Zero S with Large Bike Sound

djgipp

1 µW
I picked up an awesome 2011 Zero S recently on Craigslist (Thanks Linas.) After scaring the sh*t out of a handful of bikers/joggers, I decided to rig up an app I also use on my Volt. (XLR8). It produces a nice idle sound, and also will throttle/shift/brake in response to the bike's acceleration. Zero really needs to just build this into their app. The speaker mounting is still a bit ghetto, although it's not going anywhere. I will probably print out a new housing that fits in the lower cooling cowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr6V6zxKReg

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mr6V6zxKReg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Scared bikers and joggers how exactly, and under what conditions and where?

FWIW, for at least some of us, one of the main attractions of the electric is the silence of the vehicle, so we can instead enjoy the world around us, instead of inflicting ourselves upon it. ;)

Amberwolf, I also love the feeling of silently flying through the turns.

Here in West Portland there are are many twists and curves, all with heavy vegetation and very narrow shoulders. Bikers and joggers do appreciate some warning with something approaching at many times their speed, especially from behind. I turn off the app and run silent when in the right conditions. ;)

In heavy downtown traffic, pedestrians will glance over and bikers will shift right, when they otherwise wouldn't. I'm not sure the traditional engine growl is the way to do it, but I do think with more EV's on the road, we need some solution. BTW, the Zero's horn is freekin' loud! That is the situation I've scared bikers with. I have the same issue crawling through the parking lot in the Volt. People still use audio cues.

After I wrote the below, I realize it sounds like a lecture...but it isn't meant to be--it's meant to help clarify to anyone reading this thread what the circumstances and actions are, and what they might be instead to make the whole situation better for everyone involved.

So hopefully you wont' be offended by any of my response. :)

djgipp said:
Here in West Portland there are are many twists and curves, all with heavy vegetation and very narrow shoulders. Bikers and joggers do appreciate some warning with something approaching at many times their speed, especially from behind.

I'm still a little confused...it sounds like you're riding on multi-use-paths with them? At speeds a lot higher than they are?

Or are you on streets, with them on sidewalks or in their own bike lane or multi-use lane while you're in the regular traffic lanes, with sufficient distance (at least 3-4 feet) between you in your lane and them in theirs?

I ask because the distinction is important.

If it was the latter, I don't see what the problem is on their end, as they should be expecting all kinds of traffic to be passing them, and they should have (or at least by trying to have) awareness of what's coming up from behind them at all times anyway--if they don't, they are going to be run over someday by someone coming up way too fast not completley in their own lane, without sufficient clearance to go around them....

FWIW, that sort of thing is a problem anywhere--I sometimes see pedestrian teenagers (and sometimes adults), usually female, usually in groups, on the sidewalk, who are either texting on their phones or occupied with each other, who are surprised enough to actually jump into the air and even scream a little, when passed by cars who are well away from teh sidewalk the pedestrians are on, usually by at least a car's width. On rarer occasions, my passage, or that of a regular cyclist, by them will do the same.

If it was the former, even with me on an ebike (that I don't pedal cuz of my knees, and which itself looks more motorcycle than bike) I wouldn't want someone on a motorcycle (electric or not) zooming around on the same path with me, and I'd be upset about it too (here in Phoenix there are no paths I know of where any kind of motor vehicle is allowed (electric or other power assisted bicycles are specifically not MVs, but a Zero would technically be a motorcycle and not allowed. Though, if you did not license it or register it, and rode it always only under 20MPH, never faster, it would qualify as a bicycle, but then you could not ever use it as a motorcycle, cant' ride it on the freeway or certain other roads, and you'd probably be stopped and questioned as it doesn't have pedals...)).

BTW, the Zero's horn is freekin' loud! That is the situation I've scared bikers with.

That's probably why in AZ it's illegal to honk at cyclists, becuase you coudl frighten them into collisions or other accidents. If you care to, you might check the laws there to see if it's the same. (it doens't stop people from doing it, often to deliberately frighten them, and the police won't do a thing about it, but it's still unsafe and illegal here).

Any sudden loud noise anywhere near a cyclist or pedestrian that isn't paying attention is probably going to scare them. Even if they are paying attention if it happens when they are close enough to the source, like if its' passing them, it could easily spook them momentarily enough to make them turn their head so quickly to look that they also turn the bike to follow, and since that is toward the source of the noise, it has a chance of causing the collision the honker intended to avoid, or of causing the honkee ;) to crash or fall for other reasons, becoming injured or killed in the process.

For curiosity: Why do you need to honk at them, anyway?

Are they about to cross your path suddenly as you go by? In that case, your best option (if there is time and no one else behind you) is probably to slow down and/or swing wide of them to left *or* right, whichever is possible, so you don't run them over, and let them do their dumb maneuver (of crossing a traffic path without looking) cuz honking could jsut scare them into doing something even dumber and getting someone hurt or killed.

If you are simply passing by them as normal traffic would, then there is no need to do anythign at all--just pass them. If they dont' know you're there, they will when you do it.

If they are riding erratically or you think they might do something that could cause a collision, go around them with more room than you think you need to assure that doenst' happen, and slow down (or speed up) if necessary, just like you would for any other collision-avoidance situation.

If there's an imminent collision because of their maneuver that you can't otherwise avoid, your horn might be a good idea to let them know you're coming...but almost always you should be able to see and avoid just by normal riding/driving techniques, if you are paying close enough attention to the other traffic on or near the road. (I know most people driving cars don't, but more often motorcyclists do learn to do this, at least after the first few collisions or laydowns if they survive them).

If you want something besides a horn, and still want a silent ride, perhaps you could add a version of a bicycle bell on there. If you can find one, old teletypes have a rather loud bell on them, that could be heard at larger distances (given your likely higher rate of approach). I had such a bell for CrazyBike2 but it's been lost so it just has a regular bike bell these days (and car horns for use on the roads for the very very rare occasion I need one).

This is a good discussion and exactly why I posted here. No offense taken or I hope given. Consider the day when we have 100% EV on our roads, and we will need to have thought a few of these things out. :)

I live in Portland's West Hills, and getting into downtown involves a trip up and over Council Crest. Each road in this area is very curvy/narrow, barely 2 lane, and completely lacking in sidewalks and shoulders. Due to the reduced traffic and steep grades this area is also extremely popular with joggers and bikers, despite these obstacles. People will bike and run in from all over to get their hill workouts in. Very often (on my 250 gas bike) I will come up behind bicyclists 2-3-4 wide. Should they be riding this way? Well probably not. But regardless, often there is a mini-peloton of riders... but they will yield and go single file when they hear the gas bike approaching. Cars do have quite a bit of tire noise (plus engine noise uphill) and if you are a road biker in Portland you are attuned to this as well.

But with just a few trips on the Zero, I've already found some issues. I came up behind a few riders, and they had NO idea I was there. I'd rather not cross lanes on a blind corner, and the horn proved just way too rude and unnecessary. Hill climbs are much slower on a bike than a Zero. So zipping by silently is also surprising to these riders. (or joggers) as there is again NO shoulder or sidewalk at all. Joggers do not always use the opposing lane, as it can be completely choked with Himalayan blackberries or they may be cutting right at the next turn and only on the main road for a block.

Downhill is a different problem. Portland bikers are fearless and will easily match speed even though they are much less protected than your typical cycle rider. I was (silently) coming up behind a guy the other day and was right beside him with no way at all to let him know I was there. I gave him space, but unlike a car he never knew I was there. I'd never use a horn in that situation. I was wishing I had SOME way to let him know I was there. On a road bicycle I will click the brake levers when passing and that is enough. The ZERO is silent.

I don't want to sound like an ice cream truck coming down the road (although that would be funny), so some traditional engine noise seemed about right.

I'm not saying these problems exist everywhere, but they do in a LOT of locations where it is fun to ride electric motorcycles. I can actually envision a day when some dB level is required for moving vehicles, like headlight strength, etc. Weird thought.

Thanks for the discussion....always up for more.

-D

For a recorded sound I say use the sound of a flying car from the Jetsons. For authentic sound my vote is a bicycle bell, which is like a friendly "hello, I'm coming thru".

I believe the folks walking/jogging/running are supposed (or recommended) to do it on the streetside facing oncoming traffic. In reality, they never adhere to that guideline. Once in a great while, I'll see a runner in the street, closest to the curb/parked side, jogging towards traffic.

From my experience, I've always felt safer walking on the side facing oncoming traffic. I don't do it all the time. But, if I have a long stretch of distance to cover or the road doesn't have a sidewalk, I'll do it.

nice V8 sound, and very cool setup.

Maybe using the sound of thunder & lightning for the horn... then ride past with the sound of the Jetson's hovercar would be better than revving a V8.

amberwolf said:
one of the main attractions of the electric is the silence of the vehicle, so we can instead enjoy the world around us, instead of inflicting ourselves upon it. ;)

nailed it!

Silent vehicles mean more hooning options.

djgipp said:
I picked up an awesome 2011 Zero S recently on Craigslist (Thanks Linas.) After scaring the sh*t out of a handful of bikers/joggers, I decided to rig up an app I also use on my Volt. (XLR8). It produces a nice idle sound, and also will throttle/shift/brake in response to the bike's acceleration. Zero really needs to just build this into their app. The speaker mounting is still a bit ghetto, although it's not going anywhere. I will probably print out a new housing that fits in the lower cooling cowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr6V6zxKReg

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mr6V6zxKReg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

I tried xlr8 but it crashes after the first day. Did you do anything specific to get past that problem? Or haven't you experienced it? It does seem to be a common complaint on their feedback

When I worked at Harman, they were developing a system that did this for hybrids and EV's. No offense, but I thought is was the dumbest project the company had ever undertaken. I saw it as an assault on the EV--how better to take the shine off than to cancel out one of the technology's cardinal virtues? I'm not sure if they're still pursuing this or not. In an even dumber project, they (and others) were working on such a device for Harley Davidson's. This was a response to noise ordinances that ban loud pipes. This sounded just the same, but skirts the law because it can be turned off by the rider when deemed "appropriate". Lame in the extreme.

Fisker handles this the right way, IMO. Below 15 mph (or is it 20?), the car emits a very low level noise that sounds kind of like an electric guitar in a blender--it's a neat sound that's easy on the ears. You don't hear it until the car is very near you, and when you're in traffic (where road noise dominates with even most modern ICE vehicles) it shuts off because YOU DON'T NEED IT. In my Hymotion Prius, I've had guys step right out in front of me in parking lots and then shoot me a look like I was trying to kill them. Grow TF up and watch where you're going is my advice for those guys. What if I had been on a bicycle? Do bicycles make engine noises to prevent startling joggers? Should they? We need to use a little imagination here or we will lose (possibly to legislation) one of the greatest benefits these vehicles have to offer--a moment of peace and quiet. In your case, I would think it to be a whole lot easier and just as effective to tone down the level of the horn.

It's hard for most of us to appreciate because we've never known anything else, but I believe the constant roar of machinery we hear every time we step outside is a major source of unconscious stress for many people. It would be tragic to throw away a chance to do away with a major component of noise pollution IMO.

Thinking more on this, I can see why you wouldn't just want to tone down your regular horn. You want that emergency horn to be as loud as possible for those times when you're about to be killed. I like amberwolf's idea of a bike bell or some other manual alarm that's on the quieter side for the tight twisty road situations you describe. Call it a "courtesy horn"...maybe a beeper like on a forklift for "up close" use.

Sorry for the militant tone of my first post....your video took me right back to those damn industrial systems that mimicked ICE sounds. They were actually anticipating (lobbying for?) legislation requiring this stuff, and most sounds were nothing more than imitations of various ICE engines....mostly race/muscle cars. This was on a Prius. The noises could be played on the interior speakers as well and responded to throttle so that you might not ever notice that the ICE was actually off an any time....what fun! I was frankly appalled that anyone would propose requiring such a thing on EV's, and with it flushing one of the EV's greatest promises down the toilet. I heard news story once where a pizza delivery company in Europe had put noisemakers that blare truly obnoxious advertising on the company electric scooters in the name of safety. I wanted to shoot the radio. I'm quite sensitive to noise, and I'm aware of it enough to feel that a world without ICE noise (let alone continuous sonic advertising) would be nothing short of a miracle for my mindset. I really do believe it's a much greater irritant than most of us realize.

This isn't so much of an issue on my bike because of the chain noise. I believe the Zero uses a belt, so I can imagine you've got super-stealth capability, which is awesome. I think it's beautiful when I go by someone working in their yard and they have no idea that I was ever even there. I can understand your ambivalence about having only the stock horn though. Add a low-volume courtesy horn; that's my vote.

Nobody has the right to dictate what someone else should like or dislike. So long as those likes or dislikes don't disadvantage anyone else. If you care so much about this world the best thing you could do for it is take a chill pill.

in my case I frequently need to navigate through crowds, some noise would warn them I am approaching. ICE noise just adds some novelty and will keep them guessing.

John in CR said:
For a recorded sound I say use the sound of a flying car from the Jetsons. For authentic sound my vote is a bicycle bell, which is like a friendly "hello, I'm coming thru".

I've done this before, there's an app for that!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mjp.SpaceCar

It's a speedometer that changes the frequency of the jetson's car sound based on your speed. Works okay, though I wish it was more responsive. The GPS doesn't seem to update fast enough to make it realtime. Played this through my scooter's stereo for a while before I got sick of it.

Oh boy, I have expected somehing which is connected with your throttle where you can adjust the sound... But that´s quite boring. Yes, a kid-solution for being heared by others, but nothing I would use.. I would use an Arduino which is connected with your Throttle and in the end it should be like the more volts are coming through the PIN1, the louder or the more aggressive the sound sounds like.

Back