Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Dec 30 2014 8:58am

I would you to introduce my project :
Integrate an electric motor into a gear box.

Specifications :
The motor is an Alien Power System 12090 Outrunner brushless motor 130KV 15 000 W
The EV : Alien 7Kw 48-60V EV controller-CA direct plug
DSC_1115.JPG
The motor come into the gear box. The motor drives the clutch and the gearbox. I keep the 5-speed for greater speed range.
DSC_1110.JPG
DSC_1108.JPG
The motor attached to the support.
DSC_1134.JPG
DSC_1137.JPG
Realization of a box for batteries :
6 x ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 5S1P 30C
DSC_0666.JPG
DSC_0666.JPG (211.08 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
The bike is charging after a ride in the snow =)
DSC_1225.JPG
A video is coming...................

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Dec 30 2014 2:42pm

The sound of the motor in neutral position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgnZjq ... e=youtu.be

User avatar
Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10541
Joined: May 29 2010 1:49am
Location: Coordinates: 33°52′48″N 117°55′43″W

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 31 2014 1:16am

I'm dying to hear you say that motor holds up under serious dirtbiking.

Did you hollow out the original engine or is that a new housing?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

User avatar
gogo   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2482
Joined: Mar 17 2008 2:20pm
Location: Iowa USA

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by gogo » Dec 31 2014 10:42am

Does that motor have sufficient back iron to prevent eddy currents from heating the aluminum engine case surrounding it?

[EDIT] I seem to recall someone having problems with the heating of surrounding stationary metal in a similar setup and mentioning that those type of motors are usually mounted in the air without anything near them, so the motor designers don't need to spec to prevent flux leakage.
Subject: Electric Surf Board
blisspacket wrote:I had a bright U of Fl student point out to me that surrounding an outrunner motor with aluminum is a no-no. I don't know if yours might be set up that way. There are magnetic influences within the outrunner which get messed up when contained within aluminum. The practical test to illustrate this: drop a neodymium magnet through an aluminum tube. You'll observe that there seems to be less gravity within the tube, and the magnet drops markedly slower than just letting it go in free air. :?:
Also: Subject: Newbie from Norway building JR e-trials bike.
Last edited by gogo on Jan 01 2015 10:39am, edited 2 times in total.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Jan 01 2015 7:07am

Dauntless wrote:I'm dying to hear you say that motor holds up under serious dirtbiking.

Did you hollow out the original engine or is that a new housing?

The base engine is from a 450 CRF 2003.
The left housing was milled in order to integrate the electric motor.

Below the housing concerned:
IMG-20130321-01080.jpg
IMG-20130321-01080.jpg (233.82 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
IMG-20130321-01079.jpg
IMG-20130321-01079.jpg (232.19 KiB) Viewed 4998 times

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Jan 03 2015 10:08am

gogo wrote:Does that motor have sufficient back iron to prevent eddy currents from heating the aluminum engine case surrounding it?

[EDIT] I seem to recall someone having problems with the heating of surrounding stationary metal in a similar setup and mentioning that those type of motors are usually mounted in the air without anything near them, so the motor designers don't need to spec to prevent flux leakage.
Subject: Electric Surf Board
blisspacket wrote:I had a bright U of Fl student point out to me that surrounding an outrunner motor with aluminum is a no-no. I don't know if yours might be set up that way. There are magnetic influences within the outrunner which get messed up when contained within aluminum. The practical test to illustrate this: drop a neodymium magnet through an aluminum tube. You'll observe that there seems to be less gravity within the tube, and the magnet drops markedly slower than just letting it go in free air. :?:
Also: Subject: Newbie from Norway building JR e-trials bike.

I had not thought of this.
But how to do the difference between normal heat of the electric motor (about 10% ) and heat due from eddy current?

What I see:

When I ride a long time, the engine mount (part milled) is about 50 to 60 °C but the gear box is not hot.

This is an interesting observation.

User avatar
gogo   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2482
Joined: Mar 17 2008 2:20pm
Location: Iowa USA

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by gogo » Jan 03 2015 10:14am

Someone suggested running the motor without load while its installed, and then 'open -air', and measure the current difference. While you have the motor 'open-air' you can hang a paperclip on a string and hold it close to see if there's 'some or none' flux present.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

User avatar
querlenker   1 W

1 W
Posts: 62
Joined: Jan 01 2013 3:21pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by querlenker » Apr 13 2015 2:48am

Any news about this nice project?

Kin   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 864
Joined: Mar 05 2011 6:16pm
Location: NC or MA, U.S

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Kin » Apr 14 2015 2:22pm

gogo wrote:Someone suggested running the motor without load while its installed, and then 'open -air', and measure the current difference. While you have the motor 'open-air' you can hang a paperclip on a string and hold it close to see if there's 'some or none' flux present.

Might be easier to measure leakage by just measuring the open air vs. mounted current draw for a given speed. So long as you don't have differences in your open air mount and your mounted mount, then the current increase from mounted should be a consequence of the flux losses heating surrounding material.
New to endless-sphere? Notice a lot of signatures recommending Ebikes.ca? That's because it's the best place for a quality and manageable, (but still 'real'), first build. Justin is a solid supporter of electric bike development, and a good source of equipment.

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » May 10 2015 6:32am

querlenker wrote:Any news about this nice project?
P10200861.JPG
My Dirtbike in action :

Last edited by Dopplercana on May 11 2015 4:08pm, edited 5 times in total.

Animalector   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 937
Joined: Mar 17 2012 4:50pm
Location: Mareeba - Queensland

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Animalector » May 10 2015 6:54am

And... AWESOME!!!!!!

well done

User avatar
granolaboy   100 W

100 W
Posts: 274
Joined: Nov 09 2011 5:02pm
Location: Skidegate, BC, Canada

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by granolaboy » May 11 2015 1:30pm

man, that thing RIPS! Awesome is right!
2010 EVT 168 @ 69v

User avatar
livetek   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Feb 12 2015 10:09am
Location: France

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by livetek » May 21 2015 2:07pm

Awesome !! That's a monster !
Can you make more vids ? Thanks ! :)

User avatar
louis raaijmakers   100 W

100 W
Posts: 159
Joined: Oct 09 2013 3:22pm

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by louis raaijmakers » Jun 25 2015 8:56am

hi,
nice project you made here!
i am also planing of doing this but then with a streek kart and an brushed motor and a 48v 300a controller.
do you need al gears? and what do you recomend a gearbox from a 150cc moped? or do i need to look in 500cc gearboxes?

greetings louis

jase1979   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Dec 07 2014 1:45pm

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by jase1979 » Jul 06 2015 9:42am

What make / brand is the original bike? Great build.

User avatar
Ykick   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5558
Joined: Nov 26 2009 6:10pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Ykick » Jul 06 2015 11:48am

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing your good work.
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Jul 13 2015 6:48am

livetek wrote:Awesome !! That's a monster !
Can you make more vids ? Thanks ! :)

Thanks,
I'll try to make a new video this summer.
I saw that you live in France. Where exactly ?
I come from the 68 .

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Jul 13 2015 7:02am

louis raaijmakers wrote:hi,
nice project you made here!
i am also planing of doing this but then with a streek kart and an brushed motor and a 48v 300a controller.
do you need al gears? and what do you recomend a gearbox from a 150cc moped? or do i need to look in 500cc gearboxes?

greetings louis
Hi,
Yes I need all the gears, I hold the engine speed to have the nominal power.
It's hard to say without additional elements. What is the size of the engine?
I use a gearbox from a Honda 450 CRF.

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Jul 13 2015 7:18am

jase1979 wrote:What make / brand is the original bike? Great build.

The gearbox comes from a Honda 450 crf. The rest is an assembly of dirt bike parts.

User avatar
livetek   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Feb 12 2015 10:09am
Location: France

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by livetek » Jul 13 2015 7:20am

I've sent you a PM :wink:

jase1979   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Dec 07 2014 1:45pm

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by jase1979 » Jul 13 2015 8:48am

It's a small bike though. I don't know much about dirt bikes. Is its like a pit bike or a kids motorcross like a kx80? Cheers

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Nov 20 2015 4:43pm

jase1979 wrote:It's a small bike though. I don't know much about dirt bikes. Is its like a pit bike or a kids motorcross like a kx80? Cheers
Exactly it's like a Pit bike.
Below the site where I bought a few items:
http://www.newmotorz.com/dirt-bike-pit-bike.html

User avatar
Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10541
Joined: May 29 2010 1:49am
Location: Coordinates: 33°52′48″N 117°55′43″W

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dauntless » Nov 20 2015 7:56pm

How IS the motor doing? Anyone have a mileage to hope for it holding up?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Nov 21 2015 6:37am

Dauntless wrote:How IS the motor doing? Anyone have a mileage to hope for it holding up?
The motor works well, I use a ventilator to cooling, the temperature remains acceptable into the gearbox approx. 60 - 80 °C (it depends on the outside temperature).

I made twenty loads and for the moment no problem (no wear, no play).

hoping to have answered the questions...

Dopplercana   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 30 2014 7:43am

Re: Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

Post by Dopplercana » Nov 21 2015 6:41am

Some specifications that I had not communicated :

Weight : approx. 70 kg
Power peak : 15 kW (20 ch)
Couple motor : approx. 20 N.m / couple max (1th gear) : 320 N.m
V max : 75 km/h
Battery : 55.5 V / 16 A.h
Gearbox : 5 gears
Autonomy : 45 - 60 minutes
Charging time : 3 hours

Post Reply