Evo Powerboard Refurb/Upgrade Project

whitep

10 mW
I recently picked up my first powerboard of eBay a few months back for £100. I got it as a toy for fun but it needed some TLC and i though why repair when I can upgrade.... now I have the bug.

This is the Powerboard as it was advertised on the bay. It is a 36V 800W powerboard.

As you can see TLC was needed, lots of rust/corrosion and the seat post was stuck in with rust, deck broken, throttle broken, brakes not working, horn and light chopped off and the brake wires were cut off.

I will post photos and progress....

OK, so this weekend I cleaned it up and fitted my 48V 800W hub motor and matching front wheel and controller purchased from Tony at uumotor. To be honest the controller could have done with some setting up instructions. But Tony set me straight. The controller has reverse, cruise control (wired to my turbo button... nice!), electronic braking and aparrently regen braking but I am yet to get the information from Tony to find out how to set it up.

The tyre is the biggest tyre that will fit on these types of powerboards. Only 1/2 clearance or so.

The old brake discs dont fit, for these wheels I need ones from a mini dirt bike, with 37mm diameter holes in the centre. The powerboard ones are 27mm. Ordered from Funbikes.

I need to fit a 4th SLA to go from 36V to 48V, I have a plan....

Looks a lot better after your TLC!
Do you have a photo of the rear with the upgraded motor? Good luck and keep us updated.

I spotted I had damaged the cable coming out of the hub motor along the way, so whn I fit the Lyen controller on order I will have to do some soldering and heat shrinking, but insulating tape will do for now, how annoying. But also the new deck turned up so thats fitted now too and you can see where I have put the 4th battery, until I get my Li-Polys in and rinning.

The whole powerboard weights a tonne now! I can barely lift it.

vax said:
Whitep, can you give link to this motor, I browsed their site, but couldn't find 800w version

I contacted UUmotor and discussed it with them.The contact is:

"Tony Zhang" <sales@uumotor.com>

Its this one I think:

https://www.uumotor.com/12-inch-500w-gearless-hub-motor-direct-drive-regen-braking.html

But the controller I have doesnt support regen, and Itold them I wanted 48V 800W. I will say the motor does not have as much torque as the standard motor, but I think that might be down to the thinner power wires that can be upgraded and the shunt might help. Anyway I will worry about that once I get the new controller in.

I have the batteries and lyen controller up and running

Its a bit of a birdnest but that's about as tidy as I can get it.

The batteries are 16s1p 10c 10ah and I tell you what it goes like stink. But I have to check the various hall sensor and phase cable configurations to get the best configuration.

Also a bigger mudguard is definitely required.

Back