Working on a guys EMB Lectra 24...happy e story

Voltron

1 MW
Would love to hear anybody's EMB related stories, now that I met a gentleman who was staring at my hideously ugly frankenbike, who was trying to get his e motorcycle going again, who was trusting enough to have me come look at it despite the hack work on mine. Now e motorcycle covers a lot of mostly cheap, crappy ground, but this was surprisingly nice. EMB 24, variable reluctance motor, really beefy Sevcon-ish controller, swingarm mounted motor and chain to rear wheel.
He had the all too typical story if taking it to a place to try to find a hiccup in the power, then having them burn out traces on the board "testing"things...and charge him $600 to get it out back worse than it went in. I of course joked and said " l'll cut you a deal... I'll get it not running for only $150!" So after some chuckles, we go for a test ride around with me on my Frankenbike pacing him...it would run great, then cut out, then while rolling he would cycle his improvised power switch, and it would run again. Back at his place after a lap, we poke around figuring where everything runs to, when it hits me that the way it sprang back to full power made it seem like something was telling the motor to cut off that wasn't LVC. Unplug a variable switch that sure seems like it should tell it to start regen, and off we go for the first trouble free miles he's had on it for literally years.
His beaming e moto smile was quite a sight.... then off for more miles, like after a bad case of hiccups waiting for the next one that never comes....

Back