Mid-mount Hubmonster Madass

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
maydaverave
10 kW
10 kW

Re: Mid-mount Hubmonster Madass

Post by maydaverave » Jan 04, 2018 4:18 am

Interested how this turns out. I have a kymco kpipe that i stuffed a 155cc pitbike engine into. its a pain to keep running and i have been thinking about converting. I believe the madass and kpipe have the same motor mounts. edit just saw your new frame guess you wont be using stock motor mounts.
e-bikekit 50v 9.2ah cellman pack

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Jan 04, 2018 5:48 am

maydaverave wrote:
Jan 04, 2018 4:18 am
... edit just saw your new frame guess you wont be using stock motor mounts.
Actually my motor mount is almost 100% stock. It took just a minute or two with a file to slide my previously modded axle HubMonster onto the Sachs swingarm. :mrgreen: It's the closest to stock motor mount I've ever been able to use on any ebike.

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Ohbse,

Time to get yours on the road. I finished mine late last week and been riding it daily. I ended up as just over the stock 125CC's weight with mine at 104kg, so thank goodness I ditched that heavy frame and did a monocoque steel one. Here are a few pics, though I don't have one yet in finished form with the bottom cover and rear fender. My pack is 115V nominal 26ah. Don't know the top speed yet as I haven't had a deserted highway...yet. I'll do a walk around video soon, as well as a ride video with Analogger overlay dashboard and gps info.
Here's the frame and swingarm after paint
MadAss frame and swingarm after paint sml.JPG
MadAss frame and swingarm after paint sml.JPG (42.95 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Here's my battery and controller rack that slides into the monocoque frame from the bottom
MadAss batt and controllers sml.JPG
MadAss batt and controllers sml.JPG (57.07 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Here she is road ready without the bottom cover, rear fender, and foot peg bracket.
MadAss without bottom cover sml.JPG
MadAss without bottom cover sml.JPG (61.12 KiB) Viewed 453 times

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Go Third World lack of regulation!

I'm glad I don't have to wait at lights with Third World vehicles. It's bad enough lingering around non-compliant USA vehicles. Hopefully I can hold off the cancer for another couple of decades.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 06, 2018 8:41 am

Chalo wrote:
Mar 05, 2018 11:51 pm
Go Third World lack of regulation!

I'm glad I don't have to wait at lights with Third World vehicles. It's bad enough lingering around non-compliant USA vehicles. Hopefully I can hold off the cancer for another couple of decades.
We have regulations here, just not oppressive ebike laws written by prejudiced pedalists. Instead we have a 49cc limit for gassers, and a 5000W limit for electric, which makes perfect sense for useful ebikes in mountainous terrain. Your opinions and approach hinder the inevitable broad spread use of electric transportation, and that is a bad thing.

There's nothing unsafe about my bike. It has full lighting, better than stock brakes, and good tires. I could even go to the trouble and expense of making it a plated vehicle, but why on earth would I voluntarily pay the extra money and inconvenience every year if I don't have to.

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Voltron » Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Pretty hard to see how lingering behind the particular vehicle is going to up anybodys cancer rate...

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 07, 2018 2:49 am

Voltron wrote:
Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm
Pretty hard to see how lingering behind the particular vehicle is going to up anybodys cancer rate...
His particular vehicle? Naw, the only harm there is getting in front of it. But the same lax standards and lack of enforcement that allow him to run an unlicensed, uninspected homemade motorcycle also allow some really nasty hydrocarbon stinkers, which are much more popular. You don't get one without the other, it seems.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Voltron » Mar 07, 2018 5:06 am

You don't get one without the other? That's some world class conflation there.

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am

My point is that not adequately regulating things that go on the road gets you vile stinking smoggers alongside uninsured, uninspected, unregistered homemade electric motorcycles. We can like one better than the other, but it's the same dereliction of the common interest that makes them both practicable.

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 09, 2018 12:58 am

Chalo wrote:
Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am
My point is that not adequately regulating things that go on the road gets you vile stinking smoggers alongside uninsured, uninspected, unregistered homemade electric motorcycles. We can like one better than the other, but it's the same dereliction of the common interest that makes them both practicable.
"Dereliction of the common interest", what a bunch of BS. Your typical liberal stance on everything that somehow bigger government and more regulation is good couldn't miss the target more. Add your consistent prejudice against any ebike more powerful than the weakest pedelec to an absolute ignorance of regulation and enforcement of laws in this country, and the result is your laughable posts so common in thread where I post.

What do you guys think is safer for others (ie in the common interest)?
1. 400+lbs of Chalo+bicycle powered by animal and produce products made by big industry, while he's riding completely without regulation on streets being a slow moving nuisance to motorists and on multi-use pathways designed for and used primarily by pedestrians.
or
2. 400+lbs of John+ebike powered almost 100% by renewable sources (water, wind, solar, geothermal) via drastically more efficient and clean electricity), while he's riding 100% on the streets, paying tolls on the highway every day, and not only being courteous and safe, but never once in 10yrs of ebiking have I inconvenienced another motorist. In other words being a good ambassador for electrics, while at the same time demonstrating their distinct advantage and potential to an uneducated public.
---note: Keep in mind that food is such an expensive and inefficient power source for transportation, that despite my vehicles' much higher mechanical power and far shorter transit times, my real cost of operation is far lower. Once you go beyond raw energy costs and include the full impact on the world of the industrial food supply chain, it's quite obvious whose transportation is "in the common interest.".

SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW

Post by SlowCo » Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm

I love your Hubmonster MadAss.
But you're missing the point. It all comes down to insurance or the ability to compensate those you hit or run over.
Hopefully this will never happen but if a vehicle isn't legal it is uninsured. And in case of an accident the owner will be liable for all the costs. So as long as you're able to cough up a few hundred thousand for medical bills etc. for a potential victim, there is no problem riding illegal vehicles. Maybe in your place this e-bike is a legal and you'll insure it but most builders of unregistered vehicles just "take the risk"...

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm not missing any point. My vehicles are 100% legal. Though I'm not required to carry typical motor vehicle insurance, I am covered by insurance for any harms I cause through an umbrella liability coverage for me and my family. Do you think Chalo is covered similarly? I doubt it, and he is far more likely to cause an injury than I am, because he rides in closer proximate to exposed persons. What's the likelihood of me running over a pedestrian in a crosswalk while I'm stopped at a stop light, since that's the only time they're exposed to me.