mongoose cx450 Project

This is a project I started a while ago. I have been waiting for a lifepo4 battery for over 2 months. I first ordered a battery from ebay member 2707co (Lau chan). That was a nightmare. I waited over a month only to finally get a refund. I then ordered 2 headway packs which also took forever but so far seem to be well worth the wait. I will be taking apart pack 2 & making it an extended range pack that will dock under the seat. Each pack is 48 volt 10ah. Which seems to be more than enough. I have only used the onboard pack so far & it goes way further than I expected plus I still havent even really tested it much yet. I am very impressed with the performance of this bike & so are the other 5 people who rode it 1 rider weighs 220lbs. I clocked 43 mph today with a police radar sign. I will be lowering that a little by using a larger rear sprocket to gain more torq. Here is what I have setup so far.

1 currie tech 1000 watt motor (I may add a 2nd after ex range pack)
1 kelly kds48100 controller (I may add a 2nd after ex range pack)
1 48 volt 10ah headway lifepo4 pack (soon to be 2 packs)
1 14 tooth #25 drive sprocket
1 80 tooth #25 driven sprocket (looking for larger one)
1 mongoose cx24v450 bike (discontinued)
2 3"x 20" chopper bike tires (may be changed to maxxis tires)

I am waiting for a lhd scooter freewheel & then I will be able to use the pedals. I am also going to make fairings that will hold the battery display, switch, charger port & cover the batt, contactor & wires.

Attachments

• DSC00052.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 3,886
  • DSC00053.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 7,100
  • DSC00055.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 7,100
  • CX24V1.jpg
    CX24V1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 7,578
Looks nice. Why are you thinking of changing to Maxxis tires? What did you have to do to get the new motor positioned? How is the motor sound compared with the original geared motor? How are you liking the Kelly controller?

The large tires work well but I am having a hard time balancing them. After cutting the motor away from the gearbox it fit on the bikes original bracket. If I found the lhd freewheel when I started this I would have been able to leave the bracket as is. There is essentially no sound. The controller really brings the motor to life & its the second project I am using one with.

Yeah that is a sweet build. If you want to freak out hold the front wheel still and twist the handle bars :)

What forks are you going to upgrade to or do you plan to?

What are the power switch and relay rated at? I need to get something like that since my power switch is connecting the cable :)

I think the mx450 design has just a great shape and wish I could build one from scratch just a few inches bigger.
Any new news?

I have a currie dyno almost the same. Stock motor and gearing but overvolted at 36v with 36v controller .

Those forks are pretty strong. I carry 21 kg of SLA's on it and I hit a hard wood post head on doing 28kph. Nothing like 48 mph. The forks suvived but are now bent back a bit but still are in use.

I have some spares so I amn going to get to fixing it.

Alright last time I posted these pics the site went down & these pics were gone when it came back on. These are the most recent pics

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

I bent the forks bad & need a new set so this project is on hold for now.

Yeah I got some better forks, find my build thread. The head tube on my new forks is like 9.5 inches and it is still about 1/4 inch too short, I am going to tear it down and cut off 1/4 inch from the frame. I am still waiting for my batteries :( but it is winter so I haven't even ridden except once.

I made some changes to this bike. I now have the 1000 w unite motor running a sturmey archer 3 speed hub ($50 including rim). I also changed the handle bars to more ergonomic bars. I reconfigured the battery pack so I could fit all the components within the bike frame. I have had so many people ride it with this current setup & everyone is so impressed including myself. The all around feel & power of the bike is great considering what is is. We had it at my friends house last weekend to see how it performed against his crf70 & it blew the 70 away. I couldn't believe it. It even did good on the track he has setup in his back yard.

I broke the back brake in a crash :mrgreen: & it needs better suspension. since its to hard to find usable parts for I am going to stop working on it & just ride it till it stops.

Picture002.jpg

Here are more pics http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/duffmanaudio/mongoose%20electric%20dirt%20bike%20motard/

A couple popped up here:

http://toledo.craigslist.org/bik/1801369929.html

Wish I could take advantage of them, but unless someone close by will help with shipping, they are too far away. Anyone want one?

Thanks;
Gordo

Well I thought I was done with this project but this hobby is addicting plus I know the unite motor is bound to die. I have been running 44v of lipo turnigy packs & now I smell the burnt motor alot more. So now I bought a crystalyte 5303, 2 more lipos & a lyen controller. I cant wait to get it set up :D :D . Now I will have pedals again. This will be my first hub motor & dont know what to expect. I know the 5303 is a tank & hope to be able to get it mounted good w/o breaking a swing arm.

If anyone has any input please chime in

I will be dialing in the suspension f & b but dont have any direction yet

Duffman

duffmanaudio said:
Well I thought I was done with this project but this hobby is addicting plus I know the unite motor is bound to die. I have been running 44v of lipo turnigy packs & now I smell the burnt motor alot more. So now I bought a crystalyte 5303, 2 more lipos & a lyen controller. I cant wait to get it set up :D :D . Now I will have pedals again. This will be my first hub motor & dont know what to expect. I know the 5303 is a tank & hope to be able to get it mounted good w/o breaking a swing arm.

If anyone has any input please chime in

Duffman, you may find my current project interesting:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23467
It starts out with the same Mongoose that you have.

Tho

Is there someone on the forums who modifies swing arms? I put a magnet to the swing arm and it was very magnetized to it. Does that rule out aluminum? I'm just mocking up what I started a couple years ago. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the components.

image-2.jpg
[/URL]

I have a CX also and can tell you the swing arm is steel.

What modifications are you thinking of?

I may just make some dropout brackets myself then bolt and epoxy them to the swing arm . I just made a better template and I'm going to order some 6061 1/4" today. Once the swing arm is done I can make a motor bracket, paint everything and put it together. I'm planning on mounting the motor high so it will clear the cranks, sprocket and chain. I will be running this motor http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_56&product_id=512 with a Kelly kds72100e controller and 15s 10ah of lipo batteries. I know I'm over powering the piss out of this motor but I ran this setup on my currie tech scooter all last year and have not blow a motor yet I've ran it at 20s for long periods . I am using stuff I already have laying aroun.

I'm working on the same thing, I'll let you know I'm going to work with a machine shop / cnc and see if they can modify or make me a extended swingarm. I would love to put a Pirelli ML75 2.75x16 tire but I'm running into clearance issues.

A couple days after I posted last I was out riding the bike with my Hobby King L IPO pack and next thing you know smoke and fire came out of the battery compartment the bike is now burnt to a crisp and totally useless the damn fire department had to come and put it out. This is a year after I had a major accident on my currie tech scooter. In the accident I damage my left inner ear and had to get surgery to repair it broken ribs broken collarbone and a major concussion .someone up there is telling me to find a new hobby so I'm listening.this is my last build I'm just going to focus my energy and time on my home.

Back