X-Treme Electric Scooter conversion to stand-up

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
kfong
10 MW
10 MW

X-Treme Electric Scooter conversion to stand-up

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am

Yet another EV project! This one was given to me by a friend. It's was discarded X-Treme X-360 Electric Scooter. It must even be older, since the motor on it was rated at 250W. I had no use for it and would not have ridden it even if it was fixed up. It occurred to me to convert it into a standup scooter. This would bring back the fun factor and make it more portable as well. The hack went very smooth, but took a while to cut off the seat post and motor mount. If I were to do it again, I would have left more of the side support as an anchor for the wood deck I plan on building for it. As you can see I gutted the scooter and removed all of it’s plastic shrouds.
Attachments
scooter bare.jpg
(100.5 KiB) Downloaded 1569 times
Last edited by kfong on Aug 14, 2009 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Re: X-Treme Electric Scooter hack

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:17 am

Here is a picture of the removed seat post. I had to use a dremel to cut it off. Be sure to use protective glasses since the cutoff wheels can shatter.
Attachments
removed seat post.jpg
(106.14 KiB) Downloaded 1564 times

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:20 am

I remounted the motor to the bottom of the tray. I wanted it even lower, until I realize the front section of the scooter is actually quite a bit higher than the back. I will be mounting the wood deck at a fairly steep angle so it will actually be above the motor.
Attachments
motor remounted.jpg
(85.64 KiB) Downloaded 1549 times

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:22 am

Here is a side view of the modified scooter. I was quite happy to discover the chain cleared the support. I’m using a new chain since it’s now a little bit farther from the wheel. I removed all wiring as well from the original scooter.
Attachments
side view.jpg
(93.12 KiB) Downloaded 1546 times

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Here is a picture of the motor now mounted to the bottom of the battery tray.
Attachments
motor top view.jpg
(95.54 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 9:33 am

I will be using 2 Dewalt batteries; it’s a very tight fit. I actually had to file off the front section of the weld to allow the batteries to fit. I will be using my Dewalt interface to keep the batteries protected and wiring simple.
Attachments
battery setup.jpg
(93.53 KiB) Downloaded 1530 times

Lock
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Lock » Aug 06, 2009 10:45 am

kfong wrote:I will be mounting the wood deck at a fairly steep angle so it will actually be above the motor.
The back wheel throws a spray of water up yer back from wet pavements... So factor in extending yer deck out over the wheel or instead adding a plastic etc "mud flap" to extend back over the wheel.
Cheers
Lock
If you like this message feel free to donate BeerCoins (BTC) to:
1LxAXWmbjY6SeMf8r9HHhSKt6pWyPvWg6L

Toronto Electric Riders Association:
http://www.ebikeriders.com/
Canada, eh?

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Re: X-Treme Electric Scooter hack to stand-up

Post by kfong » Aug 06, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks, I was going to do something similar, my Outback mountain board uses a friction brake. I was planning to do the same with this setup. It would be a secondary brake incase I really need to stop. In anycase, I plan to have the deck wide and as long as possible.

vanilla ice
1 GW
1 GW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 06, 2009 12:13 pm

I was thinking the opposite hack, welding in a motorcycle type top section to the frame.. for bigger bat/motor room, oh and foot pegs. Still not decided though, maybe I'll try what you did instead. I agree that as is, they are kind of boring
Attachments
54v.jpg
54v.jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 1529 times

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Here is some more progress. I had to CNC part of the deck. I plan to use a friction pad on the rear wheel for added braking. I still have to mount the deck to the scooter. As you can see the deck sits fairly level due to the front wheel being higher. Picked up a seat post clamp for the steering arm. I might end up getting a higher steering arm since I will be standing. Will see how this works out first.
Attachments
CNC deck.jpg
(71.59 KiB) Downloaded 1369 times
Deck placement.jpg
(79.97 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times
closeup.jpg
(79.36 KiB) Downloaded 1370 times

vanilla ice
1 GW
1 GW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Cool. Wood looks good!

Lock
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Lock » Aug 11, 2009 7:04 pm

I might end up getting a higher steering arm since I will be standing. Will see how this works out first.
I definitely think you need to have the handle height high enough that all your weight is resting on your feet, rather than you naturally leaning over the bar with some weight resting on your hands... to reduce the chance of flipping over fwd aka face plants at a fast stop. Seriously. My only experience w/standup scoots is using the front (caliper) brakes. Never used the back brake. Always thought the front brake worked "great" although moving from caliper to disk might make for "too great" front braking... So far, in my experience, the stand up scoots have less tendancy than a seated pedal bike for the rider to flip over the front for any reason.
tks
loc

Canada, eh?

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Loc, this scooter only has a rear drum brake. Seems to work ok, but with the added friction pad I plan to put. I'm hoping to at least lock up the rear tire if I want. Not too concerned about flipping forward since the brakes are on the back. I’ll know if I need to change out the steering once I use it, but for the amount of use it will get, I might leave it as is. Should be easy to replace if I really do put it to good use. I plan to get it running this weekend for the Dream Cruise we have here in Detroit. Lots of distance to cover, and I rather not walk.

vanilla ice
1 GW
1 GW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

I put a bicycle caliper brake on the front fork, but the scooter is so heavy it burns up the pads when used alone. Does help when used with the drum, I guess it'd work if you save it only for emergency stops. Wanted to try something without swapping to a di$c front end.

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Finally finished the deck mounts. Took it out this morning for a run, the handle bar is a little low but works. I will replace it if I see one, but won't go out of my way for it. It's a lot more fun standing on, but you are much higher than a regular push scooter so pushing it to help out isn't a good option, unless you have really long legs. I'm glad I made the deck 32inches. I should have added a couple more inches since my back foot likes to be behind the wheel. There is room, but a little more would be better. Nice wide stance feels really cool, much like a skateboard now. Already got into trouble with it, going too fast on the sidewalk and came upon a tall crack. I had to bail, didn’t trust the scooter to ride over it without an endo. Did a running jump, surprised I was still standing. It must have been the adrenalin pumping. Scooter was undamaged. The speed feels close to 20mph, will put a gps on it tonight. Used my tennis shoe directly on the rear wheel, it does stop it much like those bikers without brakes, but you need to be careful how you do it. It threw my foot the first time. I’m pretty happy with the conversion, a lot more fun than sitting down on. It would have been in the trash otherwise. I'll post final pictures later this week.

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 13, 2009 1:34 pm

I just got back from another ride. The deck is fine the way it is. Any more leverage in the back and the scooter wheelies. Have to be careful having your foot behind the wheel. I applied power and had my weight more on my back foot and was thrown off. I need to put back the break shut off. Didn’t think I needed it but when your running with the scooter, while the scooter is moving in a wheelie position. That’s when you realize; hey that break shut off can be a good thing. I'm using my BMS interface, without the inductor coil. Apparently these brushed scooter motors don't seem to effect the dewalt packs. Makes for a simple install.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 14&t=10986
Last edited by kfong on Oct 10, 2009 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Post by kfong » Aug 14, 2009 8:51 am

Here are the final pics of the scooter. I took a GPS reading of 18.9mph. Not as fast as I had hoped but good enough for what I plan to use it for. With 2 Dewalt packs at full throttle I was able to get 6.5 miles. This is as good as my bike, not too bad! Makes a portable transportation that I can use for events.
Attachments
top.jpg
(76.48 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
battery setup.jpg
(83.52 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
sideview batts.jpg
(85.37 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
profile.jpg
(126.74 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

Lock
10 GW
10 GW

Re: X-Treme Electric Scooter conversion to stand-up

Post by Lock » Aug 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Not electrified (yet)... but a story of one mans unnatural scooter love:

:mrgreen:

Canada, eh?

kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Re: X-Treme Electric Scooter conversion to stand-up

Post by kfong » Aug 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Wow, now that is a worthy scooter to electrify. I like the design, Looks like you could set it up for an RC motor. Either friction or sprocket. Put a custom set of A123 on the bottom and you have something very portable for travel. The scooter I built was fun, but it doesn't work very well for pushing. Needed for when the packs goes out on you and you have to cover distance. Tried to search ebay and craiglist for one. Maybe one will come up in the future. The magnesium deck would be a solid mount for the RC motor.