eGO Scooter Conversion

EVJoE116

1 µW
Hi All,

I've been reading endless sphere posts for many years now, but never quite had the time to add a post of my own. Thought I'd start things off with one my favorite projects. I basically gutted an old eGO scooter of all its internals and belt drive system, and replaced everything with a monster hub motor and 72V battery and controller.

Battery is a very compact 72V 80amp cont (120a burst) 8aH
Controller for now is 72V 50amp controller by Crystalyte
Hub motor is a Crystalyte H4060 on a 20" wheel
Front wheel has a 203mm rotor with Avid BB7 Caliper for a massive upgrade in braking performance.

While this setup tops out at 30mph (due to the high torque windings), the acceleration is impressive considering I weigh over 220 lbs. Its also whisper quiet when compared to the antiquated belt drive system of the original eGO scooter.

I have many pictures of the conversion to share if anyone is interested. I'd also be happy to answer any questions, if this is something you'd like to build yourself. Cheers!

s-l1600.jpg
67221451_358281394867251_641134588889923584_n.jpg

Love it. Please post you upgrade pictures. I almost bought a pair of this scooter on offer up a few month back. They were selling them for $100 for both. Wish I have seen you post.
Cheers

That's cool. I have thought about doing that to an eGo belonging to a friend of mine. Not only does it give you a better and more efficient motor, but it frees up a lot of space inside the chassis for different batteries and/or robust onboard charging.

I'm curious what your battery solution was.

I agree with that. Function is more important to be now days.
EVJoE116 do you still have the fender and luggage rack you too off? I don't mind getting them from you at a good price. :D :D
You still around? When is the build pictures coming?

Elektrosherpa said:
Comparing the two pictures, I am asking myself,
why most "modernisations" of old vehicles
(not only this one, also motorbikes etc)
go towards less usability in "every day situations":
No luggage rack, no mudguards, no lights...

Many times, it's because those are the parts that get busted and janky first.

No pedals so its a motorcycle. Allowed in Texas?

Chalo said:
That's cool. I have thought about doing that to an eGo belonging to a friend of mine. Not only does it give you a better and more efficient motor, but it frees up a lot of space inside the chassis for different batteries and/or robust onboard charging.

I'm curious what your battery solution was.

markz said:

Chalo said:
That's cool. I have thought about doing that to an eGo belonging to a friend of mine.

Yeah, even before Texas got a statewide category called "motor assisted scooter", local Austin policy was to ignore low speed scooters even when they were gas burning and unplated.

Stock eGo scooters fit squarely in the motor assisted scooter category.

See if I under stand this right. No tags or peddles and legal in Texas? Wonder what the San Antonio ordnance is?

by Chalo » Sep 19 2021 2:47pm

markz wrote: ↑Sep 19 2021 12:41pm
Chalo wrote: ↑Sep 16 2021 10:55pm
That's cool. I have thought about doing that to an eGo belonging to a friend of mine.
Yeah, even before Texas got a statewide category called "motor assisted scooter", local Austin policy was to ignore low speed scooters even when they were gas burning and unplated.

Stock eGo scooters fit squarely in the motor assisted scooter category.

A person commits an offense if the person:
Operates a motor assisted scooter which has been mechanically altered from the original manufacturer's design;
19-294. Motor assisted scooters, neighborhood electric vehicles, pocket bikes, and mini motorbikes.

Back