Tilting trike using the EnerTrac 602 wheel

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
markcycle
10 kW
10 kW

Tilting trike using the EnerTrac 602 wheel

Post by markcycle » May 07, 2010 11:35 am

Attachments
e-trike 004s.jpg
e-trike 004s.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 5894 times

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Re: Tilting trike using the EnerTrac 602 wheel

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello Marvin,
No the "trike" will not keep upright in it's current state when at rest. I have designed the trike to have the rear brakes activated by the left hand "hydraulic clutch" lever. This leaves me room to install a rear foot brake to engage a disc brake attached to the rear swing arm. This WILL lock the rear swing arms from moving. The design for the rear tilt lock is completed however I have decided to hold off on that fabrication until I have installed the batteries, controllers etc. The bike however has been through a series of "roll test". It appears to be very stable at slow speeds.

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm

The trike is now "under power"!!

For an update check out this link
http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=3367

AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Very Very nice fabrication buddy...One small very minor critique though, and its nothing to do with your build more the comment you have on EV Album... i.e "First known dual rear Hub motor, Leaning, Delta style Motorcycle. (Tricycle)." It isn't, as mentioned above Carvin Marvin beat you too it :wink: his is powered by two x5 hub motors in the rear wheels and is also a tilting delta setup ;-)

Would LOVE to see some video of the bike in action.

KiM

EDIT: damn beat me too it Marvin hahaha... i was busy looking at the pics on EValbum before posting LoL... it is definately a neat bike none the less thats for sure ...

p.s welcome to the forum too johnhead@frontiernet.net glad to have another fabricator on the boards :-)

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Welcome to the forum John. Amazing work. I think I spied pics of your machine with paint at a show. At the Enertrac tent? Pretty sure I followed a link or two from this site.
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 10s Lipo 30+ amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 15s x 50A 3300 W :)
http://s18.photobucket.com/user/rolinfu ... t=3&page=1

markcycle
10 kW
10 kW

Post by markcycle » Nov 25, 2010 12:14 am

video

I'm curious is there another licensed road legal with tags Electric tilting trike capable of highway speeds. If not then it's fair to say John's trike is the first registered with tags (plates) highway capable (will achieve 70 MPH) Electric tilting trike. If there is another then I'll stand corrected.

First or not, John did a brilliant job designing and building the trike

She's been a fun project mostly for John, he brought it over to EnerTrac and we did the final wiring of the controllers and motors and got to take test rides on a fun machine.

Mark

AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 25, 2010 3:48 am

markcycle wrote:
I'm curious is there another licensed road legal with tags Electric tilting trike capable of highway speeds. If not then it's fair to say John's trike is the first registered with tags (plates) highway capable (will achieve 70 MPH)
I agree...but that is clearly not what is said.

""First known dual rear Hub motor, Leaning, Delta style Motorcycle. (Tricycle)."

^^Exact wording copied from EValbum...the statement is completely false whichever way you want to spin it. It is a fantastic build as said before take nothing away from that, now the builder is aware others have come before him IMO the wording needs to be changed to reflect what you have just suggested markcycle, it doesn't make the trike any less of an achievement in any way :-)

Markcycle seeing your the designer of the motor maybe you can clear up what the cause is of the chattering at 1.32min mark of the video when the bike is starting off? Also...what is the turning circle of the bike, if the turns in the video are anything to go by it looks like pretty wide turning circle? and does it have reverse?

KiM

katou
10 kW
10 kW

Post by katou » Nov 25, 2010 9:26 am

I'd like to know how these tilting trikes feel/operate differently.

What benefits do they have over a regular bike? Can I go faster in turns? Can I turn sharper at lower speeds and feel more stable?

I'm looking for info from actual riders here, not theory.

I think it's great to see your hub motor being used this way Markcycle.

Katou

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Nov 25, 2010 9:45 am

No I'm not a rider but two advantages come to mind easily. Traction and no need to balance at or near a stop. The second may be very important for folks with weak/damaged legs.
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 10s Lipo 30+ amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 15s x 50A 3300 W :)
http://s18.photobucket.com/user/rolinfu ... t=3&page=1

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Nov 25, 2010 11:09 am

"First Known" has now been remove from the description in this site
http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=3367
Thank You for pointing this out.
The trike feels just like a standard 2 wheeler. The trike was designed to maintain a very low center of gravity. The availability of the hub motors for use in this design allowed more space in the "Body Cavity" for batteries, control hardware etc. This bike is also equipped with a foot operated lever that prevents the trike from tipping when at a stop. As with any prototype, improvements and redesign is ongoing. (It's now Winter in Western New York)
Mark has been INSTRUMENTAL in assisting me with this build. His Product and Customer SUPPORT is without a doubt the BEST I have ever had with any product.

drewjet
10 kW
10 kW

Post by drewjet » Nov 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Great build John. I don't care if you are first or not, I know making a tilter is not easy. Must be some awesome power with not 1, but 2 of Mark's motors.

Do you have any more closeups of the tilting mecanism, including the lockout? Do you have any video of really carving in the turns? The one pic showing you tilting it over gives an idea of how far over it goes, but I would love to see that much tilt in motion.

Do you have any acceleration numbers? 0-30? 0-60? etc

Thanks for sharing, and great build. I look forward to seeing where you will take this design.

markcycle
10 kW
10 kW

Post by markcycle » Nov 25, 2010 1:04 pm

AussieJester wrote:
markcycle wrote:
I'm curious is there another licensed road legal with tags Electric tilting trike capable of highway speeds. If not then it's fair to say John's trike is the first registered with tags (plates) highway capable (will achieve 70 MPH)
I agree...but that is clearly not what is said.

""First known dual rear Hub motor, Leaning, Delta style Motorcycle. (Tricycle)."

^^Exact wording copied from EValbum...the statement is completely false whichever way you want to spin it. It is a fantastic build as said before take nothing away from that, now the builder is aware others have come before him IMO the wording needs to be changed to reflect what you have just suggested markcycle, it doesn't make the trike any less of an achievement in any way :-)

Markcycle seeing your the designer of the motor maybe you can clear up what the cause is of the chattering at 1.32min mark of the video when the bike is starting off? Also...what is the turning circle of the bike, if the turns in the video are anything to go by it looks like pretty wide turning circle? and does it have reverse?

KiM
The so called chattering is motor cogging. For some reason the camera seems to make it seem worse than it is. I call it the grunt. Many folks like the sound as the bike isn't completely silent at takeoff, you don't feel it in the acceleration. Depending on the bike and fairing design the sound can be tuned as crazy as that is.

As far as the turning circle for me my arms aren't long enough to completely turn the fork to its stops I can't even get close, but it wasn't design for me.

Mark

sk8norcal
10 GW
10 GW

Post by sk8norcal » Nov 26, 2010 5:00 am

this might be twin hub motor also...

Yourim motors from Korea
http://tiltingvehicles.blogspot.com/201 ... otors.html

Last edited by sk8norcal on Nov 27, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sk8norcal
10 GW
10 GW

Post by sk8norcal » Nov 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Yolk? which part is that?

I recently got a chance to ride the Zuumer standup scooter.

it offers 'return to center' and a bit of rear steering.

I rode it parallel stance like a ski, nice carving sensation..

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Nov 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Design concepts that contributed to the Yolk design for my "Stealth-E 3" trike came from http://jetrike.com/
The yolk is NOT simply a straight bar that pivots in the middle. It is designed in such a way that makes the trike "self centering". Today we had 9" of fresh snow in western New York. The maximum lean angle that I feel can be achieved may have to wait for a few month's! During that time I will be fabricating a battery covering and completing the "lean lock" assembly.

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Nov 28, 2010 7:24 am

Hi John,
Great work! I can't wait to see more details once you get through winter. Since you set it up with self balancing, how much does the height of the COG increase with lean?

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Nov 29, 2010 10:04 am

I chose a "self balancing" geometry that was "minimalist" as I didn't want the trike to "not lean" as I was carving corners. I have not tried to tip it yet however I am pretty sure that It would "fall over" given enought leeway. By changing the geometry of the crossbar I can modify this if it is necessary. I haven't measured the amount of "rise" yet either. I do know that it handles and feels just like a std. motorcycle at speed and at the angles that I leaned it so far. I do expect to be more agressive with it next year as spring arrives to western NY.

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

I've completed the front and side covers.. Adding final graphics soon..
Attachments
right side view.JPG
right side view.JPG (60.07 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Left side view.JPG
Left side view.JPG (57.52 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
front view.JPG
front view.JPG (61.96 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Rear view.JPG
Rear view.JPG (56.09 KiB) Viewed 3997 times

Pure
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Pure » Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm

A lil late, but I wanted to congratulate John. That is one bad ass looking trike!
Mongoose DH
X5304
60V20Ah LiFePO4

I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you. So there!

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Jun 22, 2011 10:03 am

A new, short "teaser" video of the Stealth on a closed course road can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YRb4J-waM

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

Stealth trike dsa.jpg
Stealth with graphics applied

johnhead@frontiernet.net
10 W
10 W

Post by johnhead@frontiernet.net » Jul 04, 2011 4:14 am

For a short "PHOTO ESSAY" of how I built the Stealth E-3 follow this link. Approx. two years from start to finish.
Regards
John Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeXv4q7 ... ture=share