electric trial bike

:D this is more like it... Just think if it was halve the weight ( which would be possible ) . Looks more than capable for entry level trials.

gwhy! said:
:D this is more like it... Just think if it was halve the weight ( which would be possible ) . Looks more than capable for entry level trials.

Thought of you soon as i saw it this morning GWhy! LoL :wink:

KiM

Thats a great torquy motor there... I hope my EV gets about as good at this when its done!!

This is more video of the gasgas converstion.
[youtube]ES2m77qNOcE[/youtube]

Still look underpowered to me :(

its a beautifully shot video with one of the best riders in the world, trials riders are already so blinkered about what electric bikes can do and this video just confirms those beliefs, where are all the big rocky climbs or all the trick riding that this guy is more than capable of. Its more than obvious that this bike is underpowered because normally this guy is a showman. This video will not get existing trials riders of there gas powered trials bikes but it may inspire new riders to the sport, but new riders will not even know who raga is.

gwhy! said:
its a beautifully shot video with one of the best riders in the world, trials riders are already so blinkered about what electric bikes can do and this video just confirms those beliefs, where are all the big rocky climbs or all the trick riding that this guy is more than capable of. Its more than obvious that this bike is underpowered because normally this guy is a showman. This video will not get existing trials riders of there gas powered trials bikes but it may inspire new riders to the sport, but new riders will not even know who raga is.

I know all about trials riding from my motorbike days, although I wasn't a trials rider myself. However, I think the Raga silent video is nothing to bitch about. It makes me more interested in off road ebikes as I already moved away from the noise and destruction of motorbikes. I've gotten tired of full throttle and noise in nature as I've gotten older. Remember that its Silent Valley, not Giant Drop Valley with the near obligatory jacked up sound track typical of most extreme sports videos. Raga's ebike video is more about being in and enjoying nature than just hucking a bunch of tricks. I don't watch many motorbike videos anymore, but I watch a lot of skiing and mtn biking videos and a little variety and a few contemplative Zen moments are a nice addition now and then.

I just think if you are putting one of the best riders in the world onto a electric trials bike then " trials riders will watch it ", just because its raga, dont get me wrong I think it is a good thing what they were trying to achieve with this vid and the whole slant on silence , but I know to many trials riders that will be put off of electric because of this video.

For the OP video, that seems like a really nice paint job for a trials bike. Seems like that would get beat up pretty quick doing trials with it.

As for the Denali bike, why wouldn't someone use trials spec equipment if they were trying to build a trials spec bike? I'm sure the trials brakes and suspension can't be that heavy, the gas trials bikes are pretty light.

Jay64 said:
For the OP video, that seems like a really nice paint job for a trials bike. Seems like that would get beat up pretty quick doing trials with it.

Yes it would if someone like me was riding it :mrgreen:

As for the Denali bike, why wouldn't someone use trials spec equipment if they were trying to build a trials spec bike? I'm sure the trials brakes and suspension can't be that heavy, the gas trials bikes are pretty light.

If a bike can be made lighter then it will have the edge. The Denali in the above vid uses sla's ( its a very old vid ) so I expect even as that stands its about the same weight as a gas bike. The E-Montesa pictured above weighs 51kg and the gas version would be around 75kg.

gwhy! said:
If a bike can be made lighter then it will have the edge. The Denali in the above vid uses sla's ( its a very old vid ) so I expect even as that stands its about the same weight as a gas bike. The E-Montesa pictured above weighs 51kg and the gas version would be around 75kg.

Yes, but is it worth it to make it lighter in an area that has more importance, such as brakes? The reason that I ask is that the rider mentions that the brakes and suspension aren't as good as a gas bike, inferring that it wasn't able to do as much stuff because of this lack in performance. I understand budget and stuff, but it seems like if they were so concerned with weight, they shouldn't have gone SLAs, and went with the real brakes and suspension. I'm not putting down the build at all, I was just curious as to the strategy.

I totally agree, I have (I'm) played around with a gas version minus the engine and using a very light battery/motor setup and with a 3kw motor it works about the same as the denali (performance wise, in the vid), I think the denali was using a 1kw motor so if that bike used motorcycle brakes and front forks/rear shock and frame then there is no way it would perform as well as it did with the extra 20kg, if they used lighter battery's that would make a big difference to the way the suspension works and also the brakes but light battery tech might not have been available when this bike was originally put together.

9b721fb82b.jpg

be10bb7cb6.jpg

8c8aa08a6a.jpg

Now these are beginning to look the bushiness :mrgreen:

http://www.trial-club.com/webzine-trial/edito/2011/saga-de-la-57-episode-5/

Back