E-Scooter project build. 50 kw peak (video online page 4)

steam25

100 W
ok probably not 50kw but i try! :mrgreen:

hello crew,

i will start to build my first elektric scooter tomorrow and like to let you guys be part of this story.

some ideas in my mind...
- Brushless hub motor 72V
- Kelly controller 550A peak
- custom fan cooled 21s BMS 600A peak, 3x cellog extern monitoring, 250A charging option (if i find a source can handle that :mrgreen: )
- self build charger 88V / 50-60A (i think its a good compromise to charge fast enough but dont abuse the cells too much)
- custom lipo pack 88,2V fully charged with 70Ah or maybe 105Ah

status until now: FINISHED
frame without motor, controller and battery is on the way to me and should arrive tomorrow.

parts ordered and shipped soon:
motor
controller
battery
300mm brakes
suspension
white LED gauges für controller, battery and motor temperature

if you guys interested i will keep posting the full build here with photos and some videos of my progress

UPDATE: scooter is done and used over 15000km. running perfect and it kicks asses!

Attachments

• IMG_2335-Optimized-1.JPG
    IMG_2335-Optimized-1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 5,764
good. then i keep posting updates.

yesterday some small parts arrived:
LED turning lights because the stock lights look like 2 big old 100W lightbulbs from 1950s.. :roll:
17704085dd.jpg

temperature gauges for controller and battery pack (they also can measure voltage)
17704086wu.jpg

the temp gauges i want to place somewhere in the cockpit

for now it is still analog
17704078pm.jpg

but digital version is on the way

17704082ot.jpg

what i get is that frame with some bodyparts. white and clean.
17704079ie.jpg

17704081bn.jpg

17704084hc.jpg

like i said before i will change front and rear brakes. i think i will go with ADELIN + most largest 300mm discs
17704087gl.jpg

rear suspension will changed to air/oil shocks. put 150 psi air inside we can adjust stiffness.
17704088og.jpg

front fork i also want change to something longer and better than stock.
but no photos here yet... still searching. if somebody have a good advice feel free to tell me! :idea:

the battery:
i will use 35Ah NEC pouch cells.
the pack will have 21s/2p

17704083op.jpg

factory already start to work on the custom BMS. cellpacks will look like that later.

17704077in.jpg

for the power supply of all 12V parts i bought this little bigger version wit 13V and 20A
17704110oq.jpg

stock is 12V and 5A which seems WAY too small.

front light will be this light bar with 8x 10W cree LEDs and around 7000 lumen.
17704124tk.jpg

i already test it on my ebike and its soooo overkill :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
17704125vp.jpg

here some photos of the bike with that light attached...

17704126wj.jpg

17704140yz.jpg

17704139ae.jpg

17704141ac.jpg

oh and my helmet arrived today too!
17704153pg.jpg

:mrgreen:

any ideas or suggestions?

niiiiiiiiiice work 8)

What controller are you going to get?
EDIT: Just saw it says Kelly

Guessing by the boxes in the background you are located in the mainland :p

hell year i am in wonderland here! living in shenzhen china.
but the photos with boxes in background are not from me. just use what the factory gave me. :mrgreen:
battery factories and hub motors everywhere. just walk out my door and visit all company. later i will test these parts and make a request to these companies for you guys. i specially want to have a close eye on the NEC battery cells.
the bike will arrive in 2 hours and i will make some photos.

Cheers°

THE ARRIVAL :shock:

17704988sp.jpg

17704987yk.jpg

17704990ws.jpg

17704989zz.jpg

already start taking it apart. battery box seems pretty big. we will see wether i can fit that 70Ah battery inside.
now all the fun can start :mrgreen:

Do you have a weight for the crate you got? I'm curious about the scooter weight without the battery or motor wheel. You'll want to include a 3rd temp gauge, the most important one if you're running high power into a hubbie. That's motor temp.

It sounds like you have distribution plans if things work out well, so I'd suggest toning it down on the numbers until you have some. Kelly controllers are rated in terms of phase current, which never peaks at full duty cycle due to current limiting, so that times voltage isn't your Kw's. You need battery current, and you also need the voltage under load. That still only power input, not power out like motors are rated, but at least get a real number.

Send extra on the controller, because the hubbies capable of handling the highest currents generally have very low inductance, and which tends to pop controllers like popcorn.

It sounds like you've got a pretty extreme BMS. Out of curiosity, why does the primary current flow through the BMS? That makes them far more expensive than necessary, and puts it under such stress that it's temperature needs to be monitored. A BMS needs only to monitor voltage of each series group and trigger actions for the controller based on the cell level info. I see no need to pass main current through it. Sure it's done that way for low power ebike BMS's, but that's easy and the currents are low enough for cheap parts. At the power level you're talking about, the BMS actually adds stress to the system due to the added resistance and inductance between the battery and the controller.

Even though I believe you're unrealistic with the 50Kw, I hope you end up getting there, which will really prove out your battery and motor choices. Any ideas yet on which way you're going to go regarding a motor. I'm green with envy about you being right there where the action is, and if I was 20 years younger I'd already be there with you.

John

high john,
thanks for all these helpful infos!
yeah... i know i wont get 50kW on the wheel but it would be great if we are getting in that direction.

the point with BMS is true. now when i think about it i will send the message to my battery supplier and stop him from building that BMS because its really expensive. if i already monitor every cell i can set alarm and just stop before the pack is fully discharged. :idea:

weight of the scooter empty now should be around 50-60kg. i will check it later with my weight.
battery with 70Ah is 36kg.
hub motor not sure but around 16kg.
then we have the controller and some other electric features i want to build in later. but also change parts like suspension and brakes to higher quality and lighter...difficult to guess yet.
now i am still figuring out where this adventure take me. i start to build it. use a 120-200A controller first for tests and see how everything work together before i add some more serious power.

thirt temp sensor. in the motor we have already build in sensor but i still try to find out what display i can use to get temperatur out to my handle bar. the kelly already use it to reduce power but i still love to see some numbers on my handle bar too. maybe you guys have any idea to make it possible?

after all this is a fun project and can never compare to some real awesome builds i see here before.
i pay my respect to all of you guys building motorbikes or bikes from scratch!
but i still think it is maybe interesting for some of you so i want post everything about this build 8)

EDIT: it may look so steep because there is no rear wheel on now? actually i think its not so aerodynamic :mrgreen:
but it looks really beautiful! i love it.
@john: motor will be quanshun 72V 8000W 100-130km/h stator. (lower torque/higher RPM)

every helpful advice is welcome!
thanks again john

yesterday i took everything apart until late night. battery box seems really much bigger than i expect before. now figuring out wether i can change the 70Ah 21s2p pack to 21s3p and get 105Ah for some nice range.

stay tuned! :mrgreen:

I didn't mean no BMS, but it's relatively simple to use a low current BMS. Then have it cut off the controller when a cell hits the single cell LVC instead of cutting mains power to the controller.

If you have a 10k thermistor installed as your temperature sensor, which is simple to do after the fact as long as the factory wires the motor for a sensor, then you can use some nice features of the Cycle Analyst 3. You'll have a temp display on the CA3 itself, and do cool things like dial power back when the motor temp reaches a certain threshold, and cut power completely if the temp continues to rise to the cutoff threshold.

For sensor installation I suggest not following the ES crowd who mistakenly try to stuff their temperature sensors in the copper. That results in false overheating notifications, because copper temps are much more volatile than stator temps, but a short spike doesn't mean the motor is overheating, because the stator steel could be relatively cool and quickly sink away heat from the copper. Sensors on the stator steel 5-10mm away from the copper is pretty standard for how the motor factors install their thermal sensors.

no idea. now i have stock 220mm discs. next bigger step would be 260mm discs.
the version from ADELIN i will buy comes with 300mm discs.
and if i read comment in the shops people say its similar to brembo. should be ok for that scooter. i pay attention to safety even i dont go on racetracks with this toy. i know some people here might think its too much and i agree if the scooter is stock with 1000-1500W 45km/h motor and 60V 25Ah battery.
but if i throw in a huge and heavy 105Ah pack inside and go over 100km/h i should get some better brakes. hey and they look pretty cool :mrgreen:

today i made some progress. the factory messed up all wirings. turn on the light and horn goes off. turn on turning light and high beam went on ect. :evil:
i ripped everything apart and made a complete new harness.
also soldered some connectors and hooked up the 30A 12V DC converter and changed rear turning lights to LED.
tomorrow i start posting more photos.

talked with factory as well. battery will be done in 3 days.
i followed the suggestion from john and changed the BMS to complete different one which needs about 8 days to finish.
it can be hooked up to computer and read out the status of battery pack. also can adjust some parameters. i will figure that out later and also post photos.
that BMS also can give out a simple signal to my controller or cycle analyst i already have and cut or reduce throttle. :idea:

about temperature sensor: its already inside the motor and should properly installed. now i just want find a small display to connect it because my test controller dont have a throttle cut for temp sensors.
KTY83-122 R25℃=1010Ω ±1% and min/max is 500 Ω - 2500 Ω.
really cool would be a display where i can set alarm level.

to overbridge the waiting time until motor and battery are finished i have time to focus on small things.

so today i took the speedometer apart and change it to LED light DIY style
of course it would be much more easy just to take the original light bulbs out and replace them with LED lightbulbs but they are dark and cant throw the light in every corner of the speedo.
so i use some new blue micro LED stripe inside which is rediculous bright. i am impressed how good it looks against before. 8) :shock:

17722126me.jpg

17722127od.jpg

17722125db.jpg

17722132nj.jpg

rest of the morning i spend to set the new harness in place and put on the front again. now everything works properly! turning switch is working again. headlights are not going nuts if i flip random switches and the key can actually turn on the bike now.

17722131ey.jpg

17722129xr.jpg

17722128ys.jpg

the new rear turning lights in white also looking awesome and fit perfectly to the white scooter.
17722134ht.jpg

next step will be to change the H1 50W headlights to fan cooled LED versions with only 15W of power but much brighter than the stock H1.
i also order all other lights from the scooter as most powerful LED version. front turning lights in yellow.
2 step red brake LED bulb ect. :idea:
17722130ox.jpg

directly from the chinese factory around here.
they are waterproofed and really good.
terrible bright. mine is 7500lumen and far more bright as normal car lights with high beams on.
you can choose from flood to beam. or mix them like you prefer.
running from 9-30 volts and drain only 1,9A out my bike battery.

from 2 up to 40 crees in row or double row.
start at 10$ each. mine with 80W cree cost around 45 $ ?

that's excellent. I was thinking of getting these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-lumen-5-Modes-Dual-Head-Bicycle-light-Headlamp-With-2-Cree-XM-L-U2-LEDs-EA-/350918470286?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item51b45eea8e

XM-L U2 are the latest led light for sale.

But maybe I can get one of your from china? How can I buy that?

i often send LED lights and other cool stuff to play to friends.
lights you see in ebay never have 2000 lumen. i would go for 1000-1200 max because small reflectors. these are pretty bad fakes too. i have original here in my room and use them on my bikes. dual and TRI configuration with battery indicator. if you want light for your ebike you can get one. if you want something for a FAST bike. lets say 50km/h+ they are not good enough.
where you wanna strap these on? i can give you good suggestions about LED lights because its part of my job to test newest generation of LEDs. 8)
maybe you can send me PN. i try help you.

btw:
BACK TO TOPIC
i took my rear light apart and solder some red color LED stripes inside the empty silver part. now i am getting some nice wide red lines beside the main brake light.

17724557my.jpg

17724556xk.jpg

17724560ys.jpg

17724558ni.jpg

17724559so.jpg

i took off the stock DC 12V converter...

17724630kv.jpg

and replace it with this 30A and 13,8V version :twisted:

17724631ri.jpg

here is the design of the battery i am building.
21s 2p 35Ah NEC pouch lipos (together 88,2V fully charged and 70Ah capacity) with 60A BMS for charging. discharge directly from pack.
3 external plugs to hook up 3 CELLOGs.
17724632ht.jpg

Temperature gauges cant fit in cockpit because i want my volt display or cycle analyst at this place.
i found that the old gasoline refill cap is a perfect spot to install both temp displays.
then i also dont need to enlarge the wires cause they are little short. now they can fit in my battery and BMS or CONTROLLER.

what should i monitor? BMS or Controller??? please help me out guys

17728007ru.jpg

17728008za.jpg

17728009uv.jpg

steam25 said:
Now they can fit in my battery and BMS or CONTROLLER.
what should i monitor? BMS or Controller??? please help me out guys

Hello, I would go to monitor the controller or the motor temp. Do you think it will be readable with day light or sun ?

hi,
thanks for suggestions. i will go and try it.
interesting question wether i can see the displays in the sun later. we will find out when i hit the road first time and i will let you know.

the 2 temp sensors are for battery and controller. the motor already have a temp sensor build in and i am trying to find a display to fit it.

the waterproofing i will try too.

today i made big progress. but also some bad luck and fire up my cockpit instrument.
because some stupid chinese factory worker leave some wires open and when i hook up my 40V power test AC it went directly into the cockpit when i turn on the key. big smoke cloud followed and all lights+ new LEDs are broken.
i used that to change everything to white LEDs.

17741989ww.jpg

looking pretty cool and i like it better than the blue ones. and much more bright too! 8)

then i go shopping for tools today and got everything i didnt have before. for example some metal drills, bolts, screws and stuff. finally i could drill some holes and set the 13,8V 30A DC DC converter.
also continue and finally finished repair the messed up harness. soldered alot 12V connectors on so i can plug an play as much LED stuff later as i like. all these plugs are radio remote controlled with a small remote i put on my handlebar later.
17741986ev.jpg

17741985yw.jpg

17741987rv.jpg

17741988ag.jpg

also set some white LEDs under sthe scooter.
photos will follow later.
ideas or suggestions are welcome

Back