embarking on a very similar project. If you could check my page every once in a while and give me feedback, that'd be awesome. See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102946

Thanks!

Lightrule said:
Super excited about your recent progress! How did the first ride go? Have you installed the throttle bars from QS yet?
Throttle bars?

I'm about to order similar parts from QS as you: 8000kW HUB-motor, Kelly controller, throttle bars, rear brakes. Probably the same kit you bought. What are your battery and BMS specs. Also, what charger are you using?
The kit I got

Battery is LG M36 18650 cells in a 26s30p configuration
Charger is This

BMS is an ORION 2 48S

I'm embarking on a very similar project. If you could check my page every once in a while and give me feedback, that'd be awesome. See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102946
Looks cool! You gave yourself a bit of extra work picking a bike with a loadbearing engine though, avoiding that was one of the reason I went with the FZR-1000 instead of something newer like an R1 or GSXR1000.

Thanks!

My comments in green above.

[youtube]tgdqG0t62Do[/youtube]
Short test run on my shitty road.

mdnexbG.jpg

Glamour shot in the sun.
BIqgLhe.jpg

Detail on the type-2 charging socket. Not plugged in yet, but at least it's in its proper place.
wO0XOQa.jpg

Dashboard sort of working.

Hi Anders

Very nice build indeed! I'm just about to embark on a similar project. And im very close to ordering my QS motor.

Where did you get the 3D model of the QS motor?
Also, have you tested the motors performance? I'm very curious on how it accelerates. I'm split on getting a 8kw or going for the 12kw.

boogiemate said:
Where did you get the 3D model of the QS motor?
Also, have you tested the motors performance? I'm very curious on how it accelerates. I'm split on getting a 8kw or going for the 12kw.

I modelled the motor myself in Fusion360 based off the drawing given to me by QS.

Far too early to say much about the performance, haven't done much testing at all. And non of it have been on a proper asphalt road. I'd say it feels about as quick as my FZR-600R gas bike from 0 to 50 km/h at least, and I'm currently running at 60% current.

Which motor you want depends on the what you want your bike to do. Reason I went with the 8kW instead of the 12/14kW version was simply price and weight, the larger motor being significantly heavier. If I burn out this motor I can get the larger one then.

z7Ibwdl.jpg

Have yet to get the BMS to do the handshake with the Type-2 socket and EVSE, but I added a basic household plug and got the charger working that way at least.

s7rmzNr.jpg

Cleaned up the wiring a little bit, no wires are passing over the outside of the frame anymore.

Fne9JNm.jpg

Finally got the Domino throttle working, added 3 1k Ohm resistors in parallel(only ones I had on hand) to the ground wire, and now it works with the Kelly.

iAvQTLK.jpg

New throttle and dashboard.

w5kucn2.jpg

Started assembling the water to air battery heatexchanger, will wait for some nicer PC watercooling hoses before I finalize it.

tAr06jz.jpg

Cooling system works, it's quite noisy and not very efficient though so might not use it. Iirc it was about 16c in the room in that picture. Reckon it will work a lot better if I insulate the hoses.

jlJpFkC.jpg

Cut a new dashboard, and added indicator lights for highbeams and indicators. Not a perfect fit but it'll do for now.

SosPyBb.jpg

New mudguard, that isn't going to protect the charger fan from much mud as is.... Need to 3d print some new bits for it.

thsfpi8.jpg

First attempt at a 3d printed part for the bike, cosmetic piece to cover the gap between the tank and the charge port.

nuKOeBB.png

Had the first(Out of 3) roadworhyness inspections and they wanted me to add some steel reinforcement to the swingarm around where the motoraxle mounts are, so I'll have to build something like this.

Hi Anders - been following your build for sometime. I’m now converting a Yamasaki of all things - found the frame and swing arm size is more suited to the QS Motor hub axle/drop out for the 17” wheel format.

I’m sure my swing arm is different to yours but as mine was box section steel I was able to design a pair of adapter plates that slotted into the box section and had the axle cut out for the QS Motor machined into them. I designed them in CAD and then had them made up by a machine shop in 6061 Aluminium.

E784-A28-A-06-E7-4221-9-AD3-AA606-D9-ACFE9.jpg

F14-AF8-BB-0254-42-A2-B479-9-AEC4-AFC265-D.jpg

Benefit is I didn’t have to make any mods to the swing arm in terms of cutting it to make a slot for the QS Motor axle flats. You can see from the pics that the plates bolt in either end of the existing swing arm axle cut out.

06142-C9-A-6-E95-4-FAE-9-C68-0-F627864-B91-A.jpg

I’m now at the stage of wiring everything up on the bike - motor/controller/battery set up has already been bench tested off the bike - and I realise I need to extend the motor phase wires like you had to with the junction box. I don’t have access to a 3D printer but have a number of plastic enclosure boxes I can use. Can I ask, did you just use M8/M10 bolts to form the joins between the wires in your box design?

If my swingarm was a bit narrower I would have been able to mount the motor similar to you, which would have been way better. But the FZR-1000 originally has a 4.5" wide rear rim so it's too wide for the QS motor.

XSTxVdy.png

That's how the inside of the original junctionbox looks, 25mm² cableshoes connected with M8 bolts. I'm in the process of replacing it with a more durable aluminum enclosure, but the function will be the same.

Heat shrink tubing is this stuff from Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840234893.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dFEJruz

Cables are from a local welding supplier, big arcwelders have nice flexible multistrand cables that also come in orange.

swiftyds said:
I’m sure my swing arm is different to yours but as mine was box section steel I was able to design a pair of adapter plates that slotted into the box section and had the axle cut out for the QS Motor machined into them. I designed them in CAD and then had them made up by a machine shop in 6061 Aluminium.

Unless you're running less than 15-20KW and you don't use regen, there is a really, really high chance your system will fail.
On a friend's bike we did something similar at first, but using steel unstead of aluminum and it didn't hold up to the torque, the slots were being grinded slowly by the motor axis. Needless to say that if it fails, then you will destroy entirely your phase wires, destroying your motor and potentially your controller too.

Do not trust your current setup, it is not safe. It does look nice that's for sure, but you better add a clamp somewhere to really secure it.
That depends of course of what kind of starting torque your bike has, but on Anders' bike that wouldn't hold up.

Thanks for the feedback - I don’t want to hijack Anders thread here but I’m not using regen and it’s a 4Kw hub Motor only and I’m planning to only pull max 10Kw out of the battery pack. Will be keeping close eye on ally plates and wheel bolts.

mTYFfvV.jpg

Got myself my own 3D printer so spent most of the weekend building and playing with that.
y4MBcxy.jpg

Added an aluminium crossbar in front of the battery box with some 3d printed spacer blocks in between them to work as a bit of extra support for the battery during heavy braking or in the worst case scenario a crash.
d7gGRMG.jpg

Triangle block with an embedded locknut.
fFq0RJ8.jpg

Printed a new charging cable cap thingy. This design attaches to the cap instead of to the tank.

Excellent work!

What are you accessing the canbus data from on Torque? is it from the Orion BMS or via the Kelly Controller?

Some more pics of the progress:
GaTBbPl.jpg

3D printed TPU cable support for the main power cables to keep them from shafing on the frame. There is another larger piece that covers the gap between the battery case and the frame, but didn't have a good picture of that.
1qMPi0o.jpg

New phase wire junction box, ASA with a TPU gasket. Mounted on a 5mm thick aluminium L profile.
ViEc5Gh.jpg

Little TPU feet for the seat.

Lots of good progress.
I wouldn't run the controller at 100% on either phase current or battery current limit. It WILL let out the magic smoke at that setting.

Back