1996 Kawasaki EV600

Csecrist3

10 mW
So the build has started! Here are some of the components I have and will be working through:
Motor: K91-4003 Motor
At 96V
Continuous rating: 7.3 kw (10.0 hp)
Peak output: 21.3 kw (29.0 hp)
Controller: Curtis PMC 1231C-86XX
BMS: ZEVA EVMS3 with 3-12 Cell Modules
Integrated Precharge
Current Sensor
Batteries: A123 26650 LiFePo4
Nominal 3.3V
2.5 AH Capacity
(Traded them next to nothing. Had a bunch of items for the trade and received 5 40V Bus modules from used Chinese buses I believe)
Configuration: 32S 15P 102V 37.5Ah (probably less since they're used modules) 480 individual cells
DC-DC Converter: TSM 96v DC-DC
Thunder Struck Motors 96V DC-DC Converter
Allowable input 72V-135V

I got the bike frame off of a $50 lot with no title, but should be able to get a custom build title here in Indiana. It was painted to hell with multiple coats of black, pink, red, you name it! Had to power wash it a few different times with some paint stripping and other compounds. Once I have all of the components set up, I have some stock '96 zx600 fairings I am going to place on the bike. Hopefully they fit with the new power plant under it!

I started tearing down the battery modules to get the cell ends cleaned up and ready for a new pack configuration. My grandfather is a machinist and he is helping with the motor mounts and probably other fabrication processes needed. Not looking for a real show stopper, just wanting to make an electric bike and push the limits of my knowledge and curiosity.

Attachments

• IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_4018.jpg
    IMG_4018.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1,496
I have some updates. Last weekend my grandfather and I went to his shop and welded and placed the motor in the frame! Huge milestone as anyone may know!
I have some alignment left and right play on the shaft along with motor mounting alignment up and down for chain tensioning as well as the rear swing arm adjustment for the tension as well.

This weekend I am finishing up mocking my battery pack under the tank and going to finish cleaning up all of the used A123 26650 cells. I have all my bits to complete the pack besides the shrink wrap around but I will wait to get the right size after it's done.

As far as the controller, would that be a suitable place for it so it can be air cooled just like a radiator? I would have it in a framed set up with a protective grill on the front of the heat sink. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_4075.jpg
    IMG_4075.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 1,357
Here is some mock ups of the bike. I have a cardboard box in place of my battery along with the fairings and controller on the back. Looks rather concealed for the most part!

I have to angle the battery a bit to fit between a frame brace and under the tank that I have. The tanks doesn't go with the bike as it's a CBR 600 tank on a ZX 600 Kawi frame, but hey, it's what I had laying around.

Still working on the battery tear down and then rebuild after a bit of research to fine tune the build.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,246
  • thumbnail-_1_.jpg
    thumbnail-_1_.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • thumbnail-_2_.jpg
    thumbnail-_2_.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,246
Interesting, your choice of a brushed motor. There's those here on ES who will say brushless is the only way to go but I reckon brush still have their users.

AussieRider

Not too excited about the brushed motor, but it was all I had. I picked it up from a guy in New York, had it shipped here, and tore it out of the trike he had built. I am big into bikes and motorcycles so I wanted something more in my realm. He basically had all of the bits including the chevy volt batteries, but the batteries were toasted and swollen. So a lot of this stuff is second-hand. This is my first conversion so I said the heck with it!

That's the way mate!
Now you're addicted, you WILL want to get a little bit more out of wot you build.
You WILL blow stuff up as you learn & see a lot of magic smoke escape. We all did.
Might as well blow up cheap stuff first & have fun along the way.
Just don't get ahead of yourself when it comes to lithium batteries. Don't scrimp there.
Start with a professionally built unit.
Back when, I thought I knew more about building & maintaining LiPo than I actually did.
Soldering cells, paralleling serial strings instead of serialling parallel groups & no woosy BMS for me.
Those sort of rooky mistakes.
Result was an expensive but really spectacular lithium fire. It was so hot ( get it? ).
Wish I could've filmed it as a warning for others.
Anyhow mate, I hope you enjoy your EV journey as much as I have so far.
Keep us posted on your progress.

AussieRider.

AussieRider,

Thanks for the input! I am experiencing as we go and I'm trying to be as diligent as I can be with the knowledge on here and a few other forums. What's one thing to keep an eye on. I have been looking into the battery pack build as I am ramping up on the build, but have to tear down a few a123 26650 modules from a bus and rebuild it, cleaning all the tabs and welds and rewrapping any that might have been damaged. I am compiling a list of internal resistance on each individual cell to make sure I am in spec. I will post my results to make sure things are good before I start physically building it.

Back