Honda MT50 road legal conversion

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
spata   1 W

1 W

Re: Honda MT50 road legal conversion

Post by spata » Oct 06 2017 9:23am

If you look at the 5th post in this thread it goes through the process of getting it road legal.

I have found a better link to the magazine article about the conversion. Have a look here. You can read the article online with no need for a download. The formatting is not the same as the magazine...but the content is the same.

-Spata

Okami   10 W

10 W

Post by Okami » Jul 15 2019 5:22am

Just wanted to drop by to tell this is a very nice conversion.

Just read that u spent 2500 hours on this which just seems like a crazy number.

Been slowly thinking about a way to make road legal electric moped as well.

Havent really looked into what donor bike / moped might be suitable.

Seems like getting older gas moped is the way to go, as u mentioned, this makes the whole process a lot easier than if it was custom made one or if used bicycle frame.

As about battery, so only 15miles of range or have u installed more batteries?

I guess to get 20mile range, i would need at least 1kwh battery pack. This seems doable, if 200wh pack can be bought for 100eur or so.

Would probably look into using Rc motor as well,.maybe 2x 63 size motors as i dont have any 80 size ones yet

spata   1 W

1 W

Post by spata » Jul 18 2019 3:42am

I have 1.1kwh of battery for my 15 miles range. So, for 20 miles I would be looking at 1.5kwh.
When you do your calculations don't forget that you will only get around 80% of rated battery capacity, you can get slightly higher but your battery life will suffer.

I don't think I would use an RC motor if I did it again. They definitely need to be sensored and you will struggle to find a controller that works well. The relatively high KV and pole count means that you need a controller that can handle around 60-70k eRPM and all the latest sine controllers are all targeted for hubs and do not go that high.

You will also need 2 stage reduction system of some sort and all that additional weight would better be used for the iron and copper in the motor. The main reason I used RC Motor + jackshaft was to keep the chain sprocket to swingarm center spacing the same as stock.... so the handling was not affected.

Whichever way you decide to go - good luck with the build.

- Spata