Project Blue Smoke - Aprilia RS conversion

-UP-

100 mW
Project Blue Smoke
Aprilia RS 125 conversion

I'm working on the electric motorcycle conversion, that I've been dreaming for a long time. The donor bike is Aprilia RS 125. This build is a hobby for me and I'll take my time to enjoy it.

You can follow also on Youtube and DriveTribe.

Project videos:
Introduction
Android dash
LED Indicators
PWM lights
Signal over operating voltage
The Frame
First ride
Track test
Battery Management System
Time-lapse build

First track test done with Revolt RV-160Pro, Kelly KBL96351E and Turnigy Multistar batteries.

[youtube]CidSjzebotg[/youtube]

Some talk and comparison of LED indicators. I didn't have the original 21W/5W rear light to show on the video, but as seen LED's are way more efficient (0.76W/0.23W).

The next video will be about controlling the rear lights and indicators with quite unique system. At some point I'll also make a video of the headlight. If my vision works out, that's where the actual minimization of the 12V really comes from.

I have successfully controlled the 24V H3 bulb with 72V PWM. Video coming later. Schematic below.

PWM control of the headlights explained on the video:
[youtube]HaNHakc-RFo[/youtube]

You stated that you started the conversion but all i can see are some videos with leds and bulbs. No specs, motor, battery, controller planned on the install, photos of the actual bike and work on the bike.
BTW i like the bike farting blue smoke on the renderings :D

Yeah, I haven't yet found the motor&controller that would fit on the project and on my budjet. I was thinking about the Motenergy ME0913, but it's a bit heavy and I haven't find controller to fit the specs. I've been asking about a used LEM-200 motor on another forum, but I'm still waiting for more info about it.

Meanwhile I'm playing around with electronics on the bike. My goal is to basically rebuilt the whole 12V system of the bike. As said, this is a great hobby project to combine my interests in electronics and motorcycles.

I actually don't have a garage to work on the bike, which is currently located at my parents house 80 miles away. Once I got the motor and controller, I try to spend some weekends working on the bike. And this will be a long term project anyway.

All suggestions for the motor&controller combo are appreciated. I'm looking for European dealers.

Try revolt 120 or 120 pro and 36 fet or 24 fet greentime controller.

http://www.revolt.org.il/rv-120-with-hall-sensors/

http://www.revolt.org.il/rv-120-pro-with-hall-sensors/

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/24FET-IRFB4110-s-3000W-48-84V-80Amax-BLDC-motor-controller-EV-brushless-speed-controller-sensor-sensorless/313864_522263950.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/36FET-IRFB4410-s-3000-5000W-42-100V-100Amax-BLDC-motor-controller-EV-brushless-speed-controller/313864_522264306.html

Would it be possible to make a custom shaft to lock two Revolt motors together? Then add extra bearing next to the sprocket. Should this kind of setup be controlled with one or two controllers? If controlled with one, how should it be wired?

Edit: found the answer from another topic:
Jeremy Harris said:
Provided that both motors are mechanically kept in sync, with the rotors in identical positions relative to their stators, then yes, it will work. The problems are:

1. Getting the rotors aligned. This needs to be better than just doing it mechanically, as there's no assurance with a lot of motors that the stators are at the same angle relative to the mounting plate. One way to do it is to put DC at a limited current (may be a few amps) through the same winding on each stator, with the motors not mechanically connected. The rotors will lock at an angular position that is where you want to connect them together.

2. The other problem is that the motor apparent winding resistance will be halved, as far as the controller is concerned, so the controller will need to be able to deliver enough current. The good news is that the motor apparent inductance will double, giving the controller an easier time.

You only need Halls on one motor, as you've already worked out. I'm not sure whether a chain will be accurate enough to make the two motors run smoothly, unless it's pretty tight, when it might well have a high wear rate and be noisy. A toothed belt might be better, or better still try and mechanically lock the shafts together as one.

I contacted Revolt and they could make a custom shaft for two motors. Still I'm not sure how well this would work out.

I'm drifting back to Motenergy ME0913 with Kelly. ME1304 with Sevcon would be nice, too, but the programming of it seems too difficult.

Then there's the simple choice of brushed LEM-200..

I guess I'll think this a week or two and then order the motor and the controller.

The dual Revolt plan is now ditched and I have much better one. Revolt RV-160 Pro. I have to say that the customer support on Revolt is excellent!

Another thing that I just realized is that my Aprilia is registered on July 2003. On June 2003 there was a legislation implemented that requires EMC certificate for all the electronic components on the bike. I haven't contacted the inspection station yet, but this probably means that I must get an older frame. Luckily these old Aprilias aren't too expensive. I can still use the current bike to design the component mounts etc. and then take some spare parts for the other bike. I'll register the bike earliest next year, so this isn't a immediate issue.

I have the ME0913 motor and using the 150v Sabvoton controller with it. It is a very capable controller than the kellys and it is customizable like the sevcons but at half the price. Others might be able to chime in with better experience with sabvoton, but I feel that the ME0913 and Sabvoton go hand in hand.

Loved the videos! Here are the controller suggestions:

1. VEC500-72 72V, 150A, 500A phase current. Dimensions:200*190*58mm (3.2kg). Price USD598 http://goldenmotor.com/
VEC500.jpg

2. Sensitron SMCV6 is probably more expensive. It is FOC controller, but you have to increse the voltage in that case. http://www.directindustry.com/prod/sensitron-semiconductor/field-oriented-control-dc-motor-speed-controllers-11563-490824.html
field-oriented-control-dc-motor-speed-controller-11563-8220745.jpg

That Golden motor controller would have been interesting as well, but I decided to get Kelly.

I ordered the controller and I'm waiting for the production of the RV-160 to start. Meanwhile, one more electronics video:

[youtube]2coMqcTAHFM[/youtube]

KBL96351E

I'm not sure yet what battery I'll have so I decided it's better to get something 96V compatible, since the motor can handle that as well.

Still 1-2 weeks until I can order the Revolt. Meanwhile some video update, although I haven't work on this much on summer.
[youtube]j4sPljRwNMc[/youtube]

I got the Revolt RV-160Pro. Next step is to build the mount and try to get the wiring done.

Back