48kw stand up scooter

Emilio Cano

1 µW
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and to e-scooters, and I'm glad I have found this amazing hobby, as it seems as one of the most entertaining and mind clearing hobbies there is, with lots of amazing people in it. I have just started in the scooter world, but have an ambitious idea. I want to build a 48kw stand up scooter, with two 12 inch 12000w (24000w peak) qs motors. This means it's a big scooter tyre, but I have seen the weped dark night with the 16 inch wheels, which makes me sure it's possible. Right now im looking at vrm 319r tyres for the motors. I'm new, I will take any advice, and have a few questions as well. Should I make my own chassis, including figuring out suspension geometry for the big tyres, and solutions for the battery and controllers? ( i would have to learn how to weld), or should I take an electronic free chassis and modify its suspension to accommodate the big wheels? Also, what 96 volt battery should I use? Should this be a motorcycle or a cuad? Thanks everyone beforehand

Wow... first post and you want to go up to 48kw for a scooter already.

You do realize that's 48,000 watts / 750 watts to translate to horsepower and so you are talking about over fifty horsepower.

Lion Taming is very dangerous... maybe Certified Public Accounting seems more realistic?

I'm kidding.

What power level have you tried so far?

As far as I know most scooters start at one or two horsepower so this is a totally different machine which might be difficult to even ride.

Hi, I know I'm planning something absurd, superflous and dangerous, but I have been thinking of my goals and I think it could be very fun to do my very own powerfull scooter, in my humble and unknowledgeable opinion. I am aware that 745w is 1 hp, in fact I've been into rc cars and have one with 16kw and around 20hp, weighting at 7kg, but it only has 1nm of torque. I, as you said, ride a scooter just below 1hp, at 500w, but I would love to build this amazing and bewildering scooter, at least while I have the capability of being financially supported by my parents and I don't live in a house of my own, if I'm successful enough to own a house either way. Sorry for being so out of topic

I'd say start with an existing frame design (ideally a nearly complete scooter but using gas power) and add the first motor as the rear wheel to see how that works.

So your first build is really just switching from gas to electric.

Already with one of those motors you are in the 30 hp range at peak.

Here is your first big problem.... batteries are heavy compared to gasoline so if you need to apply 24kw worth of power and we assume 100 volts then you need:

24,000 watts power = 100 volts * 240 amps.

Now think of that battery and let's figure a typical cylindrical cell running at about 12C as a maximum and that's really too much because most don't go past 6C for more than a few seconds. So we get:

240 amps / 12C = 20 ah.

Do you see how that battery is growing in size and weight really quickly?

Now one option is to switch to pouch type cells that can often do higher C rates more easily simply because they are designed flat with huge tabs for input and output.

Maybe you put together a battery with 20ah pouch cells in whatever gets to 100 volts... about 24S I think.

Figure at least a pound per cell so about 25 lbs of battery.

Your range at full power will be pretty limited. I'd guess a hard ride would run under half an hour.

That's how I would approach this problem.

Because a 48kw configuration means you would need at least 50 lbs of battery to get anything worth while and that seems heavy, but maybe it could be okay.

Handling is going to be the thing you want to test by a slow incremental process of learning what it can do.

Wear full leathers if you have them and a helmet and gloves because a big failure in testing can mean a big crash.

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate your input. I'm going to follow your advice and start with a gas powered scooter. This is a long term project, so I'm gonna do some good research to do a good job. Thank you!!!

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2x-spim08hp-3-7v-8ah-cells-with-threaded-insert

These are really inexpensive and the capacity is really low, but buying these might be a way to reach the highest power levels you are looking for but at a shorter duration. (think of it as your test battery)

I own this type of pouch cell and have thousands of miles on them.

The number one problem is they really hate being cold. Once you warm them up you can get the peak amps you want but when cold they won't even give you half of what they list them as doing.

So if you are looking for a really easy way to get a pack that can perform well this is an option.

They act almost like a Supercapacitor when warm.

And I charge mine (single cell string of 12S) which is 8ah at up to 40 amps (5C) when warm and they love it.

Another thing is you need to deliver 240 amps which is a high end controller and I'm not really up on that information.

Hopefully someone else here could say something if they read this.

Back