Garelli moped project

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
sk8norcal
10 GW
10 GW

Re: Garelli moped project

Post by sk8norcal » Dec 08, 2011 12:43 pm

looks great,
that k10 fork really makes it look cool..

Haste
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Haste » Dec 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Any updates?
1997 Marin Hill Hawk. Bafang BPM 2 10T. KU123 30 amp controller. 12s LiPo.=32mph

deVries
1 MW
1 MW

Post by deVries » Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am

EVTodd wrote:@ John, It is indeed an NOI motor. I actually have a Polini kit that came with the bike sitting here. It's a direct bold on (cylinder, piston, ring, and seals) and you don't have to modify anything to use it. If you want crazy power you can use a larger intake, carb, expansion chamber, etc...

I'm still not sure what the plan is yet though.
Hey Todd, nice new project. 8)

With the kit added how fast will it go for cruising 5-30 miles at a time? Do "Moped Laws" (inspection/insurance) allow you to get away with these add-on kits to still pass inspection each year? In Texas it has to be a 50cc limit, but I guess these aftermarket kits let you go "higher" or what :?: Wonder if there is an insurance/inspection issue afterwards?

I know JRH was building his hybrid to assist the gas for off the line acceleration & hills... at least the electric is well suited for torque & acceleration phase & then shift to the efficiency of gas at the higher speed??? :idea: Any new ideas for this as an electric hybrid? FD the front wheel or MAC torque it? :mrgreen:

Haste
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Haste » Dec 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Ive wanted to pick up an old moped and pull all the ICE crap off. Throw a 9X7 rear DD, and run 24s of lipo in a custom batt box located where the motor used to be. Would be awesome, and use regen as rear brakes.
1997 Marin Hill Hawk. Bafang BPM 2 10T. KU123 30 amp controller. 12s LiPo.=32mph

Scoot440
100 W
100 W

Post by Scoot440 » Dec 29, 2011 9:31 am

Lots of moped projects and components to found here:
http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/list.php?2
Scoot440
Lubbock,TX

EVTodd
100 kW
100 kW

Post by EVTodd » Dec 31, 2011 9:54 pm

deVries wrote: With the kit added how fast will it go for cruising 5-30 miles at a time? Do "Moped Laws" (inspection/insurance) allow you to get away with these add-on kits to still pass inspection each year? In Texas it has to be a 50cc limit, but I guess these aftermarket kits let you go "higher" or what :?: Wonder if there is an insurance/inspection issue afterwards?

I know JRH was building his hybrid to assist the gas for off the line acceleration & hills... at least the electric is well suited for torque & acceleration phase & then shift to the efficiency of gas at the higher speed??? :idea: Any new ideas for this as an electric hybrid? FD the front wheel or MAC torque it? :mrgreen:
Good question about the moped laws, etc... I still haven't decided where I'm going with this project anyway since I've been working on a car project lately. But... If I decide to go with a larger displacement engine I'm planning on simply registering it as a motorcycle. We don't have inspections here but I would rather be legal than deal with any issues later. I'll have to talk to my insurance company if and when I do that since I have no idea how it would work.

If I go full electric I'll probably have to jump through some hoops too but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

As for how fast it will go. It depends on if you do any porting to the engine, the size of the carb, the pipe, etc... I know some people on Moped Army have top speeds of 45-50+ mph. I personally don't care much about top speed but I want it to be able to haul my butt up some of the big hills around here. Well, I hope it can do it as well as my friction drive at least. lol

johnrobholmes
10 GW
10 GW

Post by johnrobholmes » Jan 02, 2012 10:08 am

Fastest 50cc moped in my area is 48mph. Fastest kitted bike is well over 60.